Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 19:00   #751
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Definitely look at the resume and definitely contact the references... Your insurance company will likely want to do some due diligence too. Obviously a yacht delivery company has done the due diligence and so perhaps less for you to do. I am not a delivery skipper, but the dealer hired me to deliver a boat from CT to Brazil simply because it was a sistership of Shiva and they knew I was very familiar with the boat... so in a sense he thought I was more qualified and my fee was very reasonable. I installed my own SSB for the delivery.
Be comfortable with the skipper and crew and of course if you can.... go along with your baby.
__________________

__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 19:06   #752
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 691
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Just not worth the time....BTW - it's not hate if someone disagrees with you.

Out of this nonsense.
__________________

__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 19:13   #753
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Is a bow thruster good enough, or do you need bow and stern?

Anyone know what stern thrusters run, installed?
cG , I've been driving power boats upto 100 feet for years. , firstly two people can easily handle a 65 foot motor boat. Yes you need tuition , yes you need to practice, but there's no rocket science. Start with small journeys , gain experience , do the courses , etc etc no need for a captain , maybe at the start get an instructor to go out a few times.

Bow thruster , very useful , I'd recommend it. , saves on scrapes , stern thruster , nice to have , get one if you want, ignore the , " your not a real women/man, if you use a thruster argument "

Best config , is a single engine , with bow , and optionally stern thrusters

If you want a faster boat, consider semi displacement, like Flemming , speed is useful. Twin engines again with a bow thruster.

(That's cause in wind , its the bow you loose )

Dag Pike ( mobo author ) prefers big planning hull powerboats for heavy weather , like Ribs and new design lifeboats , trouble is few are made strong enough for rough weather.

Horses for courses

Ignore the doubter nonsense , Mobos are easy.


Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 19:21   #754
Registered User
 
WebWench's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA, USA
Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Posts: 285
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

To answer your question, I would get references and check the person out thoroughly. Make sure your insurance company is ok with the person and the move. make sure the Captain has a towing policy.... You should have one too.
A good delivery captain will have a list of requirements ( like the equipment and spares that must be on board) he will also require that all basic systems are operational and that your instruments are all working properly.
If you can go along for the ride and get some lessons on being crew and actually driving the boat so much the better. You will learn a great deal about your boat and its systems on a trip from Florida to Boston, wether you go ICW or outside.
__________________
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:20   #755
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Can I come? Just kidding... Of course all systems have to checked for proper working order by skipper... if he doesn't he shouldn't be driving the boat.
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 21:39   #756
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Ins. Companys, and Boat Brokers both normaly have lists of Captains who deliver boats. I believe there are serveral who are in the group on here. Connie and I would normaly put our oar in the water, but we are booked for the next 3 mos. Im sure you can find a Captain who has the Lic. and experince with larger MO Boats. Have fun and learn alot !!
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:12   #757
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Just not worth the time....BTW - it's not hate if someone disagrees with you.

Out of this nonsense.
I promised myself that I would ignore these kind of comments.

Disagreeing is fine, (and sometimes helpful even) but being nasty is not.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:14   #758
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Can I come? Just kidding... Of course all systems have to checked for proper working order by skipper... if he doesn't he shouldn't be driving the boat.
Absolutely! I need all the help I can get
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:25   #759
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
To answer your question, I would get references and check the person out thoroughly. Make sure your insurance company is ok with the person and the move. make sure the Captain has a towing policy.... You should have one too.
A good delivery captain will have a list of requirements ( like the equipment and spares that must be on board) he will also require that all basic systems are operational and that your instruments are all working properly.
If you can go along for the ride and get some lessons on being crew and actually driving the boat so much the better. You will learn a great deal about your boat and its systems on a trip from Florida to Boston, wether you go ICW or outside.
Good advice, thanks. Didn't think about a towing policy. I always say that if you have one, you won't need it, and if you don't... you will

Definitely taking the trip up with the boat. I am only going to hire a captain that is willing to teach me as we go. This will be my FIRST step at hands on training. (with many more to follow!!!)

I am also going to have the captain stay at the marina with me for a couple days when the boat arrives in Boston, to help me sort things out there, also.

I'm very excited, can't wait
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:30   #760
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
cG , I've been driving power boats upto 100 feet for years. , firstly two people can easily handle a 65 foot motor boat. Yes you need tuition , yes you need to practice, but there's no rocket science. Start with small journeys , gain experience , do the courses , etc etc no need for a captain , maybe at the start get an instructor to go out a few times.

Bow thruster , very useful , I'd recommend it. , saves on scrapes , stern thruster , nice to have , get one if you want, ignore the , " your not a real women/man, if you use a thruster argument "

Best config , is a single engine , with bow , and optionally stern thrusters

If you want a faster boat, consider semi displacement, like Flemming , speed is useful. Twin engines again with a bow thruster.

(That's cause in wind , its the bow you loose )

Dag Pike ( mobo author ) prefers big planning hull powerboats for heavy weather , like Ribs and new design lifeboats , trouble is few are made strong enough for rough weather.

Horses for courses

Ignore the doubter nonsense , Mobos are easy.


Dave
Thank You Dave for the encouragement!!! Much appreciated!!!

The boat that I plan on making an offer on,( if it checks out), has a single engine and a bow thruster, but no stern.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 08:38   #761
Registered User
 
brutb's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Posts: 598
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Pictures of your new boat, would love to see it.
__________________
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:51   #762
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

As most of you know, there is no license requirement from the USCG that GG must have to captain her own <200 ton vessel that isn't running paying passengers. The insurance company will be the only one with requirements of experienced, licensed captains. She will need a minimum of liability insurance to be legal, she can self insure for her vessel's losses. My liability only policy was dirt cheap for my Cal 40, but since I was singlehanding I could not get any insurance on my hull. For me it was worth the risk as I wasn't going to take on two crew just to satisfy the insurance company, and crewing for watches isn't the only demand, but where you cruise and time of season is also spelled out in a policy.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 13:46   #763
Registered User
 
WebWench's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA, USA
Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Posts: 285
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I don't know your job situation or family obligations but was just thinking that if you had the option to spend your first winter on your boat in Florida or another southern state things would be much easier for you.

You would not have to move the boat very far. you would likely not need the heating system or have to worry about water and holding tanks. (If you could find a good one in the south with pump out at the dock....or have your slip in reach of the pump out.

You likely would be able to get some cruising in over the winter as well....even if you hire a captain to help you the first few times.
__________________
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 14:54   #764
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I don't know your job situation or family obligations but was just thinking that if you had the option to spend your first winter on your boat in Florida or another southern state things would be much easier for you.

You would not have to move the boat very far. you would likely not need the heating system or have to worry about water and holding tanks. (If you could find a good one in the south with pump out at the dock....or have your slip in reach of the pump out.

You likely would be able to get some cruising in over the winter as well....even if you hire a captain to help you the first few times.
My sense is that by the time they family's ready to move aboard seriously it will be Spring and that would give them the time to close, get the boat up to Boston, learn systems and do some upgrades and modification and moving in, decorating, etc... and of course getting the feel for the boat... and maybe some sleep overs with the family. it might even need a bottom job after sitting in water all winter.

Boston is a great jumping off location for Maine, the Islands of MA, Newport, RI and LIS. Great cruising grounds for yr 1.
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 18:26   #765
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

GG,

Here is a new forum for you to try. A small yacht by their standards is 65', appears most members are at least 7 figure income earners. The thread that I'm posting the link to is an exception to their 65' minimum standard of what constitutes a yacht. I'm a member but haven't posted much. You will get a kick out of this group.
Review: AfriCat 420' Catamaran - YachtForums.Com
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.