Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 15:45   #1

Do You Have Crusader 350's?

I have searched every sight I could find for information on Crusader 350's [twins] fuel economy.... I would like to purchase a Silverton 40' Aft Cabin or possibly a 60 foot plus houseboat with 350's... can any one who has a similar type boat tell me fuel consumption at:
1000 rpm and speed ?
1500 rpm " "
1750 rpm " "
2000 rpm " "
2500 rpm " "

ANY information you can provide me will help me make a sound fiscal decission!
Thanks
Alan
mexicalialan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 20:38   #2

Mexicalialan

Your two potential boat choices are so vastly different, any comparison would be a WAG. One thing is certain, large boats with gas engines will burn lots of fuel at anything above hull speed.
I have a pair of Marine Power EFI 350's in my 28' GlasPly. A friend with a similar hull powered with a pair of roller-cam, carbed, 350 Crusaders sees about 1.1 to 1.15 mpg on his Flo-Scans cruising at 30 mph at about 3500 rpm His boat loaded for cruising weighs 11,500 lbs. Another friend with the same hull powered by a single 502 MPI gets about 1.2 - 1.3 mpg at 20 knots. At hull speed he claims 2.75 -3.25 mpg. Better mpg at hull speed than the twin engined versions but that's probably a result of less underwater drag.
You pose a difficult question because there are so many variables. A 350 Crusader block is the same as a 350 Mercruiser and Marine Power - all Chevrolet based.

I would say if you get 1.0 mpg on the Silverton you will be doing well.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 06:26   #3

Re: Do You Have Crusader 350's?

MY APPOLIGIES FOR NOT BEING CLEAR... The engines I am refering to are 454-cid engines with 350 hp... in a Silverton Aft Cabin 40' .... while on a houseboat, engines model/makes change by manufacturer and year... I realize you can not compare a Silverton to a houseboat....IF you have houseboat experience and can tell me the engine size/type and fuel consumption at various rpm's/speed - I would appreciate it! Sliverton owners... IF you could tell me fuel consumption at various RPM's it would be very helpful... What I am looking for is information on SLOW speed cruising... not getting up and plane.... just putt putt along and enjoy the world at large... I would be greatful for any help you folks can give!
Thank you
Alan
mexicalialan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:33   #4

For what its worth, I have a Silverton 33C with twin 375 Crusaders. My fuel consumption experience has been similar to the Power & Motoryacht test of the boat which appears in a table at the bottom of the following pdf file -- http://silvertonyachts.us/images08/pressroom08/reviews/S33cBTR.pdf
Regards, Mark
lfcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 09:13   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicalialan View Post

Sliverton owners... IF you could tell me fuel consumption at various RPM's it would be very helpful... What I am looking for is information on SLOW speed cruising... not getting up and plane.... just putt putt along and enjoy the world at large... I would be greatful for any help you folks can give!
Thank you
Alan

There's an on-line owners club at silvertonboat.com, and the membership fee isn't huge. Lots of folks join to ask about stuff before they buy. I know there are at least a couple 40' aft cabin owners... and there are lots of Crusader 454 owners, across various models.

-Chris