Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 09:34   #631

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Capt Phil,

What would that crew compliment run? If Unlimited Tonnage it would be around $2500 per day, berth, meals and transportation to and from ports to their homes.
My guess for a licensed skipper, $5-8000 per month, engineer, $4-6000 per month, another crew for watchstanding, $4-5000 per month, all found, paid into offshore accounts plus transportation to and from point of departure or home, every 6 weeks. The prices might be a bit dated as I've been out of the business for about 5 years but probably in the neighborhood. Unless the skipper has an unlimited ocean going with a canal endorsement, she might have an extra expense for that tonnage taking her through the canal for line handlers (kids could qualify, depending on age) and an accompanying transit skipper (don't remember the tonnage break point for the requirement for transit pilotage).
Suffice to say, moving a vessel that size in and out of port does require experience plus the appropriate licensing certification, as you know. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 10:02   #632

Remember guys, I have no intention of buying a 90' boat. My opinion was that it is too big. I admit, it does get tempting, and I do like to think things through before making a decision, but in the end, I know that the Blount boat is probably more work and expense than I'm interested in.

The boat that I will probably make an offer on is power, but it is 65', not 90.

Forget sail. I think a sailboat would be faster and easier to learn and probably maintain, but not for me. It would feel too close to camping. I need more space. If I have to budget for lots of fuel, then so be it.

My kids will meet other cruiser kids if they are near.

To those who continue to say that I don't listen: Not every person on the face of the earth will be in a sailboat. Just because a sailboat is best for your needs doesn't mean it is right for everyone.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:06   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
GG. Good luck with this family adventure! I think my wife and I would do it with our five if the pesky ex wasn't around. Of course I could invite him to go for a cruise with me...

What's your blog address again?
Thanks for the well wishes.

Blog is under my signature.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:09   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Can anyone point to a reference where it's "required" to have a licensed captain on board? I've never seen this requirement after teaching boating safety and captain licensing for over 10 years. I recall something about a 200 ton limit but that's a pretty big yacht.

Insurance may require it...probably will but the insurance company will direct the requirements based on a lot of things...not just size, tonnage, etc...
Yes, I would like this info also, because all that I can find for licensing is that you need a license if your getting paid, but that's it.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:18   #635

Good call, GG... at 65 feet that is more than enough space for you and your family and much easier to handle, moor, fuel up and learn to drive. Additionally, you will find it opens up a lot of places that would be too tight for you to get into in a 90 footer. Insurance companies wil be a lot more comfortable with a lower ton license to drive it for you until you gain your sea miles and experience. Good luck, GG... Phil
Old 14-08-2013, 10:25   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Spoken with all the authority of someone who has never done it. Your kids won't even know that their fellow cruising kids exist if you're tied up on a t-dock and the real cruisers are anchored out thirty miles away. Or even 5 miles away for that matter.

You'll be a lot happier in the long run if you buy a (smaller) starter boat that you know is a starter boat and figure it out by doing. But I don't know why you'd believe me when you've clearly ignored everyone else who has given you exactly the same advice. Over and over and over.
I don't believe that "real cruisers never dock". I have read about plenty of cruisers that dock at times.

I didn't say that I would strictly dock. I said that it will be a mix of both. I like options.

If I am anchored. It won't be in a sailboat.

Even those who do anchor, still take the dinghy to shore.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:55   #637

The issue of licensing according to tonnage, coastal vs open ocean, inland waterways is an insurance thing as well as a standard for those hiring professional mariners. Many insurance companies will not write a policy for an individual to buy a larger vessel and take control of her without the requisite experience or appropriate license for the size of vessel in question or the engagement of a licensed skipper to run her.
The other reason for licensing is if you are planning on taking paying passengers aboard. Depending on the size and number of paying passengers will dictate the level of license you require.
If you are going to be paid for driving a boat, say delivering one from A to B, the insurance company will almost always ask the owner for the experience and license level of the delivery skipper to reduce their liability and give them a higher level of comfort with who is in control of the boat.
Licensing varies from '6 pack', licensed to carry up to 6 pasengers on board for pay, 100, 200, 500 ton licences depending on experience, training and testing. Ocean going and unlimited tonnage licenses are gained through attendance at Maritime Academy's like CMA in CA.
There are heaps of regulations governing issuance and maintaining of licenses which can be found on line. In addition to sea time, testing etc., there is a renewal requirement to ensure that qualifications are kept current, every 5 years I believe.
Many on this forum are currently licensed and are a wealth of information.
Hope this helps, GG, cheers, Phil
Old 14-08-2013, 11:12   #638

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Wink Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Yes, I would like this info also, because all that I can find for licensing is that you need a license if your getting paid, but that's it.

I'll say it again...as I did months ago...you are better off staying off the internet because at your experience level it's way too confusing and too many people don't know shi+....

Find an experienced mariner with time on their hands that will coach and research for you...you would be surprised how many out there would be willing to help.

Not the crustiest guy on the dock...but not the slickest either..

There are 1 in 100,000 boaters that can help you just fine....considering how many boaters...it's actually a decent number.

Playing around on the internet and getting ideas is OK...but you are struggling to get through the swine to the pearls because you are going from novice to "big time skipper/owner" in one purchase. This is what so many threads discuss what a disaster is waiting in the winds for those with a wad of money and off they go (what many have been warning you about).

Yes you seem to be trying to get all the facts...but you are getting as many confusing opinions as valuable ones...why? Because it's way too complicated to be written and digested in a bazillion paragraph sized quips that more than half are waaaaayyyyy off base.

If your time is valuable....you are definitely wasting it on the internet.

Find a boating friend who you can trust to guide you through the minefield....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:15   #639

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Forget sail. I think a sailboat would be faster and easier to learn and probably maintain, but not for me. It would feel too close to camping. I need more space. If I have to budget for lots of fuel, then so be it.

I can certainly empathise with that. We enjoy sailing, but...

All those economic reasons be damned, I'm not living in a cave when below and out in the cold or rain or excessive heat when above. Tried that once (albeit in an express-style powerboat), even with a decent enclosed bridge deck; mostly boring.

It also happens I can't walk very well when a monohull sailboat is heeled over while underway.

And geez, you can't walk anywhere without tripping over a shroud or a stay or a winch or... well, you get the point.

All of those factors are much better handled on a cat, but I'm spoiled by the visibility from our flying bridge... and I can't afford a sailing cat with the same visibility. (Saw one going through here once, a nifty 85-footer )

Bottom line: you like what you like. Economic advantages that detract from psychic income aren't always worth much. If what you prefer costs more to operate or maintain, that's life.

GG: I suggest at this point you are no longer "completely overwhelmed" -- just moderately undecided.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2013, 11:37   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post

I do not understand why some of you are so negative and in a hurry. It took us about 2 years until my wife found the Eagle that met her requirements and it just felt right. There is not set time table.
... So enjoy GG adventure and it may take hundreds of more pages.

We took 2 years to find our first boat (including monohull and cat sailing candidates), another 2 (several years later) to find the successor to that one...

This current boat came faster, partly because we knew more about the features we wanted, partly because there were (maybe still are) only a few makers who offered one of those critical features. This one was less about selecting a make/model, and more about finding an actually-available candidate in the right condition at the right price.

Finding the make/model would have been even faster if Yachtworld's (or similar) search engine trolled through listings better... but much of that devolved to using keywords against field values, and hoping the listing broker might have included those keywords.

Even so... shopping is much, much easier when only one stateroom is mandatory, and long Atlantic/Pacific/Indian Ocean crossings aren't part of the equation.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2013, 11:43   #641

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Eat lunch with a group...some know what they want before they get there...others ask the waitress to change the order after she's taken it to the kitchen....

People...can't live with them...can't live without them...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:47   #642

GG, you've seen this one, yes? http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Dixon-Boat-Builders-Pilothouse-Expedition-Style-2608994/St.-Petersburg/FL/United-States#.UgvP4K7D-Dw

And this? http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Kha-Shing-65-Long-Range-Trawler-2584462/Fort-Myers/FL/United-States#.UgvQHa7D-Dw

I didn't check hull forms on those...

-Chris
Old 14-08-2013, 14:01   #643

Boat: Hughes 38

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes.

Blog is under my signature.
Cool. Signatures don't show up on the mobile platform but I saw it from my laptop.

Airshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:48   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG: I suggest at this point you are no longer "completely overwhelmed" -- just moderately undecided.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2013, 18:29   #645

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Find an experienced mariner with time on their hands that will coach and research for you...you would be surprised how many out there would be willing to help.

Not the crustiest guy on the dock...but not the slickest either..
That leaves me out.........

OK then, good luck GG.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle