Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 11:29   #1

Finishing up the Begining and on to the next stage.

Hey Guys and Gals,
I've just about got my first boat resto done and have just brought the other into the yard to get started on. First boat was a floor rebuild and fiber glassed and trim motor rebuild but had to swap it out with a new one,and the final touch was the engine completely rebuild. boat has been checked out and just needs to get re registered and put back in the water. Its just a little daily cruiser. I changed up the interior a bit so it only holds 6 people and the engine is a 85hp Mercury. Anyway.
Next project has a small cuddy cabin,no power or galley anything. I plan to put a small generator and a small fridge in along with a microwave and a dual burner electric counter top stove.I have a limited amount of counter space so nothing will be very big. I have to rebuild the floor and engine as well,it also is a small one with a 85hp motor.Mercury.The hull is in great shape as well as the trailer to carry it.
I plan to put it in the Gulf down in the Beaumont area on good days and just putt around the bay to Houston maybe San Padre when I get her finished. This will be a temp boat while I save enough money to buy something around 30' to 45'. I know I will be working on this one too but that to me will be my peace of mind cause I will know everything that has been done to it.. I'm thinking I will travel the great loop at first and if all goes well stay in Florida in the south west or the keys maybe.
my question is Will this size boat be good enough to maybe go from Island to Island all the way down to Puerto Rico and maybe to the Mexican coastline back up to Texas? and which ,motors should I be looking for. I want something with good fuel mileage and good speed (in case I need to out run a storm or get out the way)? Gas or diesel?
Johnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:53   #2

Re: Finishing up the Begining and on to the next stage.

Johnyo

I'm assuming you are planning the Loop and ocean trips to PR for boat number three in the future. Lots of information on this forum about both of them.
Regarding your current project, you should carefully estimate the amount of power you will need for the refer/microwave/and electric cooktop. A portable generator/inverter like a Honda 2000i (50 lbs) will probably operate one appliance at a time. Small microwaves in the 600 watt range will work, check the amp requirements of the refer compressor and the wattage load of the cooktop.
Space for the generator and straight fuel (no oil mix) will be at a premium on your boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Molly Brown
Surf City, USA
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote