Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 18:58   #1

First boat in Sydney advice

Hi All,

I'm seeking your advice and comments regarding pros and cons with some of my dilemmas facing me picking the right boat.
Our family is in the process of deciding what boat to buy as our first cruiser.
We have so far narrowed it down to a few for reason of cost if not age and length, happy to hear of other brands in similar look and lengths.

So we have a rough budget of $70-$100K Australian dollars and 32-39 foot size.
with a model year starting at 2004 ( We would hope ).
We are also keen on volvo penta rather then mercs for reasons after reading forum advice on fuel consumption.

Further more we are seeking advice on running cost, repair and service cost Engine and hull, insurance cost ( preferred insurance company ) slip and anti fouling etc.
I understand all this may sound to open ended or non specific to the boats I'm about to list below, but we are more after roughs of estimates for recurring cost to maybe non specific boats and more in general for a 32-39 foot cruiser in Sydney ( northern beaches ).

The Boats:

Bavaria:32,35
Four winns: 328, 348
Regal:3060,3350
Mustang: 3200,3500, 3800
Monterey: 290,330, 322
Sea Ray: 290, 300, 335, 355
Sunrunner: 3300, 3700

Was it in any of these models from 2004 and up who had more then their fair share of problems or was a "no go zone"?
I really would like advice from owners and people in the know when it comes
to owning and running any of these boats.

This is my first post and I hope I haven't taken it to far and boring for you.

Regards and happy boating to you all

Costa Blue
costa blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 00:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: First boat in Sydney advice

Welcome aboard, costa blue.

The Mobo guys will be along soon and be far more help than I ever could be! :-D

Have a good one.

Ann
Old 29-01-2016, 00:25   #3

Hi Anne,

Thank you, and I can't wait for your friends the boys;-) input and advice.

Thanx mate!

Regards

Costa blue eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-01-2016, 03:16   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Interested in the 2004 lowered limit. Any particular reason for this?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-01-2016, 07:41   #5

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 38 foot

From my point of view be careful of SeaRays, I had a 340 Sundancer and the entire cabin top was wet ( the balsa wood core) and a lot of friends had similair problems with their hulls they are all balsa wood cored.
Denman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 11:10   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Before buying a boat work out where you are going to keep it.
Sydney can be extremely expensive -$2,000 per MONTH west of Gladesville bridge was what I was quoted a few years ago.

It may be better now but it's important to know before you buy.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:43   #7

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies.

GIlow- No particular reason for a 2004 year model, guess we are looking for as new as possible for our budget, but older might be more worn.
But not at all blind to having a look at let say 2002 or 2003 models, if they are in same or better condition as a never models.

Denman180- Thank you for that advice! I have read a few post referring to,"
"my boat ( sea ray ) is dry!?, must be talking about problems you are referring to.

MarkJ- Thanks mate! yes mooring or berths do not come cheap in Sydney.
I have priced our upcoming boat "parking" in many locations around pittwater. So I guess that would not be a surprise for us as a cost.
I'm More interested in slip service, engine service, hull service, electrical service cost, etc etc.
My budget is not that thin that we cant repair and look after our boat, but we would like to have a rough idea so we can prepare ourself's for what will come I guess.
No boat is the same when it comes to service or maintenance, but the more we can find out regarding a few chosen models the happier our bank account will be , we hope.

Thank you for taking time to inform a novice in boating

Regards

Costa blue
Old 29-01-2016, 17:05   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa blue View Post
The Boats:

Bavaria:32,35
Four winns: 328, 348
Regal:3060,3350
Mustang: 3200,3500, 3800
Monterey: 290,330, 322
Sea Ray: 290, 300, 335, 355
Sunrunner: 3300, 3700

Was it in any of these models from 2004 and up who had more then their fair share of problems ...
Well, for a start, I checked them out and they were ALL missing their masts. That has to be a sign of rigging problems.
Old 29-01-2016, 19:19   #9

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

I have a 30' cruiser moored in Sydney harbour.

One consideration for having a 30' motor cruiser is that the longer the boat the more the cost for mooring and antifouling. In fact it is a lot harder getting a Maritime mooring in Sydney harbour for bigger boats. Although I'm on a private mooring at a marina near Drummoyne Sailing Club, Maritime moorings are cheaper and worth considering as it is an ongoing cost.

It costs me $1200 pa for antifouling and $300 a month for the mooring including tender storage. These are ongoing costs.

Regarding the boats listed I suggest going out on some of them for half day or so and get a feel for it. If you don't fall love instantly with the boat then don't buy it.

I spend a lot of time on my boat and often entertain etc and bought it more for the layout and the feel of it than anything else.

Call me naive but the moment I walked on my boat, I just knew it is the boat for me!
Others might rightly be more practical and there is room for caution that can be covered by employing good boat surveyors up front but honestly I would have bought my boat either way.

I hope this comment is welcome although the armchair sailors will prob shoot me down in flames with their quirky comnents as usual!

As a final thought have you looked at Mariner boats at all? I know they are older but has such an endearing quality feel to them...no I haven't got one ; )

Enjoy your search its a great and exciting time!!
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 21:22   #10

Hi Ironman 162,

Thank you for your reply and sincere thoughts.

Yes we have priced a swing mooring up to 40 foot for $300/month or so from marinas in various sites in pittwater. Berths are $1000/month or thereabout (gulp!).
Council moorings are $300/year, go figure.
Anyhow I guess it's a business and they doing a good job, most of them, i have heard.
Prices for anti-fouling seem to be pretty much 1ooo-2000 everywhere for that size boat.
I'm happy for you that you truly have found a boat that "talks" to you and your needs, and yes, test driving and spending some time out on a boat for the "Feel" is really good advice, taken.

Mariner...., well they are a good looking boat don't get me wrong, but fly bridge? it is not really my thing.
I have gone from looking at 25-30 foot and now with family interest (space and friends coming along ) and needs we have settled for 32-40 foot.

I really would like to hear from people who have experience from any of the boats i suggested to compare various year/models, apple for apples i guess.
I read as many blogs and post as I can find regarding different engines, drives, electronics etc etc for all those boats, but you can always hear another wise tale from people in the know.

Thanks again Ironman162

Regards

Costa blue
Old 30-01-2016, 06:56   #11

Boat: Scout 30

I recommend a Downeaster or Lobster Boat type of hull with a single diesel & a straight shaft, no IO. More sea worthy, handles better, much better fuel economy & you'll be a lot more comfortable doing it. Speed is really dependent on how much horse power you throw at them but the great thing about this kind of hull is you can cruise it at virtually any speed. You don't have to jump up from a fast idle to full plane. When it gets really sloppy out there you can back off & still have great control without the bow pointing straight up in the air. Plus they'll track straight at trawler speeds, instead of walking all over the place, so you can save a bunch of fuel if you like. They are typically more expensive boats but that's because they are typically higher quality & hold their value better.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...inessmall-.jpg
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 07:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa blue View Post
Hi Ironman 162,

Thank you for your reply and sincere thoughts.

Yes we have priced a swing mooring up to 40 foot for $300/month or so from marinas in various sites in pittwater. Berths are $1000/month or thereabout (gulp!).
Council moorings are $300/year, go figure.
Anyhow I guess it's a business and they doing a good job, most of them, i have heard.
Prices for anti-fouling seem to be pretty much 1ooo-2000 everywhere for that size boat.
I'm happy for you that you truly have found a boat that "talks" to you and your needs, and yes, test driving and spending some time out on a boat for the "Feel" is really good advice, taken.

Mariner...., well they are a good looking boat don't get me wrong, but fly bridge? it is not really my thing.
I have gone from looking at 25-30 foot and now with family interest (space and friends coming along ) and needs we have settled for 32-40 foot.

I really would like to hear from people who have experience from any of the boats i suggested to compare various year/models, apple for apples i guess.
I read as many blogs and post as I can find regarding different engines, drives, electronics etc etc for all those boats, but you can always hear another wise tale from people in the know.

Thanks again Ironman162

Regards

Costa blue
If you plan on keeping your boat at a mooring go for straight shafts only. Do not get a boat with inboard/outboards. You do not want a rubber boot that flexes every time you lift your motor to be what keeps the water out of your boat. The boats you're talking about are twins & each IO has several boots. It just takes a tear in one for your boat to be on the bottom.
Old 30-01-2016, 07:55   #13

Here's another direction you might consider. One of my favorite boats : Grand Banks Flybridge Cruiser: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Fibreglass/grp | New South Wales (NSW) - Church Point Nsw | Boats Online
Old 30-01-2016, 08:22   #14

Here's another cool boat for sale in Oz. A little small for you but one of my favorite designers. 22ft Pilot House Mini Trawler: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Strip Plank Epoxy | New South Wales (NSW) - Newport Nsw | Boats Online
Old 07-04-2017, 05:03   #15

Boat: hunter 310 / sunrunner 3300 / maxum scr 2400

Any boat that is 14 years old and cheap is good but comes with it own problems, so set aside some "sinking fund money"

A swing mooring from the RMS will cost around $500 pa, so you don't need to pay $300 pm albeit it depends where you want the boat to grow barnacles in the water.

Main issue lack of use and maintenance - if you use the boat a lot an d are prepared to learn about it, it works better, things tend not to seize, rust / corrode and costs less to run.

Any twin engine Merc (mine are twin 5.7 litre Mag 350s Sunrunner 3300) will use / cost around 80 - 100 litres per hour in fuel (eg 40-50 litres per engine at WOT / 4200 rpm). That said, you get a long way in 1 hour at 50 kms per hour on the water.

Diesel units are good but tend to cost more.

If you are prepared to keep it clean, dive in and clean the sterns drives and keep the anodes healthy, don't hit rocks / maintain the oil etc , stern drives re okay.
mghunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney