Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 11:17   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Do Center Console boats sink?

Roller trailers are fine if there are enough rollers for the weight of he boat.

They have to be in the right places.

Many trailers are roller only, no bunks.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:12   #17

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I got that from watching the Video, it looked like the hull was busted close to the keel for a considerable length, and appeared that both motors were still straight down, (up here of course as the boat was inverted) and I saw no damage to either foot or prop.
I've seen a few boats that have hit submerged obstacles like a telephone pole, stump etc., and it seems if you hit it right on the keel, you almost always bust the engine and transom.
Anything is possible of course, but I didn't see evidence of them hitting anything, a busted hull of course.

Pretty puzzling?

On edit, its hard to bust a hull like that, I've seen boats hit stumps that threw the boat into the air so violently it ejected the driver, and not bust the hull. Little boat hulls are tough, have to be to survived being trailered.
More info on this thread:
CharlestonFishing.Com - 4 Rescued
including response from captain/owner. He says they didn't hit anything. Boat came up onto plane and then started filling with water. Almost new boat - looks like a manufacturing defect to me.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:54   #18

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Almost new boat - looks like a manufacturing defect to me.
Thanks for the link. Sea Pro shut down in 2008. According to the owner in that thread they had just purchased in about 3 weeks earlier with 274 hours on the engines.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:04   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I can think of at least four occasions in recent history where center console boats were found floating upside down. The one the OP mentioned is the only one where the crew survived.

Shortly after that incident a boat went missing out of Hawaii. The boat was found floating upside down the next day. The crew was not found. In fact the boat that was towing in the found boat capsized as well. Again the boat floated but as it was near shore the crew was picked up quickly. Only one suffered hypothermia. One actually swam to shore.

About a year ago two boys went fishing here in Florida. When they didn't return the searchers found the boat floating upside down. The boys were never found. The boat was then lost and it floated for about a year before it was found on the other side of the Atlantic. One of the boys cell phones was still in it.

Going back a few years, a boat left the west coast of Florida on a fishing trip with four men aboard. When it didn't return a search was started. The boat was found still afloat, upside down, with one man left clinging to it. The others had suffered hypothermia and drifted away in the night.

What I find interesting is how often outboard boats turn turtle. It looked like the young boys who died had been working on the engine when the boat flipped. The boat from the West coast of Florida was anchored by the stern.
Old 08-07-2016, 13:46   #20

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
What I find interesting is how often outboard boats turn turtle. It looked like the young boys who died had been working on the engine when the boat flipped. The boat from the West coast of Florida was anchored by the stern.
The boat from the west coast of Florida (crewed by several professional athletes) was anchored by the bow. They couldn't get the anchor up so they re-tied it to the stern and tried to use the boats power to pull it up. Unfortunately the stern pulled under instead and the boat capsized. You really can't blame the boat for that one.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 15:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"The boat from the west coast of Florida (crewed by several professional athletes) was anchored by the bow. They couldn't get the anchor up so they re-tied it to the stern and tried to use the boats power to pull it up. Unfortunately the stern pulled under instead and the boat capsized. You really can't blame the boat for that one."

That's the one. Football players as I recall.
What I'm thinking is that outboard boats, with transom mounted engines as opposed to bracket mounted, are very vulnerable to being swamped from the stern. It's just something you need to be aware of.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:55   #22

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Hypothermia is the #1 issue if you ever get dumped into the water. That is probably why the boat is found but no or few survivors. The Florida teens and the football players, if I remember correctly was in the spring. The water is still chilly even in Florida.

Knowing hypothermia is #1 issue if boat overturns anyone have any good ideas how to combat it? My 1st idea is to store a wetsuit. But it would not be easy to get it on. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:20   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Carry an Epirb or PLB like the fellows in the first example. They were rescued pretty quickly.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:39   #24

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Hypothermia is the #1 issue if you ever get dumped into the water. That is probably why the boat is found but no or few survivors. The Florida teens and the football players, if I remember correctly was in the spring. The water is still chilly even in Florida.

Knowing hypothermia is #1 issue if boat overturns anyone have any good ideas how to combat it? My 1st idea is to store a wetsuit. But it would not be easy to get it on. Any other ideas?

Wetsuits are only good for limited protection. For extended survival... 60F water is about the limit.

Dry suits will protect more. Mainly by keeping the clothing under it dry so you have added insulation.

Then there's survival suits.

But if the water is cold enough... even in a survival suit your life expectancy in the water might be measured in minutes.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 13:59   #25

I attended a lecture from an Alaskan fisherman who survived in the north Pacific for 3 days IIRC, and another 3 or 4 on a snow covered island in below freezing temps.

He was in a standard commercial gumby suit.

The most important thing in survival is the will to live. He definitely had it, but the suit did it's job too.

If suits only protected you for minutes or hours, no one would waste their time with them. Even in the Arctic and Antarctic, the measure time for survival in decent gear is much longer than minutes, on USCG icebreakers we were offered recreational scuba dives in generic dry suits that everyone knew didn't fit all that well.
Old 09-07-2016, 14:37   #26

The coldest water I have ever been in was 44 degree water in March. We had a water thermometer so we knew the temp. I had a drysuit (semi-dry actually) and was water-skiing. So I was not in the water long. About 3 minutes and that was long enough.

I would imagine the 'will to live' would be key but would be reduced with each passing hour.

Interesting that the Florida teenager's boat was found upside down then lost, then several months later found again and so much (cell phone for one) was recovered from it.

Old 09-07-2016, 15:29   #27

Expectations of water skiing and survival I hope are world's apart.

I have lots of cold water rescues, the shortest anyone was in the water varying from 35 to 55 degrees would have been an hour...many lasted much longer with the upper limit of temp, some survivors had no thermal protection on.

There is a difference between being able to move and think when hypothermic, and actually survive. Thus the importance of exacting info where you are and the ability for rescuers to get to your nearly exact location.
Old 09-07-2016, 16:10   #28

Here.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	127621  
Old 09-07-2016, 17:18   #29

That chart shows what very few people think of. Survival is hours not days.

Old 09-07-2016, 17:52   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A number of those small open boats which go missing from the Florida area are picked here around Bermuda 6 months to a year later.