Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 16:53   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Cruising my 41' CHB from WA to Calif May2016

If it doesn't sell, I want to bring my 1982 - 41' CHB down from Poulsbo WA, to Calif Seal Beach in early May. (See at webworldusa ) Does that sound like a good time to bring her here? I would like to stay offshore as much as possible to make the trip as soon as possible. But I also want to enjoy the trip and fish etc. I figure I can fill up at Grays Harbor and if I stay offshore make it to Bodega Bay, in Calif. Cruising at 7kts + or _. Maybe running one engine for 10 hours then switching. Then fill up at Bodega and make it to Seal Beach, If weather permits. Not sure of the weather around 1st of May . . . in these areas. . . any ideas. . . . . . There are many place to pull into along the coast. I do have updated electronics. I do know that the weather usually picks up midday for much of the Pacific Coast normal blow is North to South. But if there is any really knowledgeable advice about this, then please do let me know, thanks. I'm 76YO male with a 100 ton license/not current. Thanks.
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 21:35   #2

Re: Cruising my 41' CHB from WA to Calif May2016

Splash
Others will comment on the weather, but there is no marina or public docks in Seal Beach. Good anchorage between oil islands and coast. Look for dock space in Long Beach harbor (Port of Long Beach).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Cruising my 41' CHB from WA to Calif May2016

I use to commercial fish off Northern California. The usual weather pattern is NW winds after a low pressure area goes thru. The winds will start at about 25 and over 3-4 days become 5-15. As the next low shows up, the winds may die to nothing for a day then blow from the SW at 10-20. Then return to the NW over a day or so. The pattern seems to cycle at 7 to 10 days. The swells almost always come from the NW and only get beat down by strong S to SW winds. If a storm moves fast from the south, it can get dangerous. NW swells with SW seas.
All the headlands increase the ground swell. I normally run 20 to 25 miles out. Bodega Bay, Drakes Bay and Crescent City can be entered in almost any sea condition. Shelter Cove is open, but offers protection from NW swells. Everything else south of Cape Flattery has bars that often are closed in storm conditions.
Also, As the NW winds die down, fog comes in. The fog can last several days. Visibility is often under 1/4 mile.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising