Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2013, 15:03   #61

Re: Fiberglass maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
wait, are you hoping to cruise the world on a 60' semi-planning powerboat?
one with a 600 mile range?
yeah, i had gone down that line of questions too.
semi-planning powerboats like the chriscraft your looking at are dock queens.
if you wish to see pandas, or see other religions, you will not be in a powerboat.
that may be why people are thinking your fake.
start looking at tri-cabin sailboats. they sleep 6, and if you add bunks, they can sleep up to 12.
First of all my 12 year old daughter wrote the post about seeing pandas and learning new things, so please don't be rude to her!!!

Second of all, I'm glad that you took the time to check out the blog, but I think that you missed the part where I described a Plan B boat. When I viewed the Chris Craft, I explained that I was viewing it as a Plan B boat.

Old 13-07-2013, 15:07   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
50' or 60' is a lot of boat! My only advice is don't be tempted to buy the biggest boat you can afford. If you're gonna cruise, keep it manageable. Seems rare to see boats larger than 50' without hired crew to manage and maintain things. 5 kids certainly suggests getting a bigger boat that you might otherwise, but compared to a house with a yard, a boat is always going to feel small. Don't try to get around that! The whole world is potentially at your backdoor though, which seems like a fair trade...

Also, a smaller boat is going to be easier and safer to manage when things go wrong.
I couldn't agree more. This is the tug of war. Problem is almost all of my kids will be teens soon, so they need their personal space.

Old 13-07-2013, 15:12   #63

Quote:
i have been informed that diesel is $10 a gallon in the UK, and most of the EU now. yes if staying in the US easy coast they are about $4.29- $4.69, as per my trip 2 weeks ago.

and she is looking at a 60' chris craft roamer. a 60GPH semi.

i would like to see how she will make a passage with a 400-500 mile range thou.....
I would never attempt to travel far in a 60' Chris Craft or any powerboat. Long distance trips are strictly for trawlers and Trumps.

The Chris Craft would be a learning boat, something I would be ok with banging up a little, but definitely NOT traveling very far in.
Old 13-07-2013, 15:18   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG:
If you had done the research you would not be asking the questions your are asking. They are mostly easily answered with a click of your mouse. You might have a totally different set of questions. But, heck, what is for dinner??
Chris, real-life advice far outweighs much of the garbage on the net.

Cooking stinx, probably take out
Old 13-07-2013, 16:00   #65
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
First of all my 12 year old daughter wrote the post about seeing pandas and learning new things, so please don't be rude to her!!!

Second of all, I'm glad that you took the time to check out the blog, but I think that you missed the part where I described a Plan B boat. When I viewed the Chris Craft, I explained that I was viewing it as a Plan B boat.
how should i know who wrote it, i didnt study your blog, i browsed.

plan A and B are far off the mark if you want to do a passage. unless your filthy rich. then the nord, american tug, and other trawlers brand new are the way to go.

do you realize what you will spend each year on only fuel?

however if you wish to sit at the dock, and do nothing, that tippy boat you looked at is the one for you.

i went thru what your going thru right now.
your so far off track, your in the ocean with a train.
Old 13-07-2013, 16:23   #66

Quote:
how should i know who wrote it, i didnt study your blog, i browsed.

plan A and B are far off the mark if you want to do a passage. unless your filthy rich. then the nord, american tug, and other trawlers brand new are the way to go.

do you realize what you will spend each year on only fuel?

however if you wish to sit at the dock, and do nothing, that tippy boat you looked at is the one for you.

i went thru what your going thru right now.
your so far off track, your in the ocean with a train.
Is this a powerboat forum?

There are so many people that cruise year after year in powerboats of all kinds and sizes. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
Old 13-07-2013, 16:52   #67

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
That's the problem. Spend some time learning to operate boats. Go take a week long liveaboard class. I did and it was an eye opener.
Old 13-07-2013, 17:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
That's the problem. Spend some time learning to operate boats. Go take a week long liveaboard class. I did and it was an eye opener.
That's great, and it sounds like fun.
But, the fact still remains, there are hundreds, if not, thousand of cruisers out there traveling in powerboats. Some right on this very thread.
Old 13-07-2013, 18:52   #69
cruiser

Quote:
That's great, and it sounds like fun.
But, the fact still remains, there are hundreds, if not, thousand of cruisers out there traveling in powerboats. Some right on this very thread.
yes, they do the loop, stay coastal, do the ditch ECT.

try this:
Your Great Loop boat requirements and restrictions
they rarely do it in a 60' boat.
anymore with the price of fuel, 60' are reserved for those who are wealthy, and dock queens. 60' burns a ton of fuel. not to mention the generator you need to run constant in some of them. your looking for too much space to travel.

so here is the breakdown:
you want to go nowhere:
60' powerboat
you want to not move around much, stay on the ICW, loop, have a ton of room:
houseboat
you want to do the loop:
40-48'MAX displacement trawler
you want to power across oceans:
40-42' trawler
you want to see the world:
sailboat.
they make 4 and 5 stateroom models.
seriously consider it.
Old 13-07-2013, 19:16   #70

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Scoob! You should add this option to your suggestions list... Fly to a nice destination, then locally charter a boat to meet your family's requirement and entertainment. It could be cheaper, in the long run!

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Your Weight, Age & Fortune...Only One Dullah!
Old 13-07-2013, 19:32   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Scoob! You should add this option to your suggestions list... Fly to a nice destination, then locally charter a boat to meet your family's requirement and entertainment. It could be cheaper, in the long run!

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Your Weight, Age & Fortune...Only One Dullah!

no, i do not advocate home ownership for anyone.
Old 13-07-2013, 20:05   #72

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Scoob, for someone who is still learning to sail his new to him boat, you sure have become a power boat wizard!! LOL This lady has been trying to get something going for a long time ! and she has done some reserch! Now I may think she should look at some different vessels myself, But she is looking and REAL help from us would be a help! I don't believe she has ever asked about crossing the Atlantic! But there are many vessels out there that will do this trip for a lot less then 20,000 bucks worth of diesel !! I for one hope she finds a good seaworthy vessel for herself and her family, and maybe real ideas would help her! whereas a bunch of barges full of fuel, won't help her find one any faster ! There are enough vessels for sale in the PNW area, with the requirements she has stated on here. Some of which would very easily cross the Pacific, or the Atlantic with out spending anywhere near 20,000 for diesel LOL She just needs to broaden her area of search, and maybe change the type of vessels she is looking for !! She has in the past, said she was not really interested in a sailing vessel! so most of us have quit even talking about them ! not trying to give ya a hard time, but she's really gotten a bunch of funny replys already, and I think she still needs some help!! just sayin she seems to be for real !
Old 13-07-2013, 20:11   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Scoob, for someone who is still learning to sail his new to him boat, you sure have become a power boat wizard!! LOL This lady has been trying to get something going for a long time ! and she has done some reserch! Now I may think she should look at some different vessels myself, But she is looking and REAL help from us would be a help! I don't believe she has ever asked about crossing the Atlantic! But there are many vessels out there that will do this trip for a lot less then 20,000 bucks worth of diesel !! I for one hope she finds a good seaworthy vessel for herself and her family, and maybe real ideas would help her! whereas a bunch of barges full of fuel, won't help her find one any faster ! There are enough vessels for sale in the PNW area, with the requirements she has stated on here. Some of which would very easily cross the Pacific, or the Atlantic with out spending anywhere near 20,000 for diesel LOL She just needs to broaden her area of search, and maybe change the type of vessels she is looking for !! She has in the past, said she was not really interested in a sailing vessel! so most of us have quit even talking about them ! not trying to give ya a hard time, but she's really gotten a bunch of funny replys already, and I think she still needs some help!! just sayin she seems to be for real !

i believe she is for real.
and yes i know a TON about powerboats. and i know my sailboat cost less to run :P
she wants the same thing i did when i started. a massive boat with 3500 SQFT. the math does not work. my first boat i wanted was an 85' steel trawler i did 3 years of powerboat research, and it does not work out to go anywhere. i have come to realize if you want to move stay small, and you will go places.
Old 13-07-2013, 20:46   #74

WOW, tough crowd.

What ever happened to if ya can't help don't hurt?
Old 13-07-2013, 23:16   #75

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

If nothing else GG has created some sparks and got a bunch of varied opinions flying about. I cant wait for the next installment. Unfortunately Tuesday I will get on my boat and head north and will pretty much be off the net for a couple of months like doing it not talking it. So I don't know what GG is getting from this site. I sometimes get knowledge, entertainment, and a good dose of BS. Of course since I know it all I never ask for advise only give it often of an unwanted variety. Since I am an old man and had to learn my sailing and power boating by actually doing it I find it amusing that people now are learning on the net.

Tags
fiberglass, maintenance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: