Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 13:39   #1

Boat: Robalo R245
Angry Garmin GPSMAP 1040XS part 1

Recently purchased a ten year old 24' walkaround power boat that is in like new condition. I have been slowly up-grading a lot of the ten year old electronics. Being older, I wanted the biggest chartplotter I could fit in the dash to replace the old original factory installed Raymarine. After spending hours of research on forum's and websites, I went with Garmin as everyone said it was the best bang for the buck and simple to use and very user friendly. I really liked the "auto-guidance" feature as I am fairly new to the SW Florida area and there are so many places to explore, so I spent the extra $239 for the SWFL chip. What a waste of money that was. Not one of the half dozen places I've selected to go has taken me there without going by way of "china". And my biggest complaint is their Bluechart G2 charts don't show you the channel marker numbers. I couldn't believe anything so stupid. I came into a 'lteral" mine field of channel marker the other day where several channels came together and did not have a clue which way to go. The Garmin Rep. says, you just move the cursor over the marker to high-light it and it will show you the number. Wonderful.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps