Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28   #496

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Planet Yacht - 66' 1980 Sea Ranger Trawler
This is a British made trawler and said to be of higher quality

1986 Defever Pilothouse Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Defever boats are all over the place for build quality because these were built in many different countries. Since this is listed on yachtworld, you probably have already noted this trawler.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:41   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Planet Yacht - 66' 1980 Sea Ranger Trawler
This is a British made trawler and said to be of higher quality

1986 Defever Pilothouse Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Defever boats are all over the place for build quality because these were built in many different countries. Since this is listed on yachtworld, you probably have already noted this trawler.
I like those sea rangers. This one has that 3rd floor that I love.

1985 C & L Stabilized Sea Ranger Long Range Cruiser Power Boat
Old 04-06-2013, 20:03   #498

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

Nice comfortable vessel. Biggest issue is the fuel use of those 2 X 8V92 Detroit motors. Fuel usage would however make it highly negotiable. Work out your likely fuel use over two years at least as a deduction to negotiate with. A large vessel with lots of systems to maintain.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 20:18   #499
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:

I would be really interested in the TOTAL engine hours and generator hours. The 12KW genny with the covers off may be an indication of work needed. All the 2003 electronics probably need a wee bit of upgrade too.

But it looks nice. It's HUGH!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 20:30   #500

They are listed as 2 x 8V71T engines, so not the 92 series.
A bit lower on HP, a touch lower on fuel usage.
Still, a filthy old driptroit diesel. I know they can be bullet proof, but.....
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 20:44   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Nice comfortable vessel. Biggest issue is the fuel use of those 2 X 8V92 Detroit motors. Fuel usage would however make it highly negotiable. Work out your likely fuel use over two years at least as a deduction to negotiate with. A large vessel with lots of systems to maintain.

Cheers
What do you think would be a good deal on that boat? Just curious.
Old 04-06-2013, 21:05   #502

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I really don't know the market well enough to make an informed comment (looking at sailing cats). In Australia the 2nd hand value of large fuel using vessels can generally be discounted as in many suitations this as much as the the high maintainance required such vessels is often the reason for the sale.

Sailorchicks comment related to potential for future maint costs is also relevant.

You need to have enough money set aside for future maint as well as fuel so that will demand an income stream after purchase.

There was a smaller around 50 ft cat suggested some time back. Certainly less room and comfort and also less fuel burn and maint. It all depends on your personal budget and being not just motors but potentially electrics. I would be finding an experienced person for survey. $100,00 does not go far on a vessel that size. I would be thinking at least that depending on a good survey. Properly surveying a vessel of that size would need to re comprehensive and will be money well spent.

Was a beautiful 110 ft timber charter vessel sold recently here for something under $1 mill. Talking with former owners it need over 1mill in upgrades.

In your case it is a 1985 built vessel. Definitely not new.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 21:13   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Know that you will need, oh at least $75k maybe many times that to bring it up to par, Maybe offer $380K contingent on survey and sea trial and negotiate to $400 ish, Higher if EVERYTHING works. Plus your looking at $10k just to fill the diesel tank. San Diego is a LONG way from the north east.

Its best to ignore the shiny bits and talk more about the age of everything electrical, electronic, plumbing, HVAC wise. For that's where your going to spend your money later.

In my eye the engine room looks a little tired. But fresh paint on the engines, not always a good sign
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 21:42   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
But fresh paint on the engines, not always a good sign
The good old Dulux rebuild.
I notice both engines have had a MOH, but the hours on each engine are different. If I had a matched pair I would have overhauled them as a pair.

What worries me being a mechanic is what has been done when sellers claim a rebuild or reco has been done. To the average punter a few injectors, a head or 2 and a huge $bill makes it a rebuild.

I would want to know exactly what was done to the engines, is the cost justified or was it done by the golden spanner? Was it a MOH as stated or a patch up sufficient to sell?

Mind ya, the engines are just a small part of the big picture, but I am going to wager that it will cost you 10 times what my cost would be to remove/repair/ reco. I just hate seeing people get ripped off when dealing with mechanical.
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 21:58   #505

Boat: too many

A lot of boat for the money, much cheaper than T-bone steaks. $445K for 114,000 pounds of boat, $3.90 per pound. I love playing with numbers. I did like the (2) 3 Kw inverters, too bad the housebank of batteries couldn't run 6 Kw for long before a diesel gen-set would need to take over.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:45   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
The good old Dulux rebuild.
I notice both engines have had a MOH, but the hours on each engine are different. If I had a matched pair I would have overhauled them as a pair.

What worries me being a mechanic is what has been done when sellers claim a rebuild or reco has been done. To the average punter a few injectors, a head or 2 and a huge $bill makes it a rebuild.

I would want to know exactly what was done to the engines, is the cost justified or was it done by the golden spanner? Was it a MOH as stated or a patch up sufficient to sell?

Mind ya, the engines are just a small part of the big picture, but I am going to wager that it will cost you 10 times what my cost would be to remove/repair/ reco. I just hate seeing people get ripped off when dealing with mechanical.
Good Points. I have seen what you are talking about with boats, over charging for work. Would a person be more likely to get an honest rebuild if dealing with a commercial yard dealing with mostly fishing boats? Or, someone who rebuilds truck engines? I thought these engines were 10,000 hour engines if the injectors were sized like what is used in a truck application. On a trawler I thought the injectors would be sized for a long engine life, not like these boats that have a planing hull and the engines blowup at 800 hours. I saw a 8V71T DETROIT DIESEL ENGINE U.S. GOV. SURPLIUS MILITARY REBUILD for $7100, and a regular rebuild on ebay for twice that.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16   #507

Boats are like everything but probably worse!! If you only pay 20% of what it cost originally, you do not get a new boat, you get an old, tired boat. This boat probably listed for more then $2M new, before various additional costly equipment. I know that $400K is a bunch of money but it is not $2.5M. You get what you pay for!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18   #508

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
I've read most of your responses and a lot of the advice given here ... I don't think you're ready to pull the plug ... too many issues and a lack of decision-making. I must admit that, as a retired military officer and police officer, I have never waffled as much as you have, even though I've been in life-or-death situations. I beginning to think that you are just wasting your time .... JMHO.

BELIEVE HER WHEN SHE SHARES SEA STORIES!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
I've read most of your responses and a lot of the advice given here ... I don't think you're ready to pull the plug ... too many issues and a lack of decision-making. I must admit that, as a retired military officer and police officer, I have never waffled as much as you have, even though I've been in life-or-death situations. I beginning to think that you are just wasting your time .... JMHO.
You want her to waffle some more? If she takes as long to buy the boat after she sells the house as she has up to the present time, then I would agree with you. Signing on the dotted line for the boat purchase means putting much of her personal monetary value at risk so asking questions and taking her time seems prudent to me.
Old 06-06-2013, 16:25   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
You want her to waffle some more? If she takes as long to buy the boat after she sells the house as she has up to the present time, then I would agree with you. Signing on the dotted line for the boat purchase means putting much of her personal monetary value at risk so asking questions and taking her time seems prudent to me.
The funny thing is, someone posted a thread. I have no idea how to find the link, but anyhow, they asked something like, "how long did it take you to buy your boat". Most of the responses were a year or longer and up to 3 years.
I have been searching for about a year, but the first 6 months don't really count, because I was sorting through so many ideas trying to figure out what I needed.
So, how is 6 months of searching a long time?

Tags
paracelle