Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 14:05   #916

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Galaxy Girl, I'm guilty of not reading all the replies to your post but want ad my nickels worth....seeing "the" boat that you want is like first falling in love, you have to fight getting emotional over a boat or you will find trouble! Enjoy one of the best days you will have on your "new" boat. Oh and some say the other best day is when you get rid of it!! Wishin you the best ,,,,/),,,,
woodymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:16   #917

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

most cruisers have had lot's of boats...all special at the time but the next one more practical ...because most of us keep changing...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 16:32   #918

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
Galaxy Girl, I'm guilty of not reading all the replies to your post but want ad my nickels worth....seeing "the" boat that you want is like first falling in love, you have to fight getting emotional over a boat or you will find trouble! Enjoy one of the best days you will have on your "new" boat. Oh and some say the other best day is when you get rid of it!! Wishin you the best ,,,,/),,,,
Well, I must say that you hit that nail on the head. I have been using the words re-sale value more times than I can count in the past 3 weeks.

I think that your words of being careful when falling in love with a boat are very good advice. Funny thing is that I really don't "love" the boat that I am about to buy. I have loved a couple others that I wasn't able to buy (like that Dixon, but that's another story) but I really don't "love" this boat. I do "like" the boat. I like that it has a reputable manufacturer. Like that it is well-built. Like that it has a strong sales history. Like that it suits our needs, for now, and like that we will be comfortable. But I don't love it. And that is why this particular boat, that I don't "love" is probably the best choice.

Thanks for the well wishes
Old 18-01-2014, 16:35   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
most cruisers have had lot's of boats...all special at the time but the next one more practical ...because most of us keep changing...
That's just why I decided to wait on a passagemaker and get something more practical for now. Your right, we do change
Old 18-01-2014, 17:33   #920

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr

Well said. I know you will enjoy, lucky kids!
woodymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:32   #921

Boat: too many

I just have to ask....

>100,000 lbs?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:42   #922

Dear Galixie girl- I lived in the virgins for over 20+ years and owned and operated both sail and power yachts for charter. Once you have seen the islands for a few months, visited the very beautiful anchorages, they will become pretty boring!!! Once you have seen 1 palm tree they will all look alike. Dealing with the locals of all the Antilles is difficult to say the least! Please take your family to the BVI or St Thomas to test the water. Private schools are expensive and I know from exp. that the local schools would not be to your liking. Save yourself the time and effort of searching for a boat until you find out what you are getting into! PLEASE!! None of the islands will look favorably on having another "mainlander", particularly a yachtie, living in their midst and please believe me, trying to raise children on the islands will be a bad experience for both you and your 5 children. I have known so many who dream of the "island life" only to return to their various countries greatly disappointed. --- Capt Ray
captain ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:58   #923

Boat: too many

Capt Ray, I have to say, that isn't going to brighten her day.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 20:55   #924

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

G G Don't listen to folks that tell ya you can't raise kids aboard !! we raised 4 that way and all are good solid educated citizens!! And with your style of thinking Im sure you will do a fine job of raiseing your children anywhere you end up !! Our kids have friends all over the Pacific and the Caribe! Your gonna do fine! just keep your mind engaged when ya pick out your boat !! Have fun and we hope to see ya out there someday !!
Old 18-01-2014, 21:00   #925

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Capt Ray, I have to say, that isn't going to brighten her day.
Yeah Capt. Ray, you went and did it now.

Old 18-01-2014, 21:21   #926
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
64' Burger

Here is a very nice vessel that you might consider. It's a quality built and maintained Burger that likely can be purchased at a good price, and likely will maintain her value if properly maintained.....new builds are not getting any cheaper.

Bayport Yachts (Chester, MD)&

I would suggest you call and ask for Tom Knoedler ,

...a very thoughtful and knowledgeable broker that I almost bought a liveaboard vessel from a few weeks ago, until my Thai wife nixed the deal.

Brian

PS:, BTW she is a 3 strm vessel, but you might get creative with 'soft divisions' of that aft deck for some portions of your greater strm desires.
Old 19-01-2014, 13:02   #927

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain ray View Post
Dear Galixie girl- I lived in the virgins for over 20+ years and owned and operated both sail and power yachts for charter. Once you have seen the islands for a few months, visited the very beautiful anchorages, they will become pretty boring!!! Once you have seen 1 palm tree they will all look alike. Dealing with the locals of all the Antilles is difficult to say the least! Please take your family to the BVI or St Thomas to test the water. Private schools are expensive and I know from exp. that the local schools would not be to your liking. Save yourself the time and effort of searching for a boat until you find out what you are getting into! PLEASE!! None of the islands will look favorably on having another "mainlander", particularly a yachtie, living in their midst and please believe me, trying to raise children on the islands will be a bad experience for both you and your 5 children. I have known so many who dream of the "island life" only to return to their various countries greatly disappointed. --- Capt Ray
Sounds fine and dandy, but whatever gave you the idea that I dream of "island life" or that I intend to raise my kids on the islands???
Furthermore, I would think that you would know that every person has their own view of what is enjoyable and what is a good living situation as every person is unique.
Nonetheless, I appreciate your perspective. Interesting to hear different opinions and angles.
Old 19-01-2014, 13:06   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
G G Don't listen to folks that tell ya you can't raise kids aboard !! we raised 4 that way and all are good solid educated citizens!! And with your style of thinking Im sure you will do a fine job of raiseing your children anywhere you end up !! Our kids have friends all over the Pacific and the Caribe! Your gonna do fine! just keep your mind engaged when ya pick out your boat !! Have fun and we hope to see ya out there someday !!
Thanks!!! Don't worry, I'm waaaayyyyy past the point of discouraging comments. Can't wait to meet you guys.
Old 19-01-2014, 13:19   #929

Re: 64' Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Here is a very nice vessel that you might consider. It's a quality built and maintained Burger that likely can be purchased at a good price, and likely will maintain her value if properly maintained.....new builds are not getting any cheaper.

Bayport Yachts (Chester, MD)&

I would suggest you call and ask for Tom Knoedler ,

...a very thoughtful and knowledgeable broker that I almost bought a liveaboard vessel from a few weeks ago, until my Thai wife nixed the deal.

Brian

PS:, BTW she is a 3 strm vessel, but you might get creative with 'soft divisions' of that aft deck for some portions of your greater strm desires.
Brian,
Thanks for sending this boat. The interior seems to be in very nice condition, but I believe this boat is called a "flushdeck", (correct me if I'm wrong). It has no flybridge which is a real bummer. Also, 3 staterooms would be very tough. Your right I could probably work with it, but anything that I would consider at this point would have to be better than the boat that I already have in mind. But, I haven't purchased yet, so I'm still wide open. If you come across anything else that you think might be a good fit, please do send it my way
Old 23-01-2014, 10:13   #930

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Once you shed most of the dirt stuff, you probable will not want to move back to the dirt, and if you do will not need/want the space and dirt stuff again. You get use to living in the smaller square foot space. If we move back on to the dirt we will rent a small one or two bedroom.

Also you will probable want to stay mobile with no fix ties to an area, so you can move around easily and cheaply if you want to. We have change moorage 5 times over 18 year, and we are thinking about moving back on to Lake Union again as Everett is so darn boring, and the water is fresh. We are going to buy a motor home as land cruise use during the winter, as we are alread ue to living in a smal space and sort of camping it.

The first winter is usually the make of break for most live a boards. However, most that do not make it either the boat or they where not prepared. If you make it though the first winter, the likely hood you will be a live a board for 3 to 5 years. Not may are as crazy as we are to be a live aboard for 16+ years. But once you are labeled as crazy and embrace being crazy, its good from there.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle