Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 20:53   #1

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30
Coronet Owners

I am the proud owner of Zarah, a 30 ft Coronet Seafarer30 and wondered if there are any other members on here with a love for this make of boat.
Zarah is moored in lovely Sydney harbour and in average condition.

You may well laugh at me but I quite enjoy having an ongoing project and enjoy the quality of the boat every time something needs a hand.
There is an online club for Coronet owners but cant be joined due to bad management so I thought to try here.
Any comments are welcome
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 21:18   #2

Re: Coronet Owners

Some research showed that Zarah was called Norseman originally.
I was fortunate enough to meet a previous owner that shared priceless info. I will change her name to Zarah Norseman - it has a good ring to it!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 00:16   #3

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

When living in Townsville during the 90s we had a 25ft Coronet fitted with twin petrol Volvos.Gave our family plenty of pleasure during many many trips around the Palm Island Group ,Whitsundays and out to the reef.Took it on a truck to Perth when job changed but sold it over there when moved up to an ex Navy 45 ft twin Gardiner diesel ex survey vessel.
Beautifully built and finished boat but have not seen one of any size for a few years.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 00:34   #4

Boat: Family Cruiser

Do you mean this online club Coronet Yacht Club
Even if you are not a member of this club, there is a discussion forum and you can initiate discussions or place questions there. It is mainly in swedish language but it seems that they will answer in english too and actually it seems that people from different nationalities are following up discussion there. Forum is called “Bryggsnak” and to start discussion click “Starta en ny discussion”.

I think your boat is Seafarer 31, there is also as a models Oceanfarer 30 and shorter Seafarer 27.

I studied these Seafarers some years ago as one option to have a boat. This is how I understood things by that time, it can be that I’m completely wrong and I haven’t been able verify this information from anywhere. Please correct if this is complete nonsense according to information you have. Oceanfarer and Seafarer 27 are older design and from late 60’es when fuel consumption was not any issue. They are boats having clearly planning hull with good properties this kind of hull design has, but also with disadvantages like that they are hungry for power and have high fuel consumption. As at beginning of 70’es there was global energy crisis and “Botved Boats”, manufacturer of Coronets had a need for different hull design for lower speed and lesser fuel consumption. 31 Aft Cabin was introduced as this type of hull design. As a replacement for Seafarer 27 was introduced Seafarer 31. Idea was to make hull longer without adding weight and make it able to plane in lower speeds. Instead of modifying 27ft Seafarer they ended to use hull of 31 Aft Cabin. Same logic was used for Coronet Family 24, they extended stern of boat having also lesser V-angle this way. Family 24 was replaced with Family 26 model that was designed for lower speeds.

Have you followed up fuel consumption of your boat. They say that 27ft Seafarers have consumption of 2liter/mile or above but 31ft model could be as low as 1.5liter/mile, is this true?
HeikkiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:14   #5

Initially I made a mistake. I have a Coronet Oceanfarer30.
There were not many of them produced before it was changed to an Oceanfarer32 as you correctly indicated.
It's a very maneuverable boat due to the Volvo Penta 280 stern drives but with only a 750mm draught it is easily affected by wind and sea currents.
With the two engines at 2000 rpm doing 12 knots I can cruise for 10 hours on full tanks of 400 liters total. That's 20 liters per hour on each engine. The boat can do 20 knots with ease.
There is a third 200 litre fuel tank mid ship on my boat but it is not in service. I'm not sure how it was connected originally but it is still there.
The two V8 chev 350 engines have the old style points and condenser ignition systems so there is some room for economizing with electronic ignition systems.
Your research is very accurate and interesting and I will attempt to join the website that you mentioned. Thank you for the information and I hope you did buy a Coronet, they are truly magnificent boats and a credit to Bovet.
-A

Old 09-01-2014, 02:13   #6

Swedish boating magazine "Praktiskt Båtägande" had an article preciesly about that short 30ft version of Oceanfarer. By information from their website it was issue 9/2006. I have read it and propably I have it still somewhere...
Old 10-01-2014, 19:12   #7

That's fantastic! What a find! I can have the Swedish translated.
Any idea where I can get a copy of the article please?
Thanks for your very interesting and informative postings.

Old 13-01-2014, 22:42   #8

^I'll send you a PM
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40   #9

The Danes know a thing or two about boat-building. We have a 32' Coronet Deepsea on LI. She's over 40 years old, but garners many compliments. Dual controls, twin AQ225 (Chevy 305)/280 setup, much use of mahogany throughout. She's a great-looking and well-built boat. This club is a great resource:
Coronet Yacht Club
Coronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 23:52   #10

Hi there, just wondering how you are going! I'm still very happy with the Coronet and enjoy it very much. The info from you is very useful and I've used as part of the boat history. I've also managed to track down some previous owners. Very interesting indeed.
Well all the best for the new year!
Andrie.

Old 30-12-2014, 04:24   #11

Sea has now freezed ower to Sweden and all boats are on dock so not much happening on that side.
Happy new year there too to other side of world.
Old 30-12-2014, 05:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Coronet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 07:53   #13

My gosh, sorry for the late THANK YOU!!!
Coronet is offline   Reply With Quote