Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 13:25   #1021

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomine View Post
#1017 was the last post? What is going on? I've been reading this thread about few hours and just ended!? This can not happen guys, gals! I loved reading every post, you can't stop now!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Glad you enjoyed the read

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-10-2014, 18:27   #1022

Boat: Pending

How can I find your new blog 5 kids and a boat?
I am in same spot where you where in two years ago. I have been saving last 7 years for my love for the water but I have not decided yet on a type. I am leaning towards motor boat over sail simply because I think more room n comfort, but like I said, you were a very good example of my journey n that is why I am eager to read your experience on your adventure. I think it will help me make a right decision .
Thanks dear...
nicomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 20:27   #1023

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomine View Post
How can I find your new blog 5 kids and a boat?
I am in same spot where you where in two years ago. I have been saving last 7 years for my love for the water but I have not decided yet on a type. I am leaning towards motor boat over sail simply because I think more room n comfort, but like I said, you were a very good example of my journey n that is why I am eager to read your experience on your adventure. I think it will help me make a right decision .
Thanks dear...
Just click on her hyperlink below her name (5 kids and a boat).

Or here.... http://5kidsandaboat.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:27   #1024

Boat: Pending

Thank you Bob,
nicomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 03:16   #1025
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Are certain foods linked to anti-social traits?

A 2015 study [1] claimed that: certain food preferences can indicate your personality traits, and that: that some preferences could be linked to psychopathic and sadistic traits, such as: psychopathy, narcissism, aggression and sadism.

The researchers found a link between the "increased enjoyment of bitter foods, and heightened sadistic proclivities."

The results of [both] studies [1] confirmed the hypothesis, that bitter taste preferences are positively associated with malevolent personality traits, with the most robust relation to everyday sadism and psychopathy.

Such foods included black coffee, gin and tonic, and dark chocolate.

Elsewhere [2], it's not looking too great for BMW drivers either.
According to a recent “study” [2], by a scrap vehicle price comparison company [your go-to source for automotive psychology, right?], people who drive Bimmers or EVs are more likely to display psychopathic tendencies, than drivers of other brands of vehicles.

According to Scrap Car Comparison [2] - which asked 2,000 drivers to complete a 12-question survey, that measures the extent to which people have psychopathic traits - BMW drivers scored highest, with an average 12.1 out of a possible 36 points.
In comparison, the average score. across the participants was 6.6. Meanwhile, Audi drivers narrowly missed the top spot scoring 11.7.

Traits measured included superficial charm, a grandiose sense of self-worth and a lack of remorse or guilt. Scores between 0-18 indicated that there was no psychopathy while a score between 19-26 showed it was “possible”. Scores over 27 revealed that psychopathy was “likely”, so all of the drivers still showed no signs of psychopathy despite the range in results.

[1] “Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits” ~ by Christina Sagioglou & Tobias Greitemeyer
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...95666315300428

[2] “Which Drivers Are Most Likely To Be Psychopaths?” ~ by Scrap Car Comparison
https://www.scrapcarcomparison.co.uk...e-psychopaths/

This post is NOT directed at any particular CF contributor.
[Unless you drive a BMW, and prefer foods with a bitter taste]

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 03:28   #1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

A 2015 study [1] claimed that: certain food preferences can indicate your personality traits, and that: that some preferences could be linked to psychopathic and sadistic traits, such as: psychopathy, narcissism, aggression and sadism.

Traits measured included superficial charm, a grandiose sense of self-worth and a lack of remorse or guilt.

Just goes to show you, non-scientific studies can conclude just about anything.

But it does beg the question: what happened to the OP?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 04:46   #1027
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Study #1 was a peer reviewed study [1], published in a scientific journal [“Appetite”],and has been cited, in the scientific literature, 42 times.
I commented on the reliability of the source for #2.
Quote:
... [your go-to source for automotive psychology, right?]...
As a hedge-fund manager gets out of his brand-new Beemer, a truck goes racing by, taking off the door.
“My Beemer! My beautiful silver Beemer is ruined!” he screams.

A police officer on the scene shakes his head in disgust. “I can’t believe you,” he says. “You’re so focused on your possessions, that you didn’t even realize your left arm was torn off, when the truck hit you.”

The hedge fund manager looks down, in absolute horror, and screams, “Oh no! My Rolex!”

Old 17-01-2024, 04:59   #1028

Quote:
Study #1 was a peer reviewed study [1], published in a scientific journal [“Appetite”],and has been cited, in the scientific literature, 42 times.
I commented on the reliability of the source for #2.

As a hedge-fund manager gets out of his brand-new Beemer, a truck goes racing by, taking off the door.
“My Beemer! My beautiful silver Beemer is ruined!” he screams.

A police officer on the scene shakes his head in disgust. “I can’t believe you,” he says. “You’re so focused on your possessions, that you didn’t even realize your left arm was torn off, when the truck hit you.”

The hedge fund manager looks down, in absolute horror, and screams, “Oh no! My Rolex!”

I was referring to study #2, which was about as scientific as the joke. Funny, but not science.

Still, I'm curious if anyone here knows what ultimately happened with Galaxy Girl's cruising ambitions.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 05:13   #1029
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
]... Still, I'm curious if anyone here knows what ultimately happened with Galaxy Girl's cruising ambitions.
GalaxyGirl’s [Patty] Last CF Activity was: 08-05-2018, when she said: “Geez! I haven't been on here in years...”
Her website, “https://5kidsandaboat.com/”, seems to have gone defunct [timed out].

Old 17-01-2024, 06:52   #1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Still, I'm curious if anyone here knows what ultimately happened with Galaxy Girl's cruising ambitions.
This was discussion was almost a decade ago...

Best I can remember, or maybe when I stopped following, she hired a "captain" who jumped off the boat and tried to swim away. She had to rescue him while he tried to swim away against the tide.

I have a vague memory that she ended up in a marina somewhere, on the east coast?, and sold the boat but I might be thinking of someone else.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 19:21   #1031

Just buy a sailboat 30-33 ft long and try to sail.
sigma772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:22   #1032

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

The researchers found a link between the "increased enjoyment of bitter foods, and heightened sadistic proclivities."

The results of [both] studies [1] confirmed the hypothesis, that bitter taste preferences are positively associated with malevolent personality traits, with the most robust relation to everyday sadism and psychopathy.

Elsewhere [2], it's not looking too great for BMW drivers either.
According to a recent “study” [2], by a scrap vehicle price comparison company [your go-to source for automotive psychology, right?], people who drive Bimmers or EVs are more likely to display psychopathic tendencies, than drivers of other brands of vehicles.

According to Scrap Car Comparison [2] - which asked 2,000 drivers to complete a 12-question survey, that measures the extent to which people have psychopathic traits - BMW drivers scored highest, with an average 12.1 out of a possible 36 points.
In comparison, the average score. across the participants was 6.6. Meanwhile, Audi drivers narrowly missed the top spot scoring 11.7.

Traits measured included superficial charm, a grandiose sense of self-worth and a lack of remorse or guilt. Scores between 0-18 indicated that there was no psychopathy while a score between 19-26 showed it was “possible”. Scores over 27 revealed that psychopathy was “likely”, so all of the drivers still showed no signs of psychopathy despite the range in results.

[1] “Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits” ~ by Christina Sagioglou & Tobias Greitemeyer
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...95666315300428

[2] “Which Drivers Are Most Likely To Be Psychopaths?” ~ by Scrap Car Comparison
https://www.scrapcarcomparison.co.uk...e-psychopaths/

I love gin & tonic, black coffee, and dark chocolate, and loved BMW's at least until about 2000 when they started to go downhill (my first one was a 1971 2002, and the last one I liked was a 1997 540i, the one with the 4.4l 32 valve V8 and 6 speed manual), later ones were carp. I don't think anyone here would call me a sociopath, though, at least -- I hope not!!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 03:16   #1033
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Personally, and non-professionally, I doubt that Dockhead is a “sociopath”, or "‘psychopath".
But, what do I know [about Dockhead or sociopathy]?
He may have a slight tendency, towards some of those traits.

Some people may use the term “sociopath” [or ‘psychopath’] to describe, what a mental health professional, would diagnose as “antisocial personality disorder” [ASPD]. A mental health professional won’t diagnose either sociopathy, or psychopathy.
Symptoms, of ASPD, may include disregard for others, a lack of empathy, and dishonest behaviour [lack of conscience, sense of right and wrong, or morality].
The most recent edition of the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” [DSM-5-TR] defines ASPD as a consistent disregard for rules, and social norms, and repeated violation of other people’s rights.

Antisocial Personality Disorder ➥ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK546673/

Old 14-04-2024, 10:17   #1034

Boat: Gulfstar MKII, 36'

I am a single 62 year female old with NO prior boating experience. I bought a 36' Gulfstar trawler MKII 3.5 years ago. Brought her from Albany, NY to St.Petersburg Florida with a captain friend. Learned as we went. She is the PERFECT boat for me. Big enough, not too big. I live aboard with my dog. I since have gotten myOUPV Coast Guard Captain's license and can Air BnB.......
Things I would look for: DIESEL= easy to work on for newbies, great gas mileage= 1gal. an hour; WIDE BEAM= stability on the water; AFT CABIN= room for company, privacy for you; TWIN SCREW= (just in case); plenty of deck room; DRY HEAD = like a real house!!!
Audrey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 14:06   #1035

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

. . . .

As a lover of black coffee, g&t, and dark chocolate, I say -- WTF?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle