Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2011, 09:34   #31

Timeline Clarification

Ok, I probably should clarify a major point here.

Our sailing/cruising/motoring (whatever we end up) won't be a 10 year adventure (well, probably not). In all likelihood we are thinking 2, maybe 3 years of constant live-aboard cruising. If we love it that much, and the green paper tides allow it, of course we could keep going 10 years and on and on. But the plan, for now, is really a 2-3 year plan, then something else. As much as I love the water, and all the ideas and desires of the islands, the boats, etc. it just probably won't hold for longer than that.

I would, however, love in that time to get a license so that I could at least potentially work on and around boats for a living.

I doubt I'll keep the young wife happy when the biological clock starts ticking louder. It really sounds from my messages like she's not into this, but that's really not that case, and don't want to imply that at all. It's just that realistically, I don't foresee this being a completely permanent lifestyle for us, more of a long-term adventure.

Old 18-01-2011, 09:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You have a good range of fuel consumption figures above for different engine sizes and some numbers for sails from Dockhead. For a slightly smaller yacht at 31 feet our new rigging both standing and running has just cost us 1900 ($3000) and be good for 10 years. A set of ordinary but good quality sails will cost 2000 ($3200) and be good for 10 years.

You need to find a big second hand boat show to take the wife and have a fun weekend away looking and considering all the options, take a camera too

Pete
Any ideas on when any are, or where I can find info on any near Georgia (North-Mid Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Alabama).

Old 18-01-2011, 09:42   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Like I said, I sail not to save fuel, but for the passion. So I would advise you to choose because of what you would like to be doing on the water, rather than cost.
It's a total generalization and it's meant to be a joke, but like any joke, there has to be an element of truth to it for it to be funny - here's my favorite trawler/sailboat joke:

Q: What's the difference between a trawler and a sailboat?

A: A sailboat only motors 90% of the time.
Old 18-01-2011, 09:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
It's a total generalization and it's meant to be a joke, but like any joke, there has to be an element of truth to it for it to be funny - here's my favorite trawler/sailboat joke:

Hahaha....That's sort of what I was thinking from a fuel consumption stand point. The better question is what's the difference between a sailboat and a motorsailer?

I saw a thread on this on here somewhere, and basically, it was a pilothouse? Wouldn't any sailboat with an engine be a motorsailer?

Because we're going to be doing this for probably 2-3 years, I'm hoping if we go with sail, we won't have to replace sails and Maybe not the rigging over the shorter period of time (maybe once at purchase, but then not again).
Old 18-01-2011, 10:36   #35

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
So essentially with a trawler at this rate...a motor to the Bahamas from FL would take you about 15 hours?

and cost between $60-100 in fuel?

Do you see any significant savings in boat maintenance (I'm thinking the cost of sails, sailing rigger, etc... mainly).... or does that come out in additional motor maintenance?

Yeppers. Like I said, we're not in a hurry. Savings? (are savings of any sort available in boating?) No, but with a single engine/single head we only have one of everything to break/fix/replace. Not that it has, but for when it does.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:31   #36

While I'm a hardcore sailor, you mentioned the ICW. I took a sailboat down the ICW this fall. 95%+ motoring. It was like being in a trawler except I ran aground and almost hit a low bridge.

To me, cruising in motorsailers and trawlers has two huge advantages:

1. At anchor you look out windows not port holes. It's incredible how nice this is. Think if your house had little 7" oval windows. Sure you can sit in the cockpit on a sailboat in good weather - until the bugs show up five minutes after sundown.

2. Underway, you don't have to sit out in the rain, wind, and cold. Steering from inside has been preferred on commercial and naval boats for about 150 years. For good reason.

Incredibly, many of the deck saloon boats give you windows but they are too high to see out when you sit in the cabin and there's no inside steering station. Seems to defeat the purpose.

Carl
Old 18-01-2011, 12:50   #37

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Lot's of opinions and points of view, aren't forums great! Here's my $.02....We have a planing hull ACMY with pretty much two of everything. More to maintain? Yes, but when one engine breaks (hasn't happened yet, thank God) the other one hopefully keeps on going. When one head breaks or clogs (has happened!) we at least can use the working one until time permits a fix, and so on. We have as much room in our 43' boat as some small apartments, with big windows that we can enjoy looking out of and plenty of room to move around and get some quite time when needed. We aren't going on a transatlantic cruise or even circumnavigating and don't want to. We don't have or want a lower steering station, but we have a weather tight and comfortable bridge with excellent visibility and a hard roof. What we do is piddle around Florida and the Bahamas mainly with some plans maybe to do the loop in a year or two to see a little more of the US.
We can idle along at 6 knots, and I do mean idle which is about 1,000 rpms and burn 3gph of diesel. We can turn 1,250 rpm and make 8 knots burning a tad over 4 gph which is about where we run most of the time. However sometimes we want to get out of the weather or across the 'Gulf Stream' or whatever, and we can turn 1,500 rpm and make 10 knots at 10 gph, turn 1,800 for 12 knots at 15 gph or turn 2,100 for 15 knots at 25 gph. In an emergency we top out at 19 knots at 2,600 rpm and burn 34 gph. You can look up the max fuel burn for many diesels including our Cats and more (Lehman, Volvo, Cummins, Perkins, etc.) at a popular web site for boats with diesel engines. I have found the fuel burns accurate or on the high side there.
Since we have a lot of unused hp, we can quite happily tow along our 20' Classic Potter built Seacraft center console for diving, exploring and fishing, and if the sailing bug strikes we can drop our 10' sailing dink in off the davit on the sunroof and sail around the anchorage to our hearts content. While many of our land bound friends think we are 'roughing it', our sailing friends call us lazy and spoiled, so we must be doing something right!
Old 18-01-2011, 12:53   #38

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post

Great quote! - Mind if I use this one in the future.

We use about 3 gph at 3 Knots and just over 2 at 7.5 knots on a Defever 41. We made the move from sail to power a year ago. - my wife loves the change.
Old 21-01-2011, 17:44   #39

Boat: 1971 seaway 39' OHNO
just did 200 mile round trip on giww corpus christi to port manfield , we have a 39' custom 40 yrs old with a single 871 detroit (lots of motor)top speed round 12 knots cruises bout seven at 1200 rpm, point is going south tail wind passed 3 sailboats motoring up and we only used bout 50 gal fuel.coming back in calm but in a hurry and increased speed to bout 9 knots used over 100 gals and passed 2 sails all motoring.

Tags
fuel, motor, motoryacht, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: