Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 15:14   #1

Good night sleep.

Ahoy fellow mariners,

This is my first post, new member. Recently, I purchase an old 1977 Marine Trading International, aka Marine Trader. It's a big boat, 43'6" LOA, 14'4" beam with twin Ford Lehman engines in very good condition. The fuel tanks were replace by the previous owner d the window, port holes have all been rebidded, sealed but she still has the leaky, teaky decks. The problem is I like those decks. I have search the internet and discover guys ripping off teak sealing the screw holes and deck with epoxy but I noticed on what few available photos I can find that the fiberglass under the teak, embedded in some kind of mastic showed no signs of delamination. So before I rip off my beautiful decks, why not remove the plugs, screws, epoxy the holes, replace the teak plugs and see what happens. Any comments, concerns or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, one more question, please, I want to remodel the cabin, does anyone have plans or pictures they can share in the construction of a real bed in the Master statement, and has anyone ever removed the old v-berths and replace them with a full size bed? The boat has 14' 4" beam I don't think its impossible to retrofit her with comfortable beds. What say ye Skippers?
uscg405958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:19   #2

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48
Re: Good night sleep.

Get yourself a few seam blades from Fein, a Multimaster or equivalent, a case of SIS 440 and a case or two of Heineken and go for it.
Removing all old caulk from the seams on my 44 footer and replacing with new caulk was quoted between $12K and $15K in the USA, $5500 in Guatemala. Did the seams, replaced some bungs, and replaced some trim for less than $1000.

Swear by the SIS 440, four years and no leaks.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:31   #3

Hi Ontnol,

Thanks for the advice. I will get out the blades, multimaster and sis.

Mike
uscg405958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, uscg405958.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote