Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 17:12   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Diesel vs Domestic Fuel Oil?

I'd like to know how this turned out as well. Of course the OP doesn't need to fill his 250gal tank to get to the next diesel fuel dock. IMHO all cruising boats should carry jerry jugs for diesel (I've hauled a lot of diesel over the years - not a lot of fun but certainly an acceptable solution).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Furthermore, the closest thing you'll find to a "taxi" is a hay binder or logging truck that happens to be going your way, assuming of course that you actually managed to find the dirt road they're traveling on.
This bothered me the first time I read it - I should have said something then. I have never seen a logging truck that used anything but diesel (lots of them around here), and I would be surprised if hay binders didn't as well. If it is possible to find one of these I suspect the owner would be able to provide diesel from their own source rather than acting as a taxi.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 17:53   #32
med

A 90hp Lehman will be happy running on almost anything (chip oil, heating oil, any kind of diesel, Jet A1, Kerosene, olive oil, peanut oil, ....). If you use stuff with low lubricating properties for a long time add a little bit of lightish engine oil to reduce wear on the high pressure pump.

Things that might suffer long term with exotic fuels is the rubber/neoprene seals.

However, I would not put anything but good quality diesel into a modern common rail electronic engine.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 19:21   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

My little island community is served by one fuel supplier-Irving Oil.They also supply fuels from Me. to Miami.
Our furnace fuel,stove fuel,road diesel & boat diesel all come by ferry in the same tanker truck & is stored in the same bulk tank.It is then delivered around the community in one 2000 gal truck.
All our diesel commercial fishing boats,along with all diesel road vehicles(1/2 tons & cars),farm tractors,plus oil furnaces & anything else that burns furnace oil or diesel 1 & 2-use the same fuel from the same tank.
If the local delivery truck is going to fill up the road diesel tanks at local service stations,red dye is dumped in that load,to show it is road taxed.
If truck is going to deliver to commercial boats or to home heating tanks or other non-taxed users,no dye is added.
The fuel itself is identical!!.
During the winter,the refinery sends a blend of D1 & D2,to prevent gelling in lo temps.
Sulphur in diesel helps lube the injectors.Older diesels were designed for hi-sulphur fuel & will wear injectors on todays EPA mandated lo-sulphur diesel fuel.
You can add additives to your fuel to combat this wear in older diesels.

Please read the att'd link.It is a brief but accurate story about fuel,& will eliminate much outdated info.Mechanics Corner: The truth about diesel fuels

Cheers/Len
Old 01-04-2015, 22:36   #34

You would be amazed were taxis are available or if you go in and talk to the local marina staff someone is likely to offer to help out.

As others have said, a couple 5 gal jugs will probably get you to a marina that sells diesel.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:40   #35

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Thanks to all for your replies. Now that it's been pretty much confirmed that my old (1960's) Ford can run on #2 off-road with no technical or administrative problems, I won't have a problem finding it locally.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 15:54   #36

Boat: 48' DeFever
Send a message via Skype™ to Fueldiva

Here in BC #1 Diesel or heating oil is more pure and will smoke less and is more expensive but it can be used in any diesel engine and actually is better quality fuel.
Old 21-04-2015, 17:17   #37

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueldiva View Post
Here in BC #1 Diesel or heating oil is more pure and will smoke less and is more expensive but it can be used in any diesel engine and actually is better quality fuel.
No kidding? I always thought that #1 Heating Oil was at the bottom of the barrel in terms of refinement as well as price. Are you telling me that people spend more to heat their homes than to power their boats in BC?

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:04   #38

Boat: 48' DeFever
Send a message via Skype™ to Fueldiva

Crude is at the bottom of the barrel. lol

Heating oil is more expensive than marine diesel. Possibly because the diesel for boats is purchased in higher quantities and earn discounts.

Not many people use heating oil anymore to heat their houses here in BC.
The usual method is gas or electric.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:06   #39

Boat: Camano Troll

I still haven't figured out where on the St. Johns River the OP can't find diesel fuel. There are a couple marinas that have it and towns with gas stations that would have it. And of course, he's on a sailboat so he has the wind to get him to a source.

As a last resort, he could call his towing provider and have them bring him five or ten gallons.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:37   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
A 90hp Lehman will be happy running on almost anything (chip oil, heating oil, any kind of diesel, Jet A1, Kerosene, olive oil, peanut oil, ....). If you use stuff with low lubricating properties for a long time add a little bit of lightish engine oil to reduce wear on the high pressure pump.

Things that might suffer long term with exotic fuels is the rubber/neoprene seals.

However, I would not put anything but good quality diesel into a modern common rail electronic engine.

and you can make your own diesel too!

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, oil