Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 12:39   #1

Boat: Robalo R245
Garmin Chartplotters

Does anyone else have a problem with Garmin chartplotters not showing channel marker numbers? I am in SwFl where outside of marked channels is "No-Mans Land". On the first trip out after installing my new $2000 Garmin, I was in an area where the channel markers were like a mine field. I'm looking at my chart trying to decide which way to go and there are no numbers on the channel markers. I was by myself and not able to pull out my paper charts and with other boat traffic in the area wasn't able to just stop and figure things out. If I would have known this beforehand I certainly would not have bought a Garmin. My last unit was a Lowrance and I was hoping for the Garmin to be much better according to the research I had done prior to purchasing.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 13:42   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Garmin Chartplotters

maybe try changing the settings from NOAA navaid to IALA navaid. It may show more info.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 20:46   #3

There is a setting on the device that shows more detail. I can't tell you how to find it, but I know it is there.
Nornor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 21:49   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Sounds a bit like the thread slamming Altex paints. Wade right in and call a quality reputable brand worthless when it is operator ignorance. The details are contained on the charts, not on the plotter. Learn to drive.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 04:57   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

It's not the unit. (I have no love for Garmin, the company, but their gear is pretty good.)

One problem could be trying to use the outdated, built-in "base map" instead of buying an up-to-date chart card for your area. As was pointed out, another could be configuration settings. All chartplotters will show various levels of detail, depending on zoom level and user settings.

For buoys and such, the data will be the same across all platforms, assuming you have the latest chart data obtained from official government sources. There are different ways of displaying (or not) that data, but you shouldn't find that one manufacturer knows about buoys that another one doesn't.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 06:30   #6

Boat: Robalo R245

This is a new unit with the latest updated chart card. I called Garmin and they stated thy don't post the channel marker numbers as they are trying to eliminate "clutter" with too much information.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 06:40   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimden5 View Post
This is a new unit with the latest updated chart card. I called Garmin and they stated thy don't post the channel marker numbers as they are trying to eliminate "clutter" with too much information.
In "Default Mode" most Garmin Chart Plotters display minimal data. In the options for the "Map Setup" you can select the level of data you want displayed, more or less data. Also in the display mode there is normally a soft key for reducing "Clutter".

It would help others help you by listing the model of the device you are trying to use. It wold also have been wise to have thoroughly acquainted yourself with the device's functionality before simply taking off. In any case, FYI by rolling ones "pointer" to a object on the screen and pushing "Enter", the nature and details of the object are normally displayed.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 06:55   #8

Boat: ketch, 51'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Sounds a bit like the thread slamming Altex paints. Wade right in and call a quality reputable brand worthless when it is operator ignorance. The details are contained on the charts, not on the plotter. Learn to drive.
With all due respect
I see the ignorance in your part… learn how to be civil.
The guy asked a simple question, no need for arrogant remarks.

Give constructive advice or sit back at your couch helm and shut up.
Old 24-07-2018, 11:50   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
With all due respect
I see the ignorance in your part… learn how to be civil.
The guy asked a simple question, no need for arrogant remarks.

Give constructive advice or sit back at your couch helm and shut up.
"With all due respect" I thought this was a sailing forum, not a forum for education on social discourse.
Old 24-07-2018, 12:44   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's actually a cruising forum, and I believe this section is power boats.
The Queen mother of rules that we have is to be nice, follow that one rule and most anything else is forgiven
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 13:00   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

OK, apologies for not getting that the problem is the missing numbers, not missing buoys.

I totally agree that I'd want the same thing on the chartplotter as on a paper chart; buoy numbers and characteristics. "Fl R4s" doesn't take up that much room! I don't think this is unique to Garmin; they all try to reduce "clutter" with varying degrees of success.

Worse yet is a lot of data is totally missing from vector charts, which is available on raster (and paper) charts. Most notably, place names and shoreside structure. But I digress.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 13:07   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's actually a cruising forum, and I believe this section is power boats.
The Queen mother of rules that we have is to be nice, follow that one rule and most anything else is forgiven
Pedantics

Tags
chartplotter, garmin