Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 17:59   #376

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

My experince with large offshore motor boats is like Capt Phils. Ive deliverd boats with hyd stablizers, and fished and deliverd large fishing boats ! And when the hyd system worked they were superior to Flopper Stoppers. But the problem I found was keeping them working properly!! Had to stop on every delivery I made with those systems!! Give me a set of well made and rigged flopper stopers anyday !! Work well at sea and well at anchor, no real moveing parts and no power loss from the system thats all rigging and no motors !! just my 2 cents and money saving style LOL
Old 18-02-2013, 21:00   #377

Boat: too many

Hey Bob,

What do you think of this older classic completely rebuilt in 2000? GG wants room for the family more than economical operation and with it being a fiberglass boat you get 82' for the same displacement as 50~60' steel.

Plus it is located in Virginia Beach, VA. GG, if your still around, this one is closer.

1977 Hatteras F/B Motor Yacht - Boats.com
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:14   #378

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nice Hatt! if she can afford the fuel with those 12s in there ! It's got fuel enough for the Carribe and the coasts , and Im sure she would fit her needs. I don't know what she's looking at now , but this one would be worth a look ! What ya think, she for real??
Old 18-02-2013, 21:35   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Agreed, very nice. If I were GG the 77 hatteras would really be worth a look. If the engines are fine and all, its going to be far easier to live with then the 220V /50 hz of the other boat. I like the lines too. Plus everything looks clean if the photo's are current... OK electronics, a large galley and space for everyone.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:48   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Nice Hatt! if she can afford the fuel with those 12s in there ! It's got fuel enough for the Carribe and the coasts , and Im sure she would fit her needs. I don't know what she's looking at now , but this one would be worth a look ! What ya think, she for real??
Oh yeah, she is for real. The 12V71's are a bit thirsty if your pushing them, but at trawler speeds her beam to length ratio would make consumption tolerable. You just don't see many fully reconditioned old Hatts just because of their resale value. That is why I think it is a good deal for GG as a cash customer, because she would be competing with folks that need to finance and no matter how nice and rebuilt, a bank will only loan X amount, and that is why you get such a nicely rebuilt boat for such a bargain. It is a cash buyers market for restored old Hatts.
Old 18-02-2013, 21:51   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Agreed, very nice. If I were GG the 77 hatteras would really be worth a look. If the engines are fine and all, its going to be far easier to live with then the 220V /50 hz of the other boat. I like the lines too. Plus everything looks clean if the photo's are current... OK electronics, a large galley and space for everyone.
I'm a fan of old style thick glass vs steel. Beside being much lighter, I have just too many hours using a needle gun busting rust on steel hulls.
Old 18-02-2013, 22:08   #382

Good to see enough CO2 in the engine room to insure ending an engine room fire, unlike a certain cruise ship that was in the news. Good friends of my parents have had 2 Hatts and they are a good boat. Other than having to price older ones to allow bank financing, I've never understood their soft market. During the upgrade/refit in 2000, this one got stabalizers and new electronics, so it is understandable they kept her for another 12 years.

Old 18-02-2013, 22:26   #383

Boat: 45ft Ketch

82ft! Doh. It would be like living on shore. You would need a maid, valet & ride-on vacuum cleaner.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 22:29   #384

GG said she wanted staterooms for all of her kids and mother.
Old 18-02-2013, 22:34   #385

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I forgot. She's already got the maid and a number of valets.
Sure is a nice ship, $ per cubic ft it's gotta be a bargain.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 00:20   #386

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Pics of the ones from above website

I got to say, though... I don't like the rods. We always used chain. They need do go deeper, too, unless you are in very shallow water. They are more effective down about 20+ feet. And longer outriggers would make them more effective, as well.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:46   #387

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Oh yeah, she is for real. The 12V71's are a bit thirsty if your pushing them, but at trawler speeds her beam to length ratio would make consumption tolerable. You just don't see many fully reconditioned old Hatts just because of their resale value. That is why I think it is a good deal for GG as a cash customer, because she would be competing with folks that need to finance and no matter how nice and rebuilt, a bank will only loan X amount, and that is why you get such a nicely rebuilt boat for such a bargain. It is a cash buyers market for restored old Hatts.
Probably about 50 gallons per hour at cruising speed. Depending on how the engines are setup, about 750 horsepower per engine. This has to be a planning hull rather than displacement, so this is not a boat for crossing oceans. Also, this boat was extended another 12 feet. A marine architect would want to be consulted. If the length were added in the middle, probably doable, but as built could be different than design. I would be very careful buying this boat. I think she should look at something else, too much risk.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:01   #388

A 12V71 back in the days when some truckers used them were good for about 400 HP. In stationary use for a gen set about 300 HP. In marine use if intercooled, maybe 500 HP. My guess is the hull is semi displacement and with one engine at 1200 rpm might coax out 7 kt at 3~4 gph, so west coast to Hawaii doable.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:34   #389

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I agree with deckofficer and bobconnie... she's worth a look if only because she is berthed closer to home than the other option GG is considering. Photos look clean, particularly the engine room and seems roomy (should be at 80+feet!). I wouldn't be too worried about fuel consumption which will be high with 12v71's but reliability is good with Detroits in my experience. My guess is she is going to be tied up to the dock much of the time anyway and the space aboard fits her needs. Also avoids the hassle of a long delivery, wear and tear on the vessel, crewing and other costs. She could hire a skippper locally to bring the boat home for her with her aboard a little easier than from offshore. If it looks and smells good, time for a survey, both marine and mechanical... Just my opinion... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:19   #390

Because the displacement per cylinder is rather small at 71 cubic inches, combined with 12 cylinders firing every stroke (2 cycle), they are an engine with low vibration which is cherished on a cruising yacht. The drawback is fuel consumption and emissions because there is only so much a positive displacement blower can do on cleaning out the cylinder before the next air charge is compressed. I hope GG takes the time to view it in person.

Tags
paracelle