Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 18:35   #46

Boat: Columbia 24
Re: Heating System Question?

This thread is in the twilight zone. OP, you have stated you have no boating experience. I suggest you get a couple of dinghies or a fishing boat, get those kids on the water and start by learning some boat-handling and boating safety. Take a Power Squadron course. Find out if you even like being on the water. Right now, you have the cart about a mile in front of the horse. Heating systems, for crying out loud!
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53   #47

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I am not to concerned about the boat any more as it seem GG plans on buying a reasonable size boat with good potentially as live aboard. However, I am still concerned about the area, marina andf slip. As the Boston winters are colt, wet and windy.

The marina and slip are equally important as the boat, maybe even more so. The boat presently does not have an adequate heating system so one will have to be installed. Estimated 20+ grand installed. It’s my understanding the marina does not have sanitation at the slip or a sanitation boat, so the boat has to be moved? If there was not one in our marina I would invest in one. Estimated 5 grand. Also the water is turned off during the freezing weather and the water from a hose on the land. The actually slip is also important as to location and safety.

Now don’t get me wrong, we were newbie, metro sexual yuppies when we bought the boat. We did not make it though the first cold windy winter, the second year we did but there were days we spent is a warm/dry hotel. The third years the boat, marina, slip and we where ready after 30+ grand of up grades improvements and changing slips.marinas three times. During the second year our daughter and 3 grand children, new born, 2 and 7, living with us for two years. Boat was ready but the slip as not conducive for young children as the floating dock rock and rolled during high winds, so move to oppiste side of the lake. So it can be done. However we had funds, and plan B if necessary.

Being that most newbie do not make it thru the first year, average less than 3 years, and females are the first to move off even with a large live aboard ready boat the odds are not favorable. So I hope GG also as a plan B if necessary, and does not sink/spend all her funds into buying the boat.

After GG buys a boat a new saga/story will start to unfold, which should be interesting!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:10   #48

Boat: Seaward 22

don't forget you need to get the diesel to the boat. depending on the size of your tanks you could need it twice or three times during the winter. having to hire a captain to move you to the fuel dock (if they pump in the winter) should be in your budget.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 18:39   #49

Luckily, there is a fuel delivery boat and a city pump out boat
Old 11-08-2013, 08:33   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Luckily, there is a fuel delivery boat and a city pump out boat

Good to hear there is a pump out boat. The boat size boat you are looking at the tanks should be big enough to get thru the winter. Anyway, I am looking forward to th.e next sage
Old 11-08-2013, 11:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Good to hear there is a pump out boat. The boat size boat you are looking at the tanks should be big enough to get thru the winter. Anyway, I am looking forward to th.e next sage
Me too Phil...me too
Old 12-08-2013, 18:21   #52

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Luckily, there is a city pump out boat

SURE---I can just picture the happy, smiling faces chasing feces with a 25 knot snotty wind blowing in their faces and on demand at that!!! YUP, right on!!!

And then there is reality. Where we dock our boat in Massachusetts there are THOUSANDS of docked/moored boats serviced by one (1) poop sucker that is available by appointment on Saturday and Sunday mornings only, excluding holidays
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:58   #53

We get pump every week so we are first on the list. However, we use the land/marina restrooms when ever possible.
Old 14-08-2013, 09:42   #54

Boat: Clipper

Quote:
Thanks for the info Phil!

What does "transferring diesel to trim the boat" mean?
Depending on design & install. Fuels are "Water / Diesel". Trim is weight distribution, to avoid "Listing", Fuels may consume at different rates depending on climates, Placing water tanks on port / Diesel on Starboard may help, but Forward center for water and aft center for Diesel [or visa-versa] not only prevents listing, but also aides in "Planing" vessel is VERY BEST solution if possible, AUTO TRIMMING DESIGN.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 16:51   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
Depending on design & install. Fuels are "Water / Diesel". Trim is weight distribution, to avoid "Listing", Fuels may consume at different rates depending on climates, Placing water tanks on port / Diesel on Starboard may help, but Forward center for water and aft center for Diesel [or visa-versa] not only prevents listing, but also aides in "Planing" vessel is VERY BEST solution if possible, AUTO TRIMMING DESIGN.
So, do I have this right? The liquids in the boat have to be balanced, to avoid leaning to one side?
Old 17-08-2013, 18:46   #56

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
So, do I have this right? The liquids in the boat have to be balanced, to avoid leaning to one side?
Managed is a better word than balanced and every boat is a little different...even exact same model boats may be plumbed and engine different...so where tanks are placed and managed can be for many different reasons.

But yes...most powerboats want to run "balanced" though it is a tad more complicated than that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 21:01   #57

Post Re: Heating System Question?

Yes, and tipping, forward/rear [bow/aft] which allows vessel to rise up
[planing] out of water to achieve BEST fuel economy and max speeds.

Water boils/steams different at varying;
altitudes-temperatures-humidity-salinity.

Diesel burn rate differs too. The; [CENTER - BOW / CENTER - AFT] is always, ABSOLUTE BEST liquid storage arrangement when possible including "fresh/grey/black" water storage tanks on ALL Marine vessels.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 22:21   #58

Quote:

YES, but all possible [4] directions; - AFT, - PORT, - BOW, - STARBOARD
Old 18-08-2013, 03:56   #59

All of this is relative the mass of the liquids and the total displacement of the boat. For example on a smaller boat if all the crew is on once side the boat will list to that side... so 5 men can move say 1000 pounds from one beam to the other. In a boat of a displacement of say 10,000 pounds that 10% of the mass. On a 50,000 pound boat it would be 2%. Designers consider the variable nature of liquids and stowage and should provide strategies to deal with this.... tanks on either side of CL and so on and position near fore and aft CL. Some tanks are connected and liquids flow to make then the same level in both tanks... or they can be isolated and so forth. Trim management is a consideration... mostly when the variable mass is a high percentage of displacement.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 08:14   #60

Being a live aboard the trim of the boat is costantly changing as diesei. watef and waste are used and added. So each week the fluids have to be evaluated and after you get to know the boat its part of the daily weekly routine. Like the waste gets pumped every week so if the boat continues to list it has to be looked at. I know the boat well enough I can tell by the water line and the way the way doors hang open or closed.

The diesel is the only fluid that has to be transferred as it is used from one tank to another but not on a daily, weekly or monthly. So trimming the boat will become part of the routine.

Tags
heating