Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2012, 16:30   #31

Re: Gas or Diesel on a 38-42' Cruiser?

Day will come when your diesel engine will run on cheap biofuel from algae, and perform just as well.

Old 25-10-2012, 20:48   #32

Boat: Careel 22

The Turbo Diesel in my old 94 Land Rover Discovery has 378,460KM on the clock and the motor is still going strong, so guess what engine I'll have in any cruising boat I buy and no, there's no cigar for getting the answer right

Old 31-10-2012, 04:24   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oregon Iron Works 8 Meter Former USN Launch

Diesel,
Having been through one boat fire is enough in it self... The other is co
poisoning. CO emissions from a gas engine and your dead. CO & Diesel you will wake up in a coughing fit but you won't die from CO poisoning. If it's not Diesel I wouldn't want it.
Old 31-10-2012, 06:13   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnhard_Marine View Post
Diesel,
Having been through one boat fire is enough in it self... The other is co
poisoning. CO emissions from a gas engine and your dead. CO & Diesel you will wake up in a coughing fit but you won't die from CO poisoning. If it's not Diesel I wouldn't want it.

Diesel is also my preference but I believe you are misinformed about diesel and CO. The effects of CO are cumulative, check out CO Poisoning on Boats
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58   #35

Boat: ocean yacht, 42' sunliner

We love our 471Ti detroits and they are very efficient as well, not that you can get them anymore but the new diesels are great compared to any gas engine and the longevity sells itself. Only worry you will have is a gas boat burning up beside you!
Old 23-02-2013, 16:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
The secret of keeping a diesel happy is simply to keep the engin clean, do the oil changes when reccommended in the manual and replace the air and oil filters as required in the service manual. Also a good moisture/water filter/trap in-line between the fuel-tank and the engine fuel pump could save you a lot of headaches...specially in the tropics.
I love your moniker. I'vw been telling people since i was a kid that today is the day to do what you wish to do not tomorrow! Now I'm telling people it dosent matter how old you are just do it while you can for tomorrow may never come.
You are absolutely right about clean engine well maintained. i have exclusively used shynthetic lubricants sine 1976 and never had an engine fail me
Old 21-05-2016, 19:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
"Pascoe says 1500 hours is all you can hope for between overhauls."
Ridiculous! An overhaul is expensive, if this were so how many boats would be built with diesel engines? Walk around a few docks, ask some owners questions. Better yet look at this site, www.boatdiesel.com
You can read posts there for nothing if you want toask a question on line you will have to register $25.00 per year if you have doubts about diesel engines it would be a good investment.
Back to diesel overhauls I would say the 5k-10k hours mentioned in two previous posts are much more realistic, for a reasonably operated, sized, and maintained diesel boat engine.
here is another opinion
"Diesel engines are built to finer tolerances than are gasoline engines. They will accept much more abuse and often deliver, if well maintained, 8,000 hours of hard work before need a major overhaul.
Good luck!
Steve
He is wrong. I learned when a kid that if you take an engine apart blueprint balance it yourself you can create an engine that will run forever. I say that because the couple of engines i did myself I worked untill they were perfectly balanced. Then after breakin i used a full synthetic motor oil at that time it was mobil 1 and both engines out lived the cars they were in one wore out two trucks and i still used for pumping water as far as I know at Martks farm in California. The new turbo engines are made to tighter tolerences and better balanced and I'll bet with out the turbo those engines would just keep on ticking

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: