Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 12:11   #16

Re: Deep draft- Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Thanks everyone for the great information.

Get the Explorer Chart Books and plan, plan, plan.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56   #17

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

For many years we've seen a 50 meter perini navi anchored just east of the chat'n'chill in george town exuma..I think the crew said it had a 13ft draft and got the using many dozen waypoints..

Also years ago I was on s 114steel sailboat built in 19(59 in germany anchorrd bow and stern in front of staniel cay y.c...it had a 14 ft draft..anyone know her name?
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Deep draft- Bahamas?

So buy steel.... definitely NOT wood...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

If your goals is to travel the length of the Bahamas (or part), occasionally stopping at the more popular anchorages and marinas, you most probably won't see a huge limitation.

However, that draft will put many passages and anchorages and islands on the banks either entirely off limits, or greatly restricted by tide.

The majority of the cruising I normally do in the Abacos for example would be completely off limits with that draft, even at MHW.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
If your goals is to travel the length of the Bahamas (or part), occasionally stopping at the more popular anchorages and marinas, you most probably won't see a huge limitation.

However, that draft will put many passages and anchorages and islands on the banks either entirely off limits, or greatly restricted by tide.

The majority of the cruising I normally do in the Abacos for example would be completely off limits with that draft, even at MHW.
I can live with that. I have heard that the Bahamas have lots of liveaboard kids (not sure if its true or not) so I would definitely want to stop by, so my kids can meet some of them. I don't need to get in everywhere, just close enough to ride about in the dingy
Old 02-08-2013, 21:23   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GG All I know is I bumped a big bunch with 7ft draft! I know I had to be twice as alert as I would have had to be with 6 ft or less ! Just sayin, it will make your nightime runs a real pain in the rear !
Old 02-08-2013, 22:02   #22

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Nice charts
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12   #23

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Galaxy Girl...

We installed a Interphase Forward Looking Sonar and poked our way around some really skinny water down in San Blas Panama and here on the West Coast of Florida.

If you have the money it is well worth the investment!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:08   #24

GG:
Others may choose to comment (they usually do!!) but when we were in the Bahamas 2 years ago, there certainly did not seem to many boats with kids aboard. I would say the average age was in the early 40s and many (like us) in their 50/60s. Just did not see many kids at all and we were there for 4 months and travelled around quite a lot. Once you get away from the Nassau Disney land environment there is not much for kids to do - barely any internet. Most places are just basic restaurants and bars!! Mind you the scenery and underwater sealife is amazing. Just not many kids, though that is a plus to many of us!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
For many years we've seen a 50 meter perini navi anchored just east of the chat'n'chill in george town exuma..I think the crew said it had a 13ft draft and got the using many dozen waypoints..

Also years ago I was on s 114steel sailboat built in 19(59 in germany anchorrd bow and stern in front of staniel cay y.c...it had a 14 ft draft..anyone know her name?
I guess you could get to the Chat and Chill through Three Fathom Channel on a high tide with a 13 foot draft. But, it would be exciting.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Galaxy Girl...

We installed a Interphase Forward Looking Sonar
What does it do?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG:
Others may choose to comment (they usually do!!) but when we were in the Bahamas 2 years ago, there certainly did not seem to many boats with kids aboard. I would say the average age was in the early 40s and many (like us) in their 50/60s. Just did not see many kids at all and we were there for 4 months and travelled around quite a lot. Once you get away from the Nassau Disney land environment there is not much for kids to do - barely any internet. Most places are just basic restaurants and bars!! Mind you the scenery and underwater sealife is amazing. Just not many kids, though that is a plus to many of us!!
Ok, I'm glad to hear your perspective on kids in the Bahamas. You might be right.
I spoke to a couple of cruisers who have been there in the past 6 months and both told me that the Bahamas is the place to go for kids, but when the times comes, I will certainly be sure to further investigate before disappointment hits.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39   #28

Re: Deep Draft- Bahamas?

Probably as many or more kids in the B'mas as further south I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21   #29

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I dont remember see lots of kids in Bahamas, but who know this days, one thing is for sure, Kids can get a hell of fun and a wonderfull experience there, Dolfins, nurse sharks, mantas rays , a cristal clear water, i recommend if you have Kids the Aquarium in Atlantis resort Nasau, and Thunderball cave in Staniel Cay if the kids can dive the entrance another nice spot, Enjoy it...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34   #30

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

All our local freight boats and fuel tankers draw 8-9' depending on load, they go everywhere,but watch the tides! You may not be able to get in or out of the harbours whenever you wish, but that is no reason not to come down. As for children there are lots of friendly locals.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, draft, bahamas