Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 16:09   #1

Guns aboard

Hello all,
A certain family member of mine, keeps saying that if I am going to cruise, especially being a female with kids, that I should be armed. I responded saying that I don't want to end up under a jail in a foreign country some where because the authorities find a gun on my boat.

What do you guys think about traveling armed? Do you keep them, or is it too risky?
Old 24-06-2013, 16:19   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Guns aboard

You have been reading this forum for 9 months and you STILL just asked that question????

Going for a shutdown record here?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-06-2013, 16:23   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Yup..plenty of posts on here about this...dunno that we want to start that debate again !!
Old 24-06-2013, 16:25   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Forget about carrying guns while cruising; not a good idea. A few cans of pepper/bear spray is your next best thing; buy them from Army/Navy surplus stores. A spear-gun for "fishing" is also a good idea; with extra parts. (Some spears have a reloadable slot/chamber for a single bullet, at the tip. When the spear-gun is fired, it is like you fired a real gun.)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 24-06-2013, 16:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

guns are a waste of time on a boat......what you really need is a rocket launcher
Old 24-06-2013, 16:35   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
guns are a waste of time on a boat......what you really need is a rocket launcher
I normally would agree with you but rocket launchers are useless if you have one of these.

Old 24-06-2013, 16:36   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
What do you guys think about traveling armed? Do you keep them, or is it too risky?

need to spend more time to write a more catchy opening question for a gun new thread
Old 24-06-2013, 16:38   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The problem is most countries do not want you to bring guns into them. They have very strict laws about turning the guns in or even confiscating them and very inconvenient to get them back when you leave. Some countries are more relaxed but do your research carefully. Mexico and French Polynesia are two that are very unfriendly to fire arms on a boat. Penalties for disobeying the laws are often draconian from Jail time through boat forfeiture. Even though I agree with your family member on the reasons for being armed, the hassles and potential penalties just don't make it worthwhile.

Find a way to discourage would be thieves or unwanted visitors other than fire arms. A few have been mentioned. Others are flare guns capable of firing 12 gauge shotgun shells but that may be illegal in some places. Bang sticks used for discouraging shark attacks, and simply a way to lock up the boat while still allowing ventilation.
Old 24-06-2013, 16:43   #9

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jean luc.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	63133  
Old 24-06-2013, 16:44   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Ask the certain family member what is more risky. Your going to places without a gun or your spending time in jail in those places?

I'd rather take my chances without a gun than spending time in a prison in many of those locations.
Old 24-06-2013, 16:58   #11

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Guns and people just don't mix and usually end up with results not intended. Enjoy the cruising and leave the guns behind.
Old 24-06-2013, 19:54   #12

Sorry, I've been so wrapped up in my "what boat to buy" cocoon that I must have missed the gun threads.
I just needed confirmation that I was right. I told them it would be a problem in other countries, but the person doesn't seem to think so.
I'll take heed that it's a bad idea.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 24-06-2013, 20:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The problem is most countries do not want you to bring guns into them. They have very strict laws about turning the guns in or even confiscating them and very inconvenient to get them back when you leave. Some countries are more relaxed but do your research carefully. Mexico and French Polynesia are two that are very unfriendly to fire arms on a boat. Penalties for disobeying the laws are often draconian from Jail time through boat forfeiture. Even though I agree with your family member on the reasons for being armed, the hassles and potential penalties just don't make it worthwhile.

Find a way to discourage would be thieves or unwanted visitors other than fire arms. A few have been mentioned. Others are flare guns capable of firing 12 gauge shotgun shells but that may be illegal in some places. Bang sticks used for discouraging shark attacks, and simply a way to lock up the boat while still allowing ventilation.
Agreed.
Old 24-06-2013, 20:09   #14

I carry. That doesn't mean you should. If/when you visit a part of the world that has pirates, that would be the entire planet btw count yourself lucky if they only rob you. More than likely they will rob you then gang rape you in front of your kids then kill all of you. How do I know this you ask? I was a Force Recon Marine for 10 years and on the 2 meu's that I floated on we dealt with pirates. Besides those meu's I did 6 combat tours I am familiar with bad guys and guns. Guns and people mix well contrary to public opinion an armed society is a POLITE society.

Scott
Old 24-06-2013, 20:14   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

By all means carry a gun, few things though,
1. there are great lumps of the world that wont let you have it
2, I hope you are a better shot than the armed guys attacking you and
3. are you prepared to kill, quickly and without hesitation?
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns