Well, we took a week to reposition to the west coast
. Along the way, we discovered a couple of things. We hit some four foot seas... which causes the fuel to slosh around and stir up some serious algae that we didn't know was there. It clogged the primary and secondary fuel filters. Much worse on the starboard side, which completely shut down. We limped into port and found a mechanic
who diagnosed the problem. We changed the primaries. He blew out the fuel lines and cleaned out the racors. Then it dawned upon us... the owner hadn't run the boat much in about four years. He also probably hadn't kept the tanks
full. Per the mechanic
, this is not an uncommon cause and effect.
We found some Biobor JF... highly recommended... and dumped it into all of the tanks
at the "shock" strength level. Then, every time we stopped for the night, we refueled and added a dose of it at the "maintenance" strength. We think the algae had gotten up around the point where the fuel filler tube enters the tank and was restricting the speed at which fuel could be introduced. Filling it too fast caused fuel to escape through the vents. Since we began the Biobor treatment, we can now fuel at normal speed until it gets to the point where the tank is full and starts to backfeed up the filler tube, which will result in vent spewage. The problem seems to be getting better and we have much cleaner racors, too.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have no financial stake in Biobor. It seems to be helping our issue.