Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 21:16   #1

Cruising and Wintering in SE Alaska

We will be cruising SE Alaska for the first time this year and are looking for some advice. We will be in a 44' Ocean Alexander. We will spend most of our time north of Ketchikan, south of Juneau, and west to Sitka during June, July, and August.

If we enjoy the adventure, we may want to leave the boat in SE Alaska rather than bring it all the way back to the Seattle area. Any recommendations on storing a boat between Port Hardy up to Juneau? Which location might be best? Is it better for the boat to be in the water or dry docked?

Are there good river fishing opportunities and which region might be the best for fishing (mostly coho and rivers)?

I need internet connection to keep the cash flow going from work. Satellite systems are cost prohibitive. What is the availability of wi-fi and which cell phone service has the best coverage? Any ideas regarding internet connectivity are appreciated. I need more than e-mail with research and download capacity.

Thanks for the input!
djcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 22:35   #2

Boat: Roberts TY 43
Re: Cruising and Wintering in SE Alaska

For cell coverage, don't expect anything as good as the lower 48. Cell tower installations are few and far between, but most communities have coverage. The local companies are ACS and GCI. I think ACS has better coverage statewide in maritime communities. Both offer high-speed data. AT&T is a joke up here, but it would probably work in Juneau and Ketchikan. I'm sure it roams to GCI GSM when needed. ACS is a CDMA system.

Petersburg had the best moorage rates. Juneau and Ketchikan had several choices. We keep the boat in the water all year long, but have to deal with large amounts of snow further north. SE doesn't have that problem, but the rain will test every water intrusion point on your vessel.

You will probably want a boatwatch type person to check the lines and address any physical issues while you're away, or at a minimum, arrange a contact person. I have put my own monitoring system in and watch shore AC, motion, and high water. You will also find yourself watching the weather ALOT.

Great cruising around SE, and you should have no problem finding good salmon streams. Check out this site...

ADFG Fish Resource Monitor

It has the keys to the kingdom of fishing Alaskan fresh waters...Have fun.
Norskip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, cruising