Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:06   #1

Eight Knots in North West Australia

Howdy all I asked this question another longer post that it was probably lost in. I'm just wondering how (if?) slow moving folks go around Darwin and Northern WA where the tidal difference can mean some pretty good currents.

I'm interested in a motorised displacement coastal cruiser and 8 knots might be my cruising speed with perhaps 10 knots flatout.

I'd expect to have to time things with the tides going up rivers and narrow straits but how would I go just in general motoring in open water along the coasts?

Cheers
Paul
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:46   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: 8 knots in North West Australia?

The Bob Oram designed motor vessels such as the Upolu 10 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ote=1&p=684968

and Argincourt 14

Agincourt 14 « Bob Oram Design would be ideal and offer the shallow draft sit on the sand ability of a catamaran.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:35   #3

Gday downunder I'm more wondering if an 8 knot cruiser is fast enough along the coast here or would you struggle with the currents too much?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Well, you will do no better and no worse than most sailing yachts which have cruising speeds below 8 kts. In general, you have to work with the tides and not fight them.

I have sailed around Darwin (and the Torres Straits) in a yacht with a max speed around 5 kts and it is doable.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 15:23   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I was about to say the same. I havn't visited the area myself but most of th esailing vessels i have read about visiting the area would motor at less than 8 knots.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 16:28   #6

Re: Eight Knots in North West Australia?

Thanks guys - yeah I wondered if they could sail faster or something when they needed to wasn't sure. I do see pro fishing boats putting out of the harbour all the time and they don't seem to go real fast so I guess they're doing ok.
Old 28-09-2011, 00:08   #7

Re: Eight Knots in North West Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
Howdy all I asked this question another longer post that it was probably lost in. I'm just wondering how (if?) slow moving folks go around Darwin and Northern WA where the tidal difference can mean some pretty good currents.

I'm interested in a motorised displacement coastal cruiser and 8 knots might be my cruising speed with perhaps 10 knots flatout.

I'd expect to have to time things with the tides going up rivers and narrow straits but how would I go just in general motoring in open water along the coasts?

Cheers
Paul

Just joined the forum today. I'm going to do exactly what you're thinking of except I'm in Cairns and will be going via the Torres Straits and the Gulf.
I've worked in the Kimberleys and the tidal run can be 11 meters, which could be a problem I think.
I also plan to use a displacement diesel cruiser but availability of fuel in some area is a bit of a problem. It's 500NM from here to the Straits and only one fuel stop that I can find. Darwin to Wyndham is a fairly long stretch as well.
Bill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 00:55   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Aside from saturday arvo Ben Cropp and leyland bros tv shows, I have no experience in the area. BUt, Somehow other (even slower)cruisers get through there and there is no black hole of boats stuck in far north WA lol. Like any good passage planner, getting the most out of your tide charts and using them to your advantage will be the way to go. Just like we plan our weather windows, if you plan your tidal window the same you should have no problems. Of course this may mean standing off for a few hours in some cases. Just rememer that the deepest water and the outside of river bends run the fastest.

Obviously the local fishos at each port along the way will have lots of advice. Not that there are too many fishos in the kimberleys themselves. But these guys will be able to give you lots of great tips on easy access storm holes as well as problem areas.

Obviously you wont go through the Horizontal Falls Lol ( see below)
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 02:51   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smith View Post
Just joined the forum today. I'm going to do exactly what you're thinking of except I'm in Cairns and will be going via the Torres Straits and the Gulf.
I've worked in the Kimberleys and the tidal run can be 11 meters, which could be a problem I think.
I also plan to use a displacement diesel cruiser but availability of fuel in some area is a bit of a problem. It's 500NM from here to the Straits and only one fuel stop that I can find. Darwin to Wyndham is a fairly long stretch as well.
OK slightly of the OP's topic but I would have thought you could get diesel in Cooktown and either Portland Roads or Lockhart River. In the worst case, I think one should be able to ship some 44's to Lockhart River or get in touch with some of the pawn fleet mother ships. At least one could do these things some years back.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, australia