Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 16:35   #511

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

A 34 foot cat would be tight for a family of 7 but a cat at 44-50 would have plenty of room. Just saying.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 17:48   #512

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Thumbs up Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
The funny thing is, someone posted a thread. I have no idea how to find the link, but anyhow, they asked something like, "how long did it take you to buy your boat". Most of the responses were a year or longer and up to 3 years.
I have been searching for about a year, but the first 6 months don't really count, because I was sorting through so many ideas trying to figure out what I needed.
So, how is 6 months of searching a long time?
This is probably the link: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-104013.html so looks like you are taking less time in your search than most.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 17:51   #513

Boat: Seaward 22

GG,

I have no doubt you are committed to buying a boat. I wonder how you will handle the adversity you will encounter in ownership of the huge vessel you seek.

The closest analogy I can come up with is the old Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit."

ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 17:54   #514
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
The funny thing is, someone posted a thread. I have no idea how to find the link, but anyhow, they asked something like, "how long did it take you to buy your boat". Most of the responses were a year or longer and up to 3 years.
I have been searching for about a year, but the first 6 months don't really count, because I was sorting through so many ideas trying to figure out what I needed.
So, how is 6 months of searching a long time?
Bene 321.... 2 weeks
Hunter 37... 3 weeks
Bene331... 5 days
In fact most of the 14 took less than 6 weeks...
I'm an impulse buyer...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 18:17   #515

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
GG,

I have no doubt you are committed to buying a boat. I wonder how you will handle the adversity you will encounter in ownership of the huge vessel you seek.

The closest analogy I can come up with is the old Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit."

As for the decision-making process, I think you need to fall in love with the boat you get, otherwise you'll never make it past all the trouble and nonsense it'll heap on you. Many people know beforehand what they're looking for (or seem to).
Old 06-06-2013, 18:47   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post

As for the decision-making process, I think you need to fall in love with the boat you get, otherwise you'll never make it past all the trouble and nonsense it'll heap on you. Many people know beforehand what they're looking for (or seem to).

I think that is definitely true. I fell in love with my boat-but not at first sight. I was a bit hesitant about the boat because I was giving up my job-but once I did-I loved it! A boat takes a bit of time (like a house) to become yours but I liked the boat-the setup and the low hours on the engine and gen-set... but once living on and sailing it is some bad weather, I fell in love with it for being great boat.
You know the set up you want as well as the price- now you just have to find "it". Boats are like husbands :devil"-sometimes you get one with the most important characteristics you want-but you can't find one with all. And some of the things drive you crazy while others turn out better than what you thought you wanted. You take it as it is and learn to dance with it.

It took us some looking but once the house sold we happened to find the perfect boat for us. I hope you are as lucky to find a boat for you. Best of luck in your search!

Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 19:47   #517

Boat: Leopard 48 or 58????
pirate Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Galaxy Girl, I was in much the same boat as you are in now, but then I went and started looking at boats. first at the local marinas, then boat shows and finally a few weeks in the med on several different cats. I took my 4 daughters along with me, and actually spending time on different boats has been a big help. now I just have to choose from the three boats we all like and pull the trigger. the biggest surprise to me was that I discovered we did not need a super large boat, and that helped a lot price wise. Biggest thing I learned is that you need to try the boats out and see what works best for you and your kids. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-06-2013, 22:22   #518

Boat: too many

GG,

Here is one for you. This would be the largest that you could pilot without a captain after a thorough check out. Berths for 6, 8 years old, and due to economy of use, the original owners put 2325 hours on her Cat engines. Since you have been researching engines you know Caterpillar is top shelf. The biggest plus is the modern engines combined with efficient hull design means an easy 3000 nm range on 1300 gallon tankage. There, finally found one that does it all for you, and you can captain. I think you would prefer modern engines and systems, makes those first years of cruising not be crushing on your budget as 25 year old systems, like two stroke Detroits. The only drawback that you might have is it doesn't have that cutesy trawler look, but efficient hulls, light weight for her size, and almost new should trump the need for a certain look. Also no need for failure prone stabilizers and gives a nicer ride, not to mention it doesn't roll in anchorages as a mono would.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=53570&url=

Owner willing to do a home swap for health reasons need to stop cruising....
http://goswap.org/index.php?Itemid=5...cmsrealty=user

The yard in Chile that built the boat is world famous as the builders of Chris White's Atlantic series.
http://www.alwoplast.cl/PastHilights...ion=1Past.php#
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 23:00   #519

Boat was probably $1.5 mil new 8 years ago, but due to medical issues they have a real need for real estate. They are looking for anything in NYC, or oceanfront/access in Florida or California.
Old 07-06-2013, 21:10   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

Here is one for you. This would be the largest that you could pilot without a captain after a thorough check out. Berths for 6, 8 years old, and due to economy of use, the original owners put 2325 hours on her Cat engines. Since you have been researching engines you know Caterpillar is top shelf. The biggest plus is the modern engines combined with efficient hull design means an easy 3000 nm range on 1300 gallon tankage. There, finally found one that does it all for you, and you can captain. I think you would prefer modern engines and systems, makes those first years of cruising not be crushing on your budget as 25 year old systems, like two stroke Detroits. The only drawback that you might have is it doesn't have that cutesy trawler look, but efficient hulls, light weight for her size, and almost new should trump the need for a certain look. Also no need for failure prone stabilizers and gives a nicer ride, not to mention it doesn't roll in anchorages as a mono would.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=53570&url=

Owner willing to do a home swap for health reasons need to stop cruising....
50' Power Catamaran - Miami, Florida - Yachts & Boats for trade

The yard in Chile that built the boat is world famous as the builders of Chris White's Atlantic series.
Alwoplast S.A.
I actually had been looking at that one a few times. I would have to see it in person, because the photos don't paint a picture. Maybe I will check it out. I do like the pilothouse.
Old 07-06-2013, 21:38   #521

Quote:
I actually had been looking at that one a few times. I would have to see it in person, because the photos don't paint a picture. Maybe I will check it out. I do like the pilothouse.
I figure even though the asking price is a little north of your budget, in just 2 years of usage with no Captain's wages, 3 times the fuel efficiency, and all systems being almost new, it would be a wash over a older, heavier vessel that was $200K less at time of purchase. And you retain the option of crossing an ocean.
Old 05-07-2013, 22:19   #522

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have lived aboard and run boats for over 50 years and I am still learning. Many private owners (especially these days) will accept an extended charter at a reasonable price. Talk to a family who has lived aboard, charter a boat for a few months and if you haven't thrown all the kids overboard (or been thrown overboard yourself) you can go from there. Find a good captain to instruct you how to dock a boat.
Good luck. It can be quite an adventure. Five kids? Yikes! Find a job in Bora Bora.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
I have lived aboard and run boats for over 50 years and I am still learning. Many private owners (especially these days) will accept an extended charter at a reasonable price. Talk to a family who has lived aboard, charter a boat for a few months and if you haven't thrown all the kids overboard (or been thrown overboard yourself) you can go from there. Find a good captain to instruct you how to dock a boat.
Good luck. It can be quite an adventure. Five kids? Yikes! Find a job in Bora Bora.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21   #524

Boat: Shannon 28

When the alarm went off at 8am this morning my first thought was "If Galaxy Girl were here now, I would strangle her!"

I stumbled on this thread at about midnight last night and I got so hooked on it that I stayed online until almost 5am to read every single one of the 520 some posts. I didn't get to sleep until 5:30am and I am paying the price today.

All that said, I must tell you that this has been a fascinating journey. By the end, I felt an almost personal relationship with not only Galaxy Girl but also with several of the more prolific posters; especially Deck Officer whose wise advice and counsel in his many posts were not only interesting but valuable in their own right.

My only disappointment was that having reached the final post, there was no boat yet. I was totally vested in the outcome and felt so let down that the saga has yet to reach its final chapter.

Galaxy Girl, I well recall my time spent back in the late 1970s researching the "perfect boat" for me. Although it was a long way from the sixty footers you've been looking at, the time spent was well rewarded when I finally found it.

I had never owned a boat before and my sailing experience was anything but extensive. My new wife had been aboard a sailboat (a very small one at that) only three times in her entire life. We took delivery in Rhode Island in May 1980 and embarked on a three year honeymoon cruise from the East Coast, up the Hudson River, across the Erie Canal and into and around the Great Lakes. We learned something new every single day whether we sailed or just stayed docked somewhere. By the time we went back to work in the fall of 1982, we had put in more time on our boat than most sailors do in a lifetime of weekend sailing and had developed our skills to a level that gave us the confidence that we could deal with most any situation we might encounter.

I know nothing about driving a sixty foot boat and even less about how to maintain such a beast but my instinct says you should go for it. You certainly seem bright enough and realistic enough to figure it out. And if, for some reason, it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, you can always sell the damn thing and go find another dream to chase. Chasing dreams is what life should be about.

I offer you this thought from Albert Einstein:
“I am thankful to all those who said no to me. It’s because of them that I did it myself.”

Best of luck,
Jim
Mary Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42   #525

Jim,

Sorry for your lost sleep. This forum has some of the best dreamers of any forum. I'm still nudging GG to go with a smaller powerboat that she can run without a licensed captain and use it like most boaters, weekends, and week long cruises to gain experience but to also see if cruising is a fit for her and the family. A capable and popular boat like the PDQ would work and after a couple of years if she still wants to live aboard and cruise full time, it would hold its value for the resale and purchase of a larger boat.

Tags
paracelle