Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 16:17   #16

Re: Fiberglass maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnuthin View Post
There is epoxy paint which is a paint that one might be convinced is a good idea to make one's boat beautiful again but gelcoat, which is the "paint" that the boat originally came with is sooooo much easier to repair and feather in. You could be convinced by a boat yard to have your boat awlgripped (a paint) but jn my opinion
it's shiny appearance lasts MAYBE 5 years IF you put covers on your bumpers and NEVER EVER hit a dock.Repairs CAN'T be feathered in to disappear
Stick with gelcoat..... It came on the boat and lasted 20 to 30 years ....sand the boat and regelcoat it.....it'll last another 20 or 30 years
Ok, interesting info. Thanks.
Old 30-06-2013, 16:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
When a hull is molded, gel coat is the first layer of "real stuff" that coats the mold... and becomes the outer layer of the hull. (Usually the mold is pre-coated with some kind of release agent, so the new hull can actually be removed from the mold eventually.) Gel coat comes with it's own built-in color (can have color codes, etc.), created by mixing pigment into the wet slurry that becomes the hard gel coat layer.

The fiberglass itself is usually mats or strips of "fabric" made of loosely woven 'glass strands, and the 'glass matting is then infused (in a number of ways) with resin. Once all that hardens, the hull can come out of the mold for installation of systems, deck, etc. (There are several technical methods of creating a fiberglass hull, so this is just a quick-and-dirty.)

Some makers add an additional layer of gel coat on the inner side of the hull, partly for cosmetics, partly to make cleaning etc. easier.

Paint isn't necessary over the top of gel coat, although some makers do that for cosmetic purposes (e.g., to change the hull color topsides), or sometimes as a "barrier coat" to help the gel coat further resist water intrusion (bottom, under the biocide bottom paint).

Gel coat can be repaired, although sometimes color matching can be an issue; even with manufacturer's color codes, the rest of the gel coat around the area to be repaired may have faded over the years. I've read some paints are easily repairable (AlexSeal?), some not so much (Awlgrip?) in small patches. No first-hand experience.

-Chris
Are these epoxy paints awlgrip and the others a new paint system? or have they been around for a while?
Old 30-06-2013, 16:50   #18

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Are these epoxy paints awlgrip and the others a new paint system? or have they been around for a while?

20+ years. I tried the more expensive plant but found them hard to repair and match. The same with gel coat. Even the white. On the Eagle for the last 10+ years been using Interlux polyurathane which lasts about as long but easier to apply and match. Ever year it seen I come in a little to hard and mar scratch gouge the paint. Which upset me but not near as much as the paint was expensive epoxy and or gel coat.

This year painting the Portuguese bridge and the port side and stern. Should finish over the fourth. Since the base is good just alight sand some primer and new top coat. Cost about two hundred bucks and my time. Anyway I would not want an expensive epoxy paint job.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 18:33   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just a question Scoobert. How many Stainless, Bronze, Copper vessels have you owned or even seen lately !! I will stick with ALL BOATS need bottom paint!! Some of us have been trying hard to help GG with her search for a boat !! Do ya think your bring helpfull ?? Just a question !!
Old 30-06-2013, 18:39   #20
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Just a question Scoobert. How many Stainless, Bronze, Copper vessels have you owned or even seen lately !! I will stick with ALL BOATS need bottom paint!! Some of us have been trying hard to help GG with her search for a boat !! Do ya think your bring helpfull ?? Just a question !!
when planning to build the steel cat i read an interesting piece on the materials you could build a boat from, and the short and long term cost and how much you would save. thou the upfront cost is very high, the long term, 40+ year cost is much less, but i was just being wise.

Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design, Inc.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Years and years.

FWIW, we had our "dashboard" re-glassed -- and re-gel coated -- when we updated our electronics suite a few years ago, and the change isn't visible from more than about 3" away. Even then, you'd have to know it was done, and where, in order to see the slight differences. Subsequent sunlight is making the match even closer.

As I said, I don't have any experience with the various paints, although other folks I know have said AlexSeal is easily repairable and Awlgrip isn't. I think there's another brand (or maybe more) out there, too, but can't think of names just now. Their manufacturers' websites would likely highlight desirable features (like repairability)...

-Chris
Old 01-07-2013, 13:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

You can blend Imron
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:08   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

GelCoat is very hard and resistant to abuse. It looks better if waxed but can be left for the life of the boat without waxing. Have seen quite a few boats that look like that's been their history. A lot of people think you have to compound the gelcoat before waxing. That's a great way to shorten the life of gelcoat by grinding it away. I found 3M Finesse brought back the shine with a wax job after. PO's had buffed the hull so many times the gelcoat was nearly worn away down to the underlying laminate. Didn't have a choice but to paint it.

Avoid painting an FRP boat as long as possible. Gelcoat shrugs off abuse that will scuff, scratch or otherwise damage a painted surface, even LPU paint. The paint looks great but will not last as long as the original gelcoat by half or more.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:35   #24

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Galaxy girl, you've seen all the other contributions on the subject. All I can say is that my boat is 40 years old, solidly built like a proverbial brick outhouse in fibreglass. It gets thoroughly washed once every 4 months or so, lifted out every 4 years and a full 'bottom job done, anodes, anti foul etc.'. Yes,after years in the UV light of the Mediterranean the surface of the gel coat will go dull, you have a choice, wash and polish it every 4 months, or 800 wet & dry paper then wax polish every year, your call. In my opinion NEVER paint it, I had one hull done on a previous boat at great expense years ago and it was the dogs bollocks for about 6 months ! after that I could never keep it looking good.
I wouldn't have the gift of a steel boat, I've seen too many stripped to the stringers but each to their own, the newer versions with epoxy paint and extruded polyurethane insulation would be worth a look, if it weren't for the external painting. Life's about cruising, not painting.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 20:19   #25

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful information. I'll admit that it's all a bit confusing, but I'm not going to get too hung up on the details now (I'll save that for later) The general feeling from everyone seems to be low maintenance as compared with steel and wood. If I end up with this glass boat I can figure out the wash, wax, paint schedule in more detail.
Old 12-07-2013, 16:28   #26

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Just a thought and a question. Is GG real? Or is someone pulling our leg. It's just hard for me to completely believe the total lack of knowledge and the questions being asked from some one with five kids looking for a 60 something boat. It sounds more like a great put on.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Just a thought and a question. Is GG real? Or is someone pulling our leg. It's just hard for me to completely believe the total lack of knowledge and the questions being asked from some one with five kids looking for a 60 something boat. It sounds more like a great put on.
Wow, I'm surprised people like you are still asking if I'm real. I have a blog with my kids and my pic up for goodness sake. Or is that an elaborate hoax too? Do you really think I'm going to put all this effort into something that isn't real.

I think it's just hard for some people to believe that the world doesn't revolve they way they think it should. Some people, like me, are VERY out- of -the- box, and I think that's it hard for someone like you to understand that.

What's the big friggin deal anyway? I'm selling my house and buying a big boat. So what? Why is that so unbelievable? Lots of people do the same thing all the time. And, so what if I have zero experience, that's already been done too. I'll learn! Believe me, I'm not the first and most definitely will not be the last.
Old 12-07-2013, 18:15   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post

lol. doubtful. fake would be more interesting.
Old 12-07-2013, 18:17   #29
cruiser

Quote:
And, so what if I have zero experience, that's already been done too. I'll learn! Believe me, I'm not the first and most definitely will not be the last.
i bought a 45' sailboat, and still have no clue how to sail it
it must be something you can learn. the first sailor must have been clueless too, but he survived to tell someone about it....
Old 12-07-2013, 18:37   #30

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

All of us should be positive in providing answers related to what we all enjoy; sailing/flying. Sailors, like pilots, like to help each other no matter what the question or background might be. Berating/ridiculing someone will serve no purpose. If I have a question, no matter how trivial it may sound to you, I hope that some of you will share their experience/knowledge with me as well as with the rest of us.

Mauritz

Tags
fiberglass, maintenance