Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2013, 21:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Guns aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Award for the funniest and most appropriate post of the month.

Old 24-06-2013, 21:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post
I carry. That doesn't mean you should. If/when you visit a part of the world that has pirates, that would be the entire planet btw count yourself lucky if they only rob you. More than likely they will rob you then gang rape you in front of your kids then kill all of you. How do I know this you ask? I was a Force Recon Marine for 10 years and on the 2 meu's that I floated on we dealt with pirates. Besides those meu's I did 6 combat tours I am familiar with bad guys and guns. Guns and people mix well contrary to public opinion an armed society is a POLITE society.

Scott
Most Americans I know on boats would prefer to carry firearms onboard. No one's arguing that they'd prefer to do it, but rather the reality of international voyaging. Your American civil liberties end at the border, and vessels are randomly inspected stem to stern.

Old 24-06-2013, 21:32   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres plenty of places to go where theres no real pirates!! I think it's about time for you to show you are for real and not just another Troller !! You started out looking for one type of boat and have since then changed everything you were first looking for! then came all the other posts asking questions such as this one about gun's! Don't ya think you need to get back on the boat looking horse and maybe some of us who have tryed to help, will feel a little better about being trolled!! Just a thought
Old 24-06-2013, 21:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
By all means carry a gun, few things though,
1. there are great lumps of the world that wont let you have it
2, I hope you are a better shot than the armed guys attacking you and
3. are you prepared to kill, quickly and without hesitation?
1. There are great lumps of the world I won't visit

2. I'm still alive after fighting the most horrendous evil in afghan 4 tours so yea I've proficiency knocked out.

3. Are you kidding me???? What is the world come to? Why would anyone not be willing to knock off a bad guy to protect there family and belongings?!!!
Old 24-06-2013, 21:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
3. Are you kidding me???? What is the world come to? Why would anyone not be willing to knock off a bad guy to protect there family and belongings?!!!
Very common for people that aren't trained in combat or firearms to freeze and not pull the trigger, even in a life and death situation. Or to panic and fire wildly.

So a very valid question to most boaters, are you willing and able to take a gun and kill another person? Even more relevant question, if you have a gun on board are you able to calmly judge when you should and should not use it?
Old 24-06-2013, 21:52   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So a very valid question to most boaters, are you willing and able to take a gun and kill another person? Even more relevant question, if you have a gun on board are you able to calmly judge when you should and should not use it?
There are people on here who would have no problem putting a bullet in the back of a 12 year old kid who popped their cockpit compass out with a screwdriver.

Out of this thread, it always draws the crazies with the rambo fantasies.
Old 24-06-2013, 21:53   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
1. There are great lumps of the world I won't visit

2. I'm still alive after fighting the most horrendous evil in afghan 4 tours so yea I've proficiency knocked out.

Sorry - should have been clearer - my comments were addressed to the OP not yourself.
Old 24-06-2013, 21:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I fought in a war as my father did before me, and his father before him.

I'm not putting a bullet in a dirt poor islander who tries to steal my fishing pole.
Old 24-06-2013, 21:57   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There are people on here who would have no problem putting a bullet in the back of a 12 year old kid who popped their cockpit compass out with a screwdriver.
Maybe not quite so egregious as your example, but regrettably something to this effect is probably quite true.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I fought in a war as my father did before me, and his father before him.

I'm not putting a bullet in a dirt poor islander who tries to steal my fishing pole.
Really? I'm not buying it. The pirates I've dealt with when I was with 1st then 3rd force recon had loot IN THERE POSSESION that was worth in excess of 3 million bucks! Everybody here is gonna think I'm gonna say we were near Somalia but geuss what it was in the Med and second time was 2 days out of Okinawa! They are everywhere they are violent and since they have made the decision to cross that line that separates criminals from the rest of us they can and WILL do anything if you aren't able to defend yourself.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:05   #26

I've raw water strainers to clean you folks have a good one. I'm gonna let this horse rest.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:11   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Really? I'm not buying it. The pirates I've dealt with when I was with 1st then 3rd force recon had loot IN THERE POSSESION that was worth in excess of 3 million bucks! Everybody here is gonna think I'm gonna say we were near Somalia but geuss what it was in the Med and second time was 2 days out of Okinawa! They are everywhere they are violent and since they have made the decision to cross that line that separates criminals from the rest of us they can and WILL do anything if you aren't able to defend yourself.
Anyone or any group with $3 million worth of "loot" in there [sic] possession is not some poor islander stealing a fishing pole or even a dinghy off a yacht but an organized operation preying on commercial vessels.

Any group like this will certainly have 100 times more firepower than you could carry on a sailboat or legally purchase, even in the US.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:26   #28
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

The people telling you to take a bang stick are wrong they along with spear guns are not allowed into most country's.also if you did kill the guy what are you going to tell local police, I shot him with my gun I smuggled into your country?that will land you in for murder even if you in the right and god forbid that guy is a coastie.
Old 24-06-2013, 23:58   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

If you are uncertain about what may happen if you were unlucky enough to injure or kill someone outside of America this thread should be required reading.
Old 25-06-2013, 00:04   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

We ALWAYS carry firearms on board when in the USA where it's legal to do so and the guns are properly registered and legal to own in the State we are in.

We NEVER have firearms on board in foreign countries where they're illegal to posses and can get us into big trouble. Would we prefer to have them on board? Sure, but we're not willing to take the chance or deal with the hassles.

Note: Having the wrong weapons on board can also get you into big trouble in the USA. You'll need to check the firearms laws in each State you plan to visit. The firearms laws also vary from city to city within a State.

And yes, you WILL be boarded in the USA by Homeland Security and the Coast Guard.... and you better have your ducks in order regarding the firearms when it happens.

Tags
Guns

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: