Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 13:18   #16

Re: First time cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Long Island NY via ICW

I'd choose May and run mostly outside until NC, the go up the Chess and back out out Cape May NJ. At that speed you can skip all of NJ right to LI
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 13:33   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
Thanks bunches for your advise. What speed do you recommend and how many days would you set aside to do the trip? With the exception of New Jersey are the depths pretty good for me? With NJ shallow water depths would you recommend going offshore for that 120 mile segment to get to NY?

I looked at the Waterway site and couldn't find anything from NY to Cape May (is there one) - you suggested 4 books which ones have I missed from the following list?

Anchorages Along the Intracoastal Waterway
Marinas Along the Intracoastal Waterway
Atlantic ICW 2016 Edition
Chesapeake Bay 2016 Edition

Thanks again
Southern covers Florida and Northern covers NJ and NY.

There is no ICW for the last twenty miles or so from NJ to NY. You have to go outside.

I have a slow trawler and I cruise at 7 knots. Your boat may not handle well at that speed so you'll have to figure what works for you.
Old 09-09-2016, 13:36   #18

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzpilot View Post
Would you go to the New Jersey coast for a vacation in March?

If not and if the trip is for pleasure delay until you would go on vacation.

My guess is if you plan on an average of 35 miles per day (sounds slow but not if you stay a day or two in towns on route) you could set out late March and arrive in May.
No plans on going to Jersey as my destination is Long Island NY. "Average 35 miles a day" - is that what you did on a sailboat?
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I sailed from Lauderdale to Annapolis in March, all on the outside, 24/7. 5 days, 8 hours.
Daylight is limited. You don't want to be running the ICW at night. If you throttle back to 15 knots, your range should increase significantly. I'd consider jumping outside, especially early in the trip, weather permitting. Jacksonville is about 225 miles. from there Charleston, Cape Fear, then inside to Norfolk. Up the Chesapeake, C+D Canal to Cape May, outside home. Stay inside if wind in from the North. Dress warm!
"Lauderdale to Annapolis in March on the outside" that's encouraging. I could push the trip off to March but not beyond that as a start date. How were the seas for your trip and how far offshore were you? Did you stop anywhere nice? Since you are sailing there is no need for fuel stops ... on the other hand my boat in displacement mode my best range is at 5-9kts. Once on plane if I'm doing 15 I might as well be doing 20 as my fuel burn is about the same. Thanks for your help
Old 09-09-2016, 13:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
When was the last time you were in the north part of the county even in March. Spring starts March 21st. Summer June 21st.

To have pleasant weather May 1st would be best. April 1st is doable as you will have 70% nice days. In March I would say you would get only 50% nice days.

And not to discourage your early start but Memorial Day seems to be the day many pools open.

I lived at the 40th parallel and was an early boating starter in April. But only on nice 65 degree sunny days. Once in awhile in April I would hit a 70 sunny day.

If you got cloudy weather in March and April you will be cold.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wish I could push it off that long but I'd have to get started in March at the latest - hopefully having 3 cruisair ac/heating systems will help ... funny I have yet to use the heating option
Old 09-09-2016, 14:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
I'd choose May and run mostly outside until NC, the go up the Chess and back out out Cape May NJ. At that speed you can skip all of NJ right to LI
Thanks ... What month have you done the trip. The latest I can start in March sometime.
Old 09-09-2016, 14:24   #22

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Thanks ... What month have you done the trip. The latest I can start in March sometime.
===

The earliest that we have ever left Florida was mid-May arriving NY early June. The weather was decent on the way up but NY/Long Island is still cool that time of year. If you're relying on reverse cycle A/C for heat I'd suggest giving that and your generator a good checkup before you leave.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 15:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

The earliest that we have ever left Florida was mid-May arriving NY early June. The weather was decent on the way up but NY/Long Island is still cool that time of year. If you're relying on reverse cycle A/C for heat I'd suggest giving that and your generator a good checkup before you leave.
Thanks Wayne - Just so happens I do my major annual boat maintenance/checkup in Feb engines, drives, genset, ac, bottom paint ..
Old 09-09-2016, 16:18   #24

Boat: Sabre 38

It is cold up here in NYC in March. We really don't start launching boats till April. But you can prepare for the cold easily enough. Just watch out for late winter storms!

I am actually thinking of coming the other way starting in April...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 16:34   #25

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

There's a very informative website that is dedicated to traveling the Loop.Can't remember the name but type in loop and you'll find it. It will tell you everything you need to know about fl-ny icw travel.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:20   #26

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree - you will have a great chance to try your heating system. One good thing that time of year is very few bugs at night. You are liklely to see snow flurries or freezing rain more than bugs. I stayed on my boat on a few cold nights w/o any heat. It sure is nice in the AM when the boat swings into the sun shine.

There will be no leaves on the trees either. And someone stated that the marinas may not be open yet so take extra planning for fuel/food stops. Stop at Bings Landing between Daytona Florida and St. Augustine Florida for a great BBQ sandwich right off the ICW. Let me know if you want to meet up with me there as I like BBQ. Bings Landing is a nice little spot to streach your legs.

Oh...the steering wheel will be cold so you should have gloves.

Good luck and I am anxious to hear about this early season trip.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:29   #27

I did the trip down and back up, June and July, very lucky had very favorable ocean passages. Everyone likes something different, I'm more at home out in the ocean.

Your windows of opportunity are greatly shorter in March.
Quote:
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:59   #28

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
I own a Four Winns twin turbo-diesel 44 foot express cruiser with close to a five foot draft. My boat has dual screen Raymarine radar, chartplotter, depth sounder, autopilot ... I have experience cruising offshore to/from/in the Bahamas/Florida and plan to do my first cruise with a friend in the ICW from FtL to NY around the end of February. I would only be underway during daytime and can cover more than 200 miles between fuel stops at 20-22kts.

All bits of advice from those who have made this trip on the best places to stop at, best guides to get, prep work, marinas, fuel stops and so on are much appreciated - I have heard that there are some potentially dangerous shallow areas? How many days should this trip take? What speed can I cruise the waterway at - 20ish kts possible? Is end of Feb early March a good time?

If anyone out there has done the trip lately and has a list of stops etc that would be fabulous too much to ask
I went from West Palm to Maine this May in a Sabre 42 express with similar characteristics. After one day in the ICW to shake the boat down, we started jumping outside--too many no wake zones. First jump was Jupiter to St Augustine. Second jump was Hilton Head (cutting off a lot of miles wandering around Georgia). Third jump was Southport. Next Beaufort. Went ICW from there to Norfolk, with an overnight in Coinjock. Next stop Baltimore, then Cape May. From here we ran outside to NYC with the next stop Port Washington.

I have to remind you that was May, and not March, and the weather when we went outside was less than 15 knots. It was hot south of Coinjock, but a big cold front hit us there and it was cool the rest of the way.

I know you say you have to leave earlier, but mother nature may teach you a lesson in patience. As an example, I was in Bock Marine in Beaufort when a brand new 80 ft steel fishing boat left for NYC in late February. Kenny Bock tried to talk them into waiting a bit, but they were 'used to heavy weather'. The coast guard had to tow them in.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 20:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I went from West Palm to Maine this May in a Sabre 42 express with similar characteristics. After one day in the ICW to shake the boat down, we started jumping outside--too many no wake zones. First jump was Jupiter to St Augustine. Second jump was Hilton Head (cutting off a lot of miles wandering around Georgia). Third jump was Southport. Next Beaufort. Went ICW from there to Norfolk, with an overnight in Coinjock. Next stop Baltimore, then Cape May. From here we ran outside to NYC with the next stop Port Washington.

I have to remind you that was May, and not March, and the weather when we went outside was less than 15 knots. It was hot south of Coinjock, but a big cold front hit us there and it was cool the rest of the way.

I know you say you have to leave earlier, but mother nature may teach you a lesson in patience. As an example, I was in Bock Marine in Beaufort when a brand new 80 ft steel fishing boat left for NYC in late February. Kenny Bock tried to talk them into waiting a bit, but they were 'used to heavy weather'. The coast guard had to tow them in.

Thanks so much for your advise. You've been most helpful. Please fill in my blanks to your jump outs - and have I made some mistakes in understanding what you wrote?
1. Jupiter FL to St Augustine FL outside (then back in icw from St Augustine to Hilton Head)
2. Hilton Head SC to ??? outside (then back in from ?? to ??)
3. Southport NC to Beaufort NC outside (then back in icw from Beaufort to Norfolk)
4. Norfolk to Baltimore in icw
5. Baltimore to Cape May in icw
6. Cape May to NYC outside

If I can push off my starting date to March 15-20 is that still too early in your opinion? Do you recall how many days it took you to go from West Palm to NYC? Would it be too much to ask where you overnighted and where you did your fuel stops?
Old 24-09-2016, 22:08   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Thanks so much for your advise. You've been most helpful. Please fill in my blanks to your jump outs - and have I made some mistakes in understanding what you wrote?

What we did--
1. Jupiter FL to St Augustine FL outside--2 nites and fuel in St Augustine(relatives)
2. St Augustine to Hilton Head SC outside--overnite and fuel in Hilton Head
3. Hilton Head to Southport outside--overnite and fuel in Southport
4. Southport NC to Beaufort NC outside 2 nites and fuel in Beaufort (because I like Beaufort
5. ICW from Beaufort to Coinjock--overnite and fuel in Coinjock
6. ICW from Coinjock to Norfolk, then Chesapeak up to Fishing Bay and spent the nite on the hook (great overnite anchorage--protected from all directions)
7. Fishing Bay to Baltimore, bashing into 20 knots (actually we went up the Magothy River to meet relatives, but Baltimore is better)--overnite and fuel stop
8. Baltimore to Cape May through C&D canal and Cape May canal--overnite and fuel

9. Cape May to NYC outside and through East River to Port Washington (free town moorings)

If I can push off my starting date to March 15-20 is that still too early in your opinion? Do you recall how many days it took you to go from West Palm to NYC? Would it be too much to ask where you overnighted and where you did your fuel stops?
Its better, but you might plan on being holed up various places for weather for a few days. You might make it in 2 weeks.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, express cruiser, florida, fort lauderdale, icw, intracoastal, Long Island, new york