Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47   #16

Re: crossing the Caicos Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
I just think you are taking an unnecessary chance when you don't have to. If you are wanting to stop in Provo, go in at Turtle Cove (sellers pond) that's where everything is anyway. Then go back around northwest point, past West Caicos and head to Luperon . Make sure and check the weather.. The post talking about things getting rough fast is correct.

If St Thomas is your destination, I don't understand why you're headed to the DR unless "tu quiere chicas y divertido". Most leave Provo, cross the Mona Passage and head for PR before making way to St. Thomas. This is the normal power boat route. Where are you headed in STT? AYH, Compass Point, or Charlotte Amile?
Compass Point is my final destination. I cannot make it there without refueling somewhere, my range is only about 250 miles.
crosscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59   #17

Then head for Oceanworld to fuel up instead of Luperon, or Semana. Stay out of Puerto Plata Govt. Dock. Oceanworld will allow you to fill and leave if you want. Luperon will want you checking in and out as will every other place you stop in the DR. They are a poor country and will want as much of your money as they can get.

Maybe head to Grand Turk to refuel after Provo and you should be able to make Puerto Rico easy enoughh from there. Keep your camera handy going over Silver Banks off PR. The Humpback Whales are there now. I wish you safe voyage no matter which route you decide on.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 17:35   #18

Thanks all for the advice. I arrived at the South Side Marina in Provo today. Looks like I am going to be here a while. I am glad I chose a southern side marina considering the heavy winds from the NE for the next few days. I will most likely(when the weather allows) cross the bank and overnight at Big Sand Cay before making the run down to the DR.
Old 08-01-2017, 19:31   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscr View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I arrived at the South Side Marina in Provo today. Looks like I am going to be here a while. I am glad I chose a southern side marina considering the heavy winds from the NE for the next few days. I will most likely(when the weather allows) cross the bank and overnight at Big Sand Cay before making the run down to the DR.

Congrats.... Bob will take great care of you.. He is a good fellow..

Be careful of Big Sand... Van Sant recommends it but I haven't heard anything good from anyone.. Its an open roadstead that is VERY rolly. A couple of people suggested it should be removed from the book, or only recommended in very settled weather.

When you get to Luperon, ensure you checkout the old yatch club (up on the hill). Cool to walk around and imagine it in the hayday!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:31   #20

After 10 days of waiting on weather in Provo we finally made it to the DR this morning. We left South Side marina, crossed to banks to Cockburn Harbour in South Caicos. Overnighted there and refueled and then headed for Big Sand Cay. Very nice spot. Yes it was rolly and had small waves breaking on the beautiful beach which made getting on it a little harder but it was a nice rest stop. Just before sunset we pulled up anchor and made an uneventful overnight run to Ocean World. Very nice here.
Old 20-01-2017, 14:39   #21

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscr View Post
After 10 days of waiting on weather in Provo we finally made it to the DR this morning. We left South Side marina, crossed to banks to Cockburn Harbour in South Caicos. Overnighted there and refueled and then headed for Big Sand Cay. Very nice spot. Yes it was rolly and had small waves breaking on the beautiful beach which made getting on it a little harder but it was a nice rest stop. Just before sunset we pulled up anchor and made an uneventful overnight run to Ocean World. Very nice here.
Cool.. Enjoy..

I hope to see you down here this season!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:23   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'

Hello all, We are docked in Provo , heading to PR this morning, wondered if anyone had knowledge of crossing the Caicos Bank from Provo heading East....We are a 50 ft St Francis cat w 4.5 ft draft, thanks
Steve
Steven & Bonnie Carroll
SV Paradigm Shift
mdsailors is offline   Reply With Quote