Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 04:12   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Do Center Console boats sink?

Just saw a video of a CG rescue of a 27' CC twin engine boat that turned turtle off SC. The fishermen were sitting / standing on the haul as the boat bobbed in the water upside down. This gave them a good chance to be rescued.

I did not see the make it this boat. It could have been a Boston Whaler.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Do Center Console boats sink?

Might have had an air pocket keeping it so level.

I have raised probably 50 or more central consoles that have sunk in their slips.

A huge number of them...at least 50 percent may have floated, but engine weight and loading made them sink by the stern and the motors were resting on the bottom.

Even the 20 and under crowd that is supposed to have positive flotation here in the US. On many, they have been upgraded to 4 stroke engines which tended to be quite a bit heavier than their predecessor 2 strokes. Probably the cause for some to have sunk in the first place, and the reason they don't float level if they do sink.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Boston Whaler was I believe either the first to foam fill the interior hull, or maybe just the first to use that as a marketing technique.
But for many years all small boats that I know if if not overloaded won't sink.

That was no Whaler I'm sure, A Whaler would not have busted it's hull, in my opinion.
I don't think they hit anything, both motors were intact and not busted loose from the transom etc., It's my belief that hitting anything that would bust a hull open on a quality built boat, would most likely heavily damage the motors or break them loose from the transom.

Now, this is just my opinion and not based on any real facts, maybe they did hit something?
CC Whaler's are I believe called Outrage, and they seem to have a rather strong following and are well thought of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:29   #4

Boat: Sabre 28

That boat was apparently a 27' Sea Pro. With the crack all down the center of the boat I wonder if it could hold an air bubble in it?

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:30   #5

Actually many Whalers have a pretty thin skin or that foam.

We pulled one off the rocks last year that lost over half of its bottom. Yep...didn't sink and we towed it a mile back to a marina.

Not sure any production made boat would have survived the beating, but while a Whaler is strong because of its internal foam, and potable won't sink, I could easily see one having its hull split by witting a knife edged object or punctured by a sharp one.

Whaler does a good job at marketing and selling at a premium....which it may be justified to do.

I don't think I have ever read any rest reports of their hulls compared to others for being damaged, just their pretty well documented "we don't sink" marketing.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
That boat was apparently a 27' Sea Pro. With the crack all down the center of the boat I wonder if it could hold an air bubble in it?

Shawn

All CC boats I am familiar with are "self bailing" meaning the floor is sealed from the rest of the hull and any water that gets into the boat just runs out the scuppers and does not get into the bilge, if you didn't bust the floor, it should be air tight even if there were gaping holes in the hull.
Eventually water will find it's way in, no idea how long that would take though.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:56   #7

Except for the boats with large removable fishboxes, etc that might fall out as the boat rolls if the latches are undone or broken (before or from the weight of stuff inside the fishbox).
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Boston Whaler was I believe either the first to foam fill the interior hull, or maybe just the first to use that as a marketing technique.
But for many years all small boats that I know if if not overloaded won't sink.

That was no Whaler I'm sure, A Whaler would not have busted it's hull, in my opinion.
I don't think they hit anything, both motors were intact and not busted loose from the transom etc., It's my belief that hitting anything that would bust a hull open on a quality built boat, would most likely heavily damage the motors or break them loose from the transom.

Now, this is just my opinion and not based on any real facts, maybe they did hit something?
CC Whaler's are I believe called Outrage, and they seem to have a rather strong following and are well thought of.
Help.....where in this thread does it mention anything about this?

Unless I'm missing something.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35   #9

As I research I am seeing pics with a person hanging onto the 4' of bow tip as that is the only part of the perpiducular boat that is out of the water.

The SC boat rescue is interesting as that boat was perfectly level...just upside down.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:36   #10

Pretty certain that production boat builders are only required to provide positive floatation in powered boats 20' or less. USCG regulations
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
Help.....where in this thread does it mention anything about this?

Unless I'm missing something.

I got that from watching the Video, it looked like the hull was busted close to the keel for a considerable length, and appeared that both motors were still straight down, (up here of course as the boat was inverted) and I saw no damage to either foot or prop.
I've seen a few boats that have hit submerged obstacles like a telephone pole, stump etc., and it seems if you hit it right on the keel, you almost always bust the engine and transom.
Anything is possible of course, but I didn't see evidence of them hitting anything, a busted hull of course.

Pretty puzzling?

On edit, its hard to bust a hull like that, I've seen boats hit stumps that threw the boat into the air so violently it ejected the driver, and not bust the hull. Little boat hulls are tough, have to be to survived being trailered.
Wife's Father was a designer years ago, he told me the hardest thing on a boat was being trailered on a bumpy road, and to never buy a trailer that just supported the boat on rollers, be sure to have bunks to spread the load.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I got that from watching the Video, it looked like the hull was busted close to the keel for a considerable length, and appeared that both motors were still straight down, (up here of course as the boat was inverted) and I saw no damage to either foot or prop.
I've seen a few boats that have hit submerged obstacles like a telephone pole, stump etc., and it seems if you hit it right on the keel, you almost always bust the engine and transom.
Anything is possible of course, but I didn't see evidence of them hitting anything, a busted hull of course.

Pretty puzzling?

On edit, its hard to bust a hull like that, I've seen boats hit stumps that threw the boat into the air so violently it ejected the driver, and not bust the hull. Little boat hulls are tough, have to be to survived being trailered.
Wife's Father was a designer years ago, he told me the hardest thing on a boat was being trailered on a bumpy road, and to never buy a trailer that just supported the boat on rollers, be sure to have bunks to spread the load.
Yup, its the bunks that support the boat. Rollers are for moving boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:46   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are a lot of trailers that are called EZ load or something like that, they are just rollers, so you boat is being supported by rollers only.
I was told avoid those, it's bad for the hull.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:12   #14

I had an EZ Roller trailer with just rollers. New boat that I had for 6 years back in the late 80'a to early 90's. I had not trouble other than easy on and real easy off. Always a bit worried that if the tie downs failed the boat would roll off the trailer and into the highway.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well obviously the aren't breaking boats, or we would have all heard about it.
But He knows what he is talking about, and it may apparently weaken the hull.
Just like how many people have you seen load the boat up with full coolers etc in their driveway and have the bed of the truck empty? Maybe not the best for the boat and trailer, better to haul that 200 or 300 lbs in the truck instead?
Yet people do it all the time, and seemingly get away with it.