Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 20:41   #121

Boat: too many
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

GG,

If you like to think outside the box (I do), even though initial cost is a bit high, operating costs would be much smaller. 2007 Stuart Catamarans Multihull - Boats.com

At 64' and a displacement of just 15,000 lbs, a radical difference to the Nordhavn at 43' and 60,000 lbs. I don't believe I know of any power vessel with both the speed and fuel efficiency of this boat. 5 gallons per hour @ 15 kt. Also it can be beached. You have a master stateroom, guest stateroom, crew stateroom, and an office that can be converted to two berths. I think that will handle your family. Notice the dinghy has a Torqeedo electric outboard, the kids would love that.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 21:27   #122

Finally found one large enough for your family and some guests. While the old Detroit Diesel powered Hats will burn 2 gallons per nm (except their LRC line), this one turns that equation around to 2.5 nm per gallon burn. It is set up as a cruising yacht/ dive boat with 12 tanks, regulators and compressor for refilling the dive tanks. Turn all your kids into little scuba divers.
1996 Dufour Power Cat - Boats.com
Old 20-01-2013, 22:42   #123

If you can deal with a bit earthy, old, but still a cat, at 1/2 your budget, check this one out. 1974 Tolo - 62 Custom Power Catamaran - - Boats.com

Old 20-01-2013, 22:59   #124

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
If you can deal with a bit earthy, old, but still a cat, at 1/2 your budget, check this one out. 1974 Tolo - 62 Custom Power Catamaran - - Boats.com
LOL
Quote:
This catamaran is powered by two 460 hp turbo diesel engines to get us where we want to be with amazing fuel consumption.
Compared to an air craft carrier?

I have posted this one before
This cat has two Gardner 8LXB's (200hp x 2) and cruises at 12 knots.

http://www.sherkhan.com.au/

Sea state dictates speed
Sea state usually says 10 knots.
Old 21-01-2013, 02:42   #125

Boat: Hunter 340

Galaxy...there are knowledgable people out there who can assist you with your choice. They charge a flat fee, present you with several choices and then it's up to you to make the final decision. They have no vested interest in any choice you may make unlike a broker.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 05:06   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
It is winter, good time to chatter a boat in the warm water. I suggest you do that, get a captained 65' for a couple of weeks, take the kids and mom. Then you will jump from Internet help to real experience. I so support you living on a boat and my experience (limited) with kids cruising is favorable. After the charter you can base your decision on the boat you chartered; bigger, smaller, faster or slower, etc. With no real experience the chances of buyer's remorse is quite high.
Good advice. I have my boat because the previous owner found out after he had the boat shipped across the country and went out with his wife and kids and found that they get quite seasick. His pain was my gain. You might want to check out whether you or your kids will still be having "fun" when things get a little rough when underway. My gal likes to vacation on Catamarans but, I would never own one. From my experience they are great space wise at anchor. But, the pounding and vibration they go through when even in moderate seas on many tacks just makes me cringe. Do some charters in all kinds of weather and conditions and see if you are still in love with the boat type.
Old 21-01-2013, 05:51   #127

Boat: a sailing boat

I would be very careful re opinions on what makes kids socialize, or not.

I think people are a very varied species. While some may benefit from living eight in the same room, others may benefit from having a world to their own. One can only tell things apart when they watch their kids (rather than just manage them), and when the watching eye respects individuality.

Another factor I think may count is that the physical space is in no relationship to emotional closeness. A close-knit family relationship can be had in both abundant and tight spaces. Alas, it is easier to judge things when plenty of living space is available - as we can rule out mistaking forced physical closeness being mixed up with original emotional closeness resulting from actual needs of the inhabitants/members.

I bet it all sounds a bit philosophical (mostly due to my poor English), but when you think of it, it is not.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:31   #128
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'm not cranky, Its more being bored outta my skull. Halfway through each of my 7 months off. I begin to pine for a diesel engine to tear down. At least at home I could be working on my watermaker. Make sure you have plenty to do while your out there. I'll take fabrication over sun and sand any day. Sorry I'm such an ass, I honestly get it from all the internet folks here. 88% of CF is pretty boring stuff, net people talking to other net people. Its people who like the net. Most newbies have crazy goals that are down right funny. Its likely you will rise above the fray and boat happily for years. Boating is all about money, You have cash, so your going boating. End of story. Good luck and have fun.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 07:16   #129

Quote:
Did you watch Alya's walk through of her family's boat? Also catch her latest video on the Panama Canal transit. A lot of maturity gained cruising from age 12 to 16. She is considering CMA.

As to the roadster, it is my "Swiss Army Knife" of hot rods. Good street manners with a mild idle, corners better than a Corvette, mid 9 second 1/4 mile, and gets better than 25 mpg on the highway. The naysayers said you couldn't have all that in one car. That is it in my avatar, weighs 1790 lbs.
YES!!! I did watch those videos. I thought they were fantastic and I learned a few things too . I wish I had known about this family when they were cruising NE. I would have loved for my kids to have met her in person. I would also have loved to chat with them about life about and schooling and such. How amazing!!! Thanks again for sharing that blog. I really did go to bed last night even more inspired. Ayla is an amazing young lady and I am excited for my kids, especially my youngest, who will be a full-time cruiser by the time he reaches 8 to have these same experiences. I am going to show my kids the blog today. Can't help but to want to jump right in today

Love chatting with folks like you and seeing folks like Ayla's family. It is so inspiring for me. As soon as I pull the trigger and purchase our boat I am going to have my kids do a blog also. They will love it.

Is your profile pic the roadster that you designed?
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 07:22   #130

Quote:
Finally found one large enough for your family and some guests. While the old Detroit Diesel powered Hats will burn 2 gallons per nm (except their LRC line), this one turns that equation around to 2.5 nm per gallon burn. It is set up as a cruising yacht/ dive boat with 12 tanks, regulators and compressor for refilling the dive tanks. Turn all your kids into little scuba divers.
1996 Dufour Power Cat - Boats.com
OMG!!! This one is very nice, but the budget...oh no.

It's 82'...the nasayers would really love that...LOL

Boy, we would have tons of space though...hmmm
Old 21-01-2013, 07:32   #131

Quote:

This one is also very interesting. The price is great. Love the gally set up with the barstools, reminds me of my kitchen and the kids can all sit around. Don't like the dinettes, would prefer a nice couch, but I'm sure that could easily be changed.

Could this cross Atlantic or is it more of a coastal boat?
Old 21-01-2013, 07:40   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
LOL

Compared to an air craft carrier?

I have posted this one before
This cat has two Gardner 8LXB's (200hp x 2) and cruises at 12 knots.

Sher Khan

Sea state dictates speed
Sea state usually says 10 knots.
This one makes me speachless. But, like a gazzilion dollars...LOL
I couldn't even find the price just for curiosity sake.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:49   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Good advice. I have my boat because the previous owner found out after he had the boat shipped across the country and went out with his wife and kids and found that they get quite seasick. His pain was my gain. You might want to check out whether you or your kids will still be having "fun" when things get a little rough when underway. My gal likes to vacation on Catamarans but, I would never own one. From my experience they are great space wise at anchor. But, the pounding and vibration they go through when even in moderate seas on many tacks just makes me cringe. Do some charters in all kinds of weather and conditions and see if you are still in love with the boat type.
Capt. Mike,
I think that is very wise advice. Although, it is not the catamaran that I am in love with, it is the trawler. Some folks here have felt that I should also consider cats, hence all the various cat suggestions that have popped up. Since I am have not purchased anything yet, I am still very open to all possibilities, but my heart does lie with the Trawlers at this moment.
I do think that your right though about testing out a boat. My kids have been on boats plenty, but never actually lived or slept on one. I havn't seen any sea sickness yet. I'm sure that they would love the excitement of some rough sea now and again (in a safe and fun way).
Old 21-01-2013, 08:01   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would be very careful re opinions on what makes kids socialize, or not.

I think people are a very varied species. While some may benefit from living eight in the same room, others may benefit from having a world to their own. One can only tell things apart when they watch their kids (rather than just manage them), and when the watching eye respects individuality.

Another factor I think may count is that the physical space is in no relationship to emotional closeness. A close-knit family relationship can be had in both abundant and tight spaces. Alas, it is easier to judge things when plenty of living space is available - as we can rule out mistaking forced physical closeness being mixed up with original emotional closeness resulting from actual needs of the inhabitants/members.

I bet it all sounds a bit philosophical (mostly due to my poor English), but when you think of it, it is not.

Cheers,
b.
I think that I kinda get the jist of what your saying. My kids have actually lived in a few different homes and we have actually lived in a couple very tight temporary living situations during renovations and my kids are very good about whatever. Our home now is very large, with tons of space and I always laugh because 4 of them still curl up together on the coach almost every day.
My oldest son is a social butterfly and I do not believe that he would do well as a full time cruiser, that is why I am waiting until he finishes HS to take off full time. The others will love it. In fact, they ask me every few weeks when are we getting the boat. They can't wait. The are extremely adventurous. I am very lucky.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:31   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
YES!!! I did watch those videos. I thought they were fantastic and I learned a few things too . I wish I had known about this family when they were cruising NE. I would have loved for my kids to have met her in person. I would also have loved to chat with them about life about and schooling and such. How amazing!!! Thanks again for sharing that blog. I really did go to bed last night even more inspired. Ayla is an amazing young lady and I am excited for my kids, especially my youngest, who will be a full-time cruiser by the time he reaches 8 to have these same experiences. I am going to show my kids the blog today. Can't help but to want to jump right in today

Love chatting with folks like you and seeing folks like Ayla's family. It is so inspiring for me. As soon as I pull the trigger and purchase our boat I am going to have my kids do a blog also. They will love it.

Is your profile pic the roadster that you designed?
Please share with us what you view in person, test drive, and your impressions. It is enjoyable to watch the search and acquisition of that "perfect" boat as an interested bystander. Do a couple of charters, one in a multihull trawler, and one in a monohull trawler.

I did my thesis on minimum wetted surface hulls, i.e. fast ferries. Not only more fuel efficient but less instances of sea sickness among the passengers.

Since you enjoyed Alya, here is a sizzle reel that a production company put together using footage shot by her and her parents and then added a voice over. It is being used to pitch to a cable network, along the lines of "Pawn Stars", "Ice Road Truckers", "Alaska Gold Rush", etc.
Three@Sea Sizzle Reel - YouTube
As to my ride, I don't think I have a profile picture, but that is it in my avatar. A bigger picture here........

Tags
paracelle