Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 23:14   #1

Cruiser suggestions

Hello everyone,
First time posting. I'm just starting the process of looking for a cruiser. I'm not sure what fits my needs so I'd definitely take any advice you can offer. Fill disclosure, I'm new to boating so forgive my ignorance.

Needs
Able to host 6-8 people
Able to live aboard for up to a week or more
Trailerable
Less than 75k
I'd like to be able to cruise down the east coast Atlantic side or ICW.
Would be a huge plus if it could cut across from Florida to the Bahamas and further south in the Caribbean

I've looked at some Bayliners so far that I think might satisfy all of these needs I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
Casper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 00:09   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Cruiser suggestions

You do mean without sails, correct?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 02:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I can't imagine a trailerable boat that could host 6-8 people for a week. Maybe if you have a semi as a tow vehicle.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 04:56   #4

Boat: Carver 356

Ok, someone has to say...
Take some boating classes. The Coast Guard Aux and US Power Squadron both offer classes. At a minimum, take the boating safety class and then follow up with a seamanship class. Actual classes, not online.

My advice, start with something smaller, more manageable to get some experience before moving up in size to the outside limits of a trailerable boat. Around 28' is about as big a cruiser you will find to be trailerable. What vehicle do you have to pull it with?
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 05:03   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper19 View Post
Needs
Able to host 6-8 people
Trailerable
Less than 75k
Would be a huge plus if it could cut across from Florida to the Bahamas and further south in the Caribbean

6-8 people for a week and trailerable are maybe almost mutually exclusive requirements.

What do you mean by "host" 6-8 people -- overnight stays (up to a week?), or just hang out? Real (full size) people, or some kidlings?

-Chris
Old 23-04-2019, 05:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You do mean without sails, correct?
Probably a reason he posted in the Powered Boats section. And Bayliner would be another clue.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2019, 12:44   #7

Thank you to everyone for the responses

I can understand the theory on starting with something around 28 feet. I'm leaning against a sailboat at this point, knowing that my fuel costs would be higher.

I've been looking at the bayliner 265s and 285s as of late. I'll definitely be signing up to take a boating course in the near future.
Old 23-04-2019, 13:21   #8

Ok, my suggestion is to start with something small, maybe 20-22'. Get your feet wet, get some experience and then you will have a better understanding of needs and don't needs.

I might add there's nothing wrong with some of the Bayliners even though there is a crowd who says they are junk and don't waste your money. Just know what you are getting and a seatrial and survey are a MUST.
Bayliners are known to be entry level boats and one area they save money is by putting undersized engines on them. Believe me, you will be kicking yourself big time if you buy an underpowered boat
Old 23-04-2019, 13:32   #9

I think 8˝' beam is as wide as you can go for normal trailering, 10' beam under certain circumstances, I think with no special permits. Can't remember circumstances; something like daylight only, no weekends or holidaze...

BoatUS could probably advise on that, and they offer towing insurance too.

Small Bayliners are generally considered entry level boats -- nothing wrong with that -- and large Bayliners are considered much better by many... but the larger ones still tend to get a bad rap from the small boats.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2019, 13:33   #10

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the responses

I can understand the theory on starting with something around 28 feet. I'm leaning against a sailboat at this point, knowing that my fuel costs would be higher.
Fuel costs higher....oh yea. I've had 2 sailboats, a 30 and 34 footer. In the 11 years I owned them, I believe I never burned more than 25 gallons in a season, usually more in the 15-20 range.
When I bought my powerboat a year ago, I burned 125 gallons just getting the boat to my home port.
Old 23-04-2019, 14:44   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think 8˝' beam is as wide as you can go for normal trailering
Yes, a few states / cities require permits at 8.0', but 8.5" is good for most.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:44   #12

Quote:
Hello everyone,
First time posting. I'm just starting the process of looking for a cruiser. I'm not sure what fits my needs so I'd definitely take any advice you can offer. Fill disclosure, I'm new to boating so forgive my ignorance.

Needs
Able to host 6-8 people
Trailerable
Less than 75k

I've looked at some Bayliners so far that I think might satisfy all of these needs I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
Casper, hate to bug you, but you haven't answered our questions. 6-8 people...is that for evening cocktails or the whole week? How many people will be on board overnight? For a week?
For the type of cruising like you are suggesting, not many people do it on the type of cruiser you are looking at. Most likely, a single diesel trawler fits the bill for long distance cruising. Of course, you're not going to be putting one of those on a trailer, but $75k for an older 34' is doable.
Old 23-04-2019, 21:13   #13

6-8 people would be for evening cocktails. 4 people overnight for up to a week would be nice. If I went the trawler route, would a 34' be large enough for cruising the east coast and the northern Caribbean?
Thanks again everyone for your responses. It's definitely a huge help to a novice like me when deciding where to start looking.
Old 24-04-2019, 04:01   #14

Our smallest boats were 34' (trawler) and 33' (express fishboat) respectively, both with a wider beam than trailerable... and 4 people overnight was doable... just. It wasn't easy to get out of the V-berth through the rest of the boat and out, given people sleeping in the saloon being in the way.

A set-up like the SeaRay Sundancers (and similar) might have worked a bit better -- given the combination of V-berth and mid-cabin berth under the helm, but still might need a 34' model (or in that range somewhere). Not trailerable, as far as I know.

Yes, a 34' trawler would be fine for east coast and near islands. Travel across to the latter likely being best managed by choosing decent weather windows...

There are also some convertibles (sportfish with amenities), sedan bridge models, and aft-cabin motor yachts that could be viable. Those designs usually offer a wider range of speeds, but the diesel versions can be economical if driven like a trawler when weather and sea states permit. There are even plausible arguments for gas models, more usually depending on expected/intended travel distances over time.

-Chris

Tags
cruise, cruiser