Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 19:44   #646
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,389
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'll say it again...as I did months ago...but you are struggling to get through the swine to the pearls because you are going from novice to "big time skipper/owner" in one purchase. This is what so many threads discuss what a disaster is waiting in the winds for those with a wad of money and off they go (what many have been warning you about).

Find a boating friend who you can trust to guide you through the minefield....
That's the real message. If you asked how many folks who contributed to this topic how many boats they've had "before", I'm guessing it would be 99%.

You really should ask yourself why.

Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 21:07   #647
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That's the real message. If you asked how many folks who contributed to this topic how many boats they've had "before", I'm guessing it would be 99%.

You really should ask yourself why.

Good luck.
After 645 posts we get a real jewel of wisdom. Stu, I'm almost guilty of what GG is trying to pull off. A Flying Junior as a kid, two small trailerable power boats, and then the big jump to a Cal 40. I did feel a bit overwhelmed with that purchase and then I matched the purchase price with cruising systems and upgrades. Felt much better after getting in front of a Pacific high and having a downwind run from Long Beach to Cabo.

All vessels after the Cal were merchant, and the thrill was gone. Hoping to get back to pleasure boating/cruising.
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 00:48   #648
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,942
Images: 1
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Forget sail. I think a sailboat would be faster and easier to learn and probably maintain, but not for me.
You think it would be easier to learn how to sail and maintain a sailboat than a powerboat???????????????


Good luck!
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 00:54   #649
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I backed out of this at the beginning when what I said was misinterpreted and drew a defensive response.
I am surprised that many of have persisted to the degree they have.
On the other hand the op has a fantasy and a determination and has said she will have a captain for 2-3 years, while she learns and it will be about 5 years before she goes full time cruising with her kids.
She also thinks she won't be single-handing because there will be 7 of them.
In practical terms I would be thinking several things.
Here it is illegal to have someone under fourteen in charge of other than a dinghy. By that I mean on watch. Never mind lines and docking.
Organising five kids, however helpful they may be takes time, let alone home schooling, cooking, and seeing they are capable of standing watch. That is they too are trained to a reasonable standard. Doing repetitive watches even shared is tiring and boring. Let alone in difficult conditions when something stops and contractors and parts are 100s of miles away.
It carries little weight with me that a child says live on a boat yeah cool idea mum. Chances are they might.
In 5 years these kids are going to be 17-18 or most of them. I wonder what their attitudes and interests will be then. Oh well I can hazard a guess. University and or work may also be on the near horizon. Separation from parents in some sense sure is - it being a required part of adolescence.
Deck officer's question of where exactly the op intends to go remains unanswered. The simple fact is that while tropical islands or what ever appeal to many stuck in ruts , they too pall without contrast, as do museums and art galleries for that matter. For adults as well as kids.
Ok she is determined. Fine. She also doesn't know much, but is working on it =somewhat.
However, that leads her to ignore what many say - the too much like camping etc.
Finally just looking at the last couple of boats suggested - would you seriously head out to sea in that?
Most of the ornaments lamps etc etc would be smashed real quick and as for the main sleeping quarters - well you would end up sleeping on the floor. As for the washing machines and driers and dishwashers and upright fridges and large galleys where you can't even stand up in any sea sure looks like a dock boat to me.
Still no skin off my nose.
__________________
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 01:08   #650
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,942
Images: 1
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
I backed out of this at the beginning when what I said was misinterpreted and drew a defensive response.
I am surprised that many of have persisted to the degree they have.
On the other hand the op has a fantasy and a determination and has said she will have a captain for 2-3 years, while she learns and it will be about 5 years before she goes full time cruising with her kids.
She also thinks she won't be single-handing because there will be 7 of them.
In practical terms I would be thinking several things.
Here it is illegal to have someone under fourteen in charge of other than a dinghy. By that I mean on watch. Never mind lines and docking.
Organising five kids, however helpful they may be takes time, let alone home schooling, cooking, and seeing they are capable of standing watch. That is they too are trained to a reasonable standard. Doing repetitive watches even shared is tiring and boring. Let alone in difficult conditions when something stops and contractors and parts are 100s of miles away.
It carries little weight with me that a child says live on a boat yeah cool idea mum. Chances are they might.
In 5 years these kids are going to be 17-18 or most of them. I wonder what their attitudes and interests will be then. Oh well I can hazard a guess. University and or work may also be on the near horizon. Separation from parents in some sense sure is - it being a required part of adolescence.
Deck officer's question of where exactly the op intends to go remains unanswered. The simple fact is that while tropical islands or what ever appeal to many stuck in ruts , they too pall without contrast, as do museums and art galleries for that matter. For adults as well as kids.
Ok she is determined. Fine. She also doesn't know much, but is working on it =somewhat.
However, that leads her to ignore what many say - the too much like camping etc.
Finally just looking at the last couple of boats suggested - would you seriously head out to sea in that?
Most of the ornaments lamps etc etc would be smashed real quick and as for the main sleeping quarters - well you would end up sleeping on the floor. As for the washing machines and driers and dishwashers and upright fridges and large galleys where you can't even stand up in any sea sure looks like a dock boat to me.
Still no skin off my nose.
I couldn't agree more. Those boats won't stand up to even a light gale.

So here's one for sale. I know this ship. It will take anything you throw at it. It used to be a merchant marine training ship and has been completely redone. No expense spared.

But it is a ship - not a boat.

It will set you back about 5 mil USD but hey - it's only money!
MS Navigator
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 04:20   #651
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,834
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

You guys have no idea if those boats are fit for sea...the lamps could be bolted down as well as the fridge....do they have active stabilizers?

With as many sailboats being lost theses days...I'd rather captain one of those "pretty" boats than crew with all the internet " sailing wizards" around.

Plus...many long range powerboaters check the weather and avoid it.......You can cruise many miles without long ocean passages....
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 05:52   #652
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,985
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post

Finally just looking at the last couple of boats suggested - would you seriously head out to sea in that?
Most of the ornaments lamps etc etc would be smashed real quick and as for the main sleeping quarters - well you would end up sleeping on the floor. As for the washing machines and driers and dishwashers and upright fridges and large galleys where you can't even stand up in any sea sure looks like a dock boat to me.

I'm pretty sure the pics Bob posted recently were just meant for a laugh.. or maybe a test

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 09:24   #653
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'm pretty sure the pics Bob posted recently were just meant for a laugh.. or maybe a test

-Chris
Both. And a consideration for a means of living on the water with all the space she desires at a fraction of the cost.

Her mom convinced her to buy her first home in her early 20's and she has bought many since, renovating and flipping. Either she has saved a lot more than any of us could guess, and has the means to have her boat professionally crewed, or she is going to clean out all of her savings and assets on a life she thinks she wants. Stu Jackson nailed it when he mentioned that most all of us are not on our first boat, and through experience of owning all of the earlier boats we have arrived on our current boat.

My suggestions of a much lighter displacement boat she could captain was based on her wanting to cruise now with the kids and keep cruising till the youngest was off to college and a assumed budget for this lifestyle of $1 mil. If her budget is 5 times that, then a 185,000 lb boat and crew is within her means and I'm happy for her.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:46   #654
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,834
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Both. And a consideration for a means of living on the water with all the space she desires at a fraction of the cost.

Her mom convinced her to buy her first home in her early 20's and she has bought many since, renovating and flipping. Either she has saved a lot more than any of us could guess, and has the means to have her boat professionally crewed, or she is going to clean out all of her savings and assets on a life she thinks she wants. Stu Jackson nailed it when he mentioned that most all of us are not on our first boat, and through experience of owning all of the earlier boats we have arrived on our current boat.

My suggestions of a much lighter displacement boat she could captain was based on her wanting to cruise now with the kids and keep cruising till the youngest was off to college and a assumed budget for this lifestyle of $1 mil. If her budget is 5 times that, then a 185,000 lb boat and crew is within her means and I'm happy for her.
She still may not get insurance on the boat with her as captain no matter WHAT displacement till quite a few years down the road.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:49   #655
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You think it would be easier to learn how to sail and maintain a sailboat than a powerboat???????????????


Good luck!
I've sailed before, it wasn't a very large boat (25'), and I was a teen, but it wasn't very difficult. I actually won a race with several other boats although it was my first time sailing. I picked it up rather quickly.

Also, sailboats don't have massive diesel engines to maintain. Seems easier, but if I'm wrong, then that's just another plus on why I want a powerboat
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:00   #656
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
I backed out of this at the beginning when what I said was misinterpreted and drew a defensive response.
I am surprised that many of have persisted to the degree they have.
On the other hand the op has a fantasy and a determination and has said she will have a captain for 2-3 years, while she learns and it will be about 5 years before she goes full time cruising with her kids.
She also thinks she won't be single-handing because there will be 7 of them.
In practical terms I would be thinking several things.
Here it is illegal to have someone under fourteen in charge of other than a dinghy. By that I mean on watch. Never mind lines and docking.
Organising five kids, however helpful they may be takes time, let alone home schooling, cooking, and seeing they are capable of standing watch. That is they too are trained to a reasonable standard. Doing repetitive watches even shared is tiring and boring. Let alone in difficult conditions when something stops and contractors and parts are 100s of miles away.
It carries little weight with me that a child says live on a boat yeah cool idea mum. Chances are they might.
In 5 years these kids are going to be 17-18 or most of them. I wonder what their attitudes and interests will be then. Oh well I can hazard a guess. University and or work may also be on the near horizon. Separation from parents in some sense sure is - it being a required part of adolescence.
Deck officer's question of where exactly the op intends to go remains unanswered. The simple fact is that while tropical islands or what ever appeal to many stuck in ruts , they too pall without contrast, as do museums and art galleries for that matter. For adults as well as kids.
Ok she is determined. Fine. She also doesn't know much, but is working on it =somewhat.
However, that leads her to ignore what many say - the too much like camping etc.
Finally just looking at the last couple of boats suggested - would you seriously head out to sea in that?
Most of the ornaments lamps etc etc would be smashed real quick and as for the main sleeping quarters - well you would end up sleeping on the floor. As for the washing machines and driers and dishwashers and upright fridges and large galleys where you can't even stand up in any sea sure looks like a dock boat to me.
Still no skin off my nose.
Chris,
I won't be single-handling because I have folks that I will bring as crew. I have no intention of having my kids do much of anything except learn and have fun. As they get older and more responsible, maybe.

Yes, I will have a captain until I learn. We will take advantage of holidays as much as possible initially, but I would like to take off permanently much sooner than 5 years. 5 years is worst case scenario. But I am pushing for less than 2.

My kids can't wait to get the boat. They keep asking when, and are discussing amongst each other who will bunk with who.

I didn't answer Bob's question because everything is fluid. I am taking it one step at a time, and see where we end up.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:19   #657
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

GG,

What is your first choice of a major cruising destination?

Like me, I guess it would depend on where you took delivery of your boat. If I bought a East coast or Gulf coast boat, then the Caribbean would be my first cruising grounds. If it was a West coast boat it would depend on the season, summer in the PNW and Desolation Sound where I've never been, or if winter back to the Sea of Cortez where I have cruised and familiar with the great anchorages all along Bahia Conception.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:15   #658
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I was unclear in the interests of relative brevity. I was thinking of this 1987 Kha Shing 65 Long Range Trawler Power Boat For Sale - rather than the pictures of the house boat.
Sure some things might be potentially bolted down or stowed, but I can imagine in any decent sea flying from one side to another, and breaking bones. It looks dock and sheltered waters to me.
__________________
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:22   #659
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,834
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
I was unclear in the interests of relative brevity. I was thinking of this 1987 Kha Shing 65 Long Range Trawler Power Boat For Sale - rather than the pictures of the house boat.
Sure some things might be potentially bolted down or stowed, but I can imagine in any decent sea flying from one side to another, and breaking bones. It looks dock and sheltered waters to me.
You might be surprised....most serious, cruising powerboaters aren't this "I'm going and will take whatever comes" mentality...

Most of the circumnavigating powerboaters I've met say they have never really been in severe weather...cause they don't have to be if they don't want to be....and have a little upstairs to figure it out.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:36   #660
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You might be surprised....most serious, cruising powerboaters aren't this "I'm going and will take whatever comes" mentality...

Most of the circumnavigating powerboaters I've met say they have never really been in severe weather...cause they don't have to be if they don't want to be....and have a little upstairs to figure it out.
I was waiting for someone to say this. I'd get chewed out if it came from me.
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.