Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 16:20   #886

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Posting here under my new name... no longer DefJef... The boat bought by a yard may very well have been bought to keep the yard worker busy... rather than lose them or pay them to paint fences. He can as they are doing the retrofit market the boat... so if that is the boat you want they may be open to an offer... and maybe even do some of the work you might want done. But absolutely get a survey on any boat you are seriously interested in.
So, should I still call you Jef?

How do I get in contact with the new owner? I doubt the broker will help with that.
Old 05-09-2013, 22:17   #887

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

So, should I still call you Jef?

How do I get in contact with the new owner? I doubt the broker will help with that.
You stated the new owner was a yard owner. It can't be too difficult to locate a boat that size in a yard. Assuming of course the yard isn't too far away.

Google search all yards within a 50 mile radius and start calling around. Get a chatty yard owner on the phone, describe the boat and sale circumstance and he will narrow it down for you pdq. It really is a small community and these guys talk more than gals in a beauty shop.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00   #888

GG,
Jef is fine. I don't know how you can get to the buyer. I don't think yacht sales are listed the way real estate transactions are. I suppose you could ask the broker. Why wouldn't they reveal who bought the boat, or the seller if you know them. You might also try to contact the boat yard where the boat was located and ask who the owner was and see if you can find who the buyer was. A few calls might bear fruit or be a dead end and then you can either contact the buyer or just move on in your search. Good Luck!
Jef
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31   #889

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

The boat will come back onto the market, but at a higher price. It might be beyond your budget and perhaps redone in a style that does not suit your needs. Cost of repairs what with land, buildings, taxes, payroll, workman's comp, utilities and profits make repairs and upgrades expensive. I would say go offshore for work that needs doing. I remember you once said you had workmen from Central or South America that had great pride in their work and managed to get twice as much done as a USA worker. Talk with them, maybe they can get you contacts and even help supervise the work. This will give you more flexibility in your search, get a boat with a good hull that looks bad and fix her up. That's what you do with a house. (by the way, a boat may times is referred to as feminine, the subjective pronoun, her, but if you are a woman that owns a boat, why not say him?)

Check with Zeehag about getting good work done down south that's inexpensive.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47   #890

My sense is that GG is not into a boat fixer upper. I could be wrong. She wants to get her mother and kids on the boat and live aboard ASAP. All boats will have new owner modifications and I am sure GG understand this and is expecting to undertake them. Of course no one wants to pay more than they have to for anything. But DIY work or owner work where the owner is the project manager requires probably more experience that GG has at this time. My guess is she will look for competent, reliable mechanics / companies do perform the work she will require... some as a result of the survey report and other modifications... such as heat for example deemed necessary. Members here can point her in the right dfirection and advise her as she begins the refit work. I seriously doubt she wants move a DIYer hull to South America for an extensive refit. That hardly makes any sense. One would think that large yachts of the size she's after have been reasonably well maintained... certainly if it has been used a lot. But some big yachts which are not used might well need some attention. Clearly there's not a lot out there which matches what GG is after... but she'll find the right boat.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:01   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
My sense is that GG is not into a boat fixer upper. I could be wrong. She wants to get her mother and kids on the boat and live aboard ASAP. All boats will have new owner modifications and I am sure GG understand this and is expecting to undertake them. Of course no one wants to pay more than they have to for anything. But DIY work or owner work where the owner is the project manager requires probably more experience that GG has at this time. My guess is she will look for competent, reliable mechanics / companies do perform the work she will require... some as a result of the survey report and other modifications... such as heat for example deemed necessary. Members here can point her in the right dfirection and advise her as she begins the refit work. I seriously doubt she wants move a DIYer hull to South America for an extensive refit. That hardly makes any sense. One would think that large yachts of the size she's after have been reasonably well maintained... certainly if it has been used a lot. But some big yachts which are not used might well need some attention. Clearly there's not a lot out there which matches what GG is after... but she'll find the right boat.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. And the boat that I wanted/lost didn't need much work. The interior was all new and very nice. But it did have some mechanical issues. Nothing that couldn't be resolved. I think that I will take a shot at e-mailing the broker to see if he will release the buyer. I'm guessing not, as he will probably want my name in his rolodex for another potential sale, but you never know.
Old 08-09-2013, 16:17   #892
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Hi GG... don't know stuff about motorboats but came across this while looking for a Westerly Centaur I remembered for someone else... may or may not be useless...
Scan down the page till the Yu Ching 52 plus 7... whatever that is... nice video tour..
Pamlico Classified Ads on TownDock.net | Oriental NC News

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:05   #893
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOLOL... not impressed huh...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOLOL... not impressed huh...
Thanks for posting it. I'm looking for something with more of a raised pilothouse. Nice bout though. Let me know if you happen on anything else
Old 10-09-2013, 13:10   #895

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

GG here are a few I found. You probably have seem most of them.

1985 C & L Stabilized Sea Ranger Long Range Cruiser Power Boat
C & L Stabilized Sea Ranger Long Range Cruiser, San Diego, CA US$445,000

1990 Terrebone Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Terrebone , OR, United States,US$ 295,000, Need finishing of refit

1986 Defever Pilothouse Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Defever Pilothouse Motoryacht, Marina Del Rey, CA , US$ 399,000

1999 Custom Steel Trawler Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Custom Steel Trawler Yacht , Riveria Beach, FL, US$ 285,000

1967 Custom Steel Monk Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Custom Steel Monk Pilothouse, WA, United States, US$ 199,000

1983 Defever Offshore Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Defever Offshore Cruiser, Vancouver, BC, US$ 576,657

1983 Cheoy Lee 66 Long Range MY Clean Power Boat For Sale
Cheoy Lee 66 Long Range MY Clean, NC, United States, US$ 569,000

1982 Hatteras Long Range Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Hatteras Long Range Cruiser, Fort Lauderdale, FL, US$ 450,000

1985 Hatteras LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Hatteras LRC, Seattle, WA, US$ 494,500

1978 Island Gypsy 57 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Island Gypsy 57, Barcelona, Spain, US$ 435,765

1987 Kha Shing 65 Long Range Trawler Power Boat For Sale -
Kha Shing 65 Long Range Trawler, Fort Myers, FL, US$ 469,000

1980 Sea Ranger 20 mtr. Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sea Ranger 20 mtr., Barcelona, Spain, US$ 330,125

1999 Wm. Garden LONG RANGE TRAWLER YACHT Power Boat For Sale -
Wm. Garden LONG RANGE TRAWLER YACHT, North San Francisco Bay, CA, US$ 174,900

Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales
65' AMT Custom 65 Trawler $549,000

Cannot post following trawlers but have to use Yachts: Venture Yacht Sales Inc. - Search for yachts anywhere in the world - Venture Yacht Sales Inc. searching on 65 to 75 foot length $200,000 to $650,000 to find the following:
75' Burger Motor Yacht, US$ 299,900 , Located in San Diego, CA, Hull Material: Aluminum

75' Broward Flybridge Motor Yacht, US$ 299,000 , Located in Longboat Key/Key West, FL, Hull Material: Aluminum

75' J&G Forbes Boat Yard North Sea Trawler, RADIANT STAR, Year: 1956, Price: US$ 389,000, Anacortes, WA ,•Hull Material: Wood

74' Hatteras CPMY, Boat Name: CHEROKEE LADY, Year: 1990, Price: US$ 579,900, Located in Orange Beach, AL, Hull Material: Fiberglass

72' Lantana Motoryacht, Boat Name: Islander, Year: 1969, Current Price: US$ 550,000, Located in Portland, OR , Hull Material: Aluminum
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 13:23   #896
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for posting it. I'm looking for something with more of a raised pilothouse. Nice bout though. Let me know if you happen on anything else
Ahhh... your into big swaying boats.. right.

Old 10-09-2013, 14:45   #897

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

GG, FWIW I think the Yu Ching-built Defever that Boatman posted means it's basically a 52" with 7' of cockpit space added on. Maybe original (as in cockpit motor yacht) or retrofitted, can't tell. Not much info on berths, and the only ones specifically mentioned are master and VIP (a euphemism for "guest") -- and I'd assume they'd have mentioned more if there were more.

Anyway, thought useful to make a point about the flying bridge. As you say, the boat doesn't have a "raised" pilothouse in the expedition sense, but OTOH it did look like a decent pilothouse and it's behind a Portuguese bridge, which can be useful.

Now about the flying bridge: it's possible to pretty much fully enclose those -- especially so when there's an existing hardtop structure (which could also be added) -- with some combination of fabric (canvas, Stamoid, Sunbrella), hard clear vinyl (EZ2CY, Makralon, etc.) and soft clear roll-up vinyl (e.g., Strataglass, Isenglass).

Essentially similar to a raised pilothouse, although obviously not up to the rigors of green water over the flying bridge. Still, the greenhouse effect provides some heat in cool weather, the clear panels can be pinned up and/or rolled up for added ventilation in hot weather (we remove and store all our aft panels during Summer)... and it's not uncommon to add heat and AC as from a marine reverse cycle unit or whatever. FWIW, we spend probably 75% of our time up on the bridge...

Not a recommendation for that Yu Ching boat, just a launchpad for a point about mods you can make (if necessary) on a boat you might otherwise find satisfactory.

Thought about your search as we were watching the Burr Yacht Sales/Fleming rendezvous over this last weekend. About 40 Flemings on site (their yard next door, plus 12 at our marina) of various sizes, plus 30 other owners who arrived by other means. They did a fleet gathering on the water on Sunday morning, with the Boatpix.com helicopter buzzing the place... and it was pretty impressive watching about 30 of 'em pull out of the two marinas en route to the local scenic lighthouse for group shots!

Now if they just didn't have so many digits in their price tag... although I think I'd still probably categorize those mostly as coastal cruisers and island hoppers. And nice ones, at that!

-Chris
Old 10-09-2013, 14:51   #898
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG, FWIW I think the Yu Ching-built Defever that Boatman posted means it's basically a 52" with 7' of cockpit space added on. Maybe original (as in cockpit motor yacht) or retrofitted, can't tell. Not much info on berths, and the only ones specifically mentioned are master and VIP (a euphemism for "guest") -- and I'd assume they'd have mentioned more if there were more.

Anyway, thought useful to make a point about the flying bridge. As you say, the boat doesn't have a "raised" pilothouse in the expedition sense, but OTOH it did look like a decent pilothouse and it's behind a Portuguese bridge, which can be useful.

Now about the flying bridge: it's possible to pretty much fully enclose those -- especially so when there's an existing hardtop structure (which could also be added) -- with some combination of fabric (canvas, Stamoid, Sunbrella), hard clear vinyl (EZ2CY, Makralon, etc.) and soft clear roll-up vinyl (e.g., Strataglass, Isenglass).

Essentially similar to a raised pilothouse, although obviously not up to the rigors of green water over the flying bridge. Still, the greenhouse effect provides some heat in cool weather, the clear panels can be pinned up and/or rolled up for added ventilation in hot weather (we remove and store all our aft panels during Summer)... and it's not uncommon to add heat and AC as from a marine reverse cycle unit or whatever. FWIW, we spend probably 75% of our time up on the bridge...

Not a recommendation for that Yu Ching boat, just a launchpad for a point about mods you can make (if necessary) on a boat you might otherwise find satisfactory.

Thought about your search as we were watching the Burr Yacht Sales/Fleming rendezvous over this last weekend. About 40 Flemings on site (their yard next door, plus 12 at our marina) of various sizes, plus 30 other owners who arrived by other means. They did a fleet gathering on the water on Sunday morning, with the Boatpix.com helicopter buzzing the place... and it was pretty impressive watching about 30 of 'em pull out of the two marinas en route to the local scenic lighthouse for group shots!

Now if they just didn't have so many digits in their price tag... although I think I'd still probably categorize those mostly as coastal cruisers and island hoppers. And nice ones, at that!

-Chris
If you click on the link at the bottom of the Ad you'll find it has 3.. possibly 4 cabins... the two big ones and at least 1 more... maybe 2..
The only thing lacking is the silly Empire State bridge..

Old 10-09-2013, 15:29   #899

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you click on the link at the bottom of the Ad you'll find it has 3.. possibly 4 cabins... the two big ones and at least 1 more... maybe 2..
The only thing lacking is the silly Empire State bridge..

Ah. Hadn't realized that was a hot link, thanks. Looks like 3 staterooms: master with queen, VIP (guest) with queen, and V-berth.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2013, 16:03   #900

Wowza! What a fun thread! 60 pages in your honor GalaxyGirl! What'r ya gonna get!?
aewing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle