Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 18:12   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Cruising into Canada 2015

If you do go to Howe Sound, there is the Eagle watching on the Squamish River near Brackendale... There's nice hiking, mountain lake fishing, and single track mountain bike trails too.
Old 14-02-2015, 18:17   #17

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
If you do go to Howe Sound, there is the Eagle watching on the Squamish River near Brackendale... There's nice hiking, mountain lake fishing, and single track mountain bike trails too.
And the rock climbing is awesome!
Old 14-02-2015, 19:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

By the way, Canadian's entering the U.S. in most cases must have a passport because of U.S. homeland security demands, cannot bring in firearms or explosives, wood, vegetables, fruit, have limits on the amount of alcohol they can bring into the U.S., customs/immigration have access to Canadian criminal records and when boating, all U.S.C.G. regulations must be met.

So Canadian demands are not so unreasonable when considering U.S. requirements.
Gos2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 20:38   #19

Best advice is to get yourself a NEXUS card. It takes a bit of time but well worth the $100 and time. On a boat, I can call in my border clearance in both directions - sometimes they board sometimes they don't even come out. Makes clearing the border by car fast and easy too.

As for overly official. I love clearing thru to Canada and I loath clearing back into the USA, my home country. Absolutely hate dealing with US Border agents - usually rude and not too smart. The Canadians are unfailingly polite, smart and efficient.

FYI, I clear the border about every three weeks so have a fair amount of experience with both sides
ntscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:36   #20

Boat: Tollycraft Pilothouse 61’

My experiences are the same, except have not done Nexus yet. Follow the rules on both sides and NEVER lie, have seen folks do it going in both directions and it is not pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Best advice is to get yourself a NEXUS card. It takes a bit of time but well worth the $100 and time. On a boat, I can call in my border clearance in both directions - sometimes they board sometimes they don't even come out. Makes clearing the border by car fast and easy too.

As for overly official. I love clearing thru to Canada and I loath clearing back into the USA, my home country. Absolutely hate dealing with US Border agents - usually rude and not too smart. The Canadians are unfailingly polite, smart and efficient.

FYI, I clear the border about every three weeks so have a fair amount of experience with both sides
Crabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 08:23   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post

Double ditto
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 16:27   #22

Boat: sv/Hopefully Soon

If you are an American citizen and your state of residency provides Enhanced Drivers Licenses, which are less expensive and expeditious, a passport not necessary.
As to how, where and what about getting into Canada via private boat, the internet is loaded with information.
Hope this helps you to have a great adventure to the PNW.
Richard
Wind Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 14:45   #23

Boat: Mainship 34'

I like to clear Canadian Customs and Immigration in Bedwell Harbour, South Pender Island. But only open in the summer months. I have posted many nautical mile cruising distances for this area. Do a Google search for nwcruising.net
c10ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 15:22   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I grew up on the coast (Vancouver) and spent my formative years until I was nearly 30 towing logs, barges, commercial fishing, beach combing and generally making a nuisance of myself from the Queen Charlttes down to Washington State. My advice is to check in at South Pender Island in the gulf Islands, you should have a passport which makes entering the U.S. again a lot easier. The Nexus card is really to avoid lines at border crossings with heavy vehicular traffic... Doesn't do you much good by boat!
Spend some time cruising around the Gulf Islands and Victoria if you have time... Beautiful country and many supurb anchorages. You can take one long gun(rifle) into Canada and one shotgun. You will not be allowed entry if you have ANY handguns. So, leave 'me behind!
On your way up to Pricess Louisa Inlet, stop at Secret Cove and around the corner at Pender Harbor. Also, as you start into Jervis Inlet pass Nelson Island to the south and stop in Egmont. Great little general store, fun bar and hike onto the Skookumchuck Rapids... It is really a sight not to be missed. Do not try to enter the Rapids, however, even if you are familiar with the tides and current in the area. While Porpoise Bay is a nice spot, you need local knowledge to get out! Head out of Egmont back into Jervis inlet and hang a right up to PLI. Watch your tides closely going in to PLI as the tide runs pretty hot on both flood and ebb. No need to go up to the end of Jervis Inlet unless you enjoy looking at logging camps.
If you have the time to head up to Desolation Sound, you are about a days run to the bottom end from Pender Harbor. Watch for deadheads (widow makers)... They will tear the bottom out of your boat and all the running gear with it!
Enjoy your adventure... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 15:32   #25

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Get a copy of Waggoner cruising guide. This will give you just about everything you need to know also a copy of Ports and passes for 2015 that will give you tidal and current information you will need. A good electronic chart kit and paper charts to back up(Canada rules you need charts for the area you are in). Good luck look for Moon River July and August.,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	103298   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0889.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	103299  

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags