Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 20:04   #571

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
The not for sale to US residents just precludes purchase of the boat in the United States, or else taxes become due. The sale is finalized off shore and can be to a US resident:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-us-36157.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-33364.html
Yup, Westwinds is right. I spoke to a broker about this US waters thing on another boat some time ago.

I'm still trying to get the Seattle boat out of my head... Just when I had gotten over that wood boat
Old 11-08-2013, 20:09   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Could you have missed the first one due to a 7' draft (there goes 75% of Caribbean anchorages you could use), or its 186,000 lb displacement and 350 lb anchor?

The 2nd one not for sale to US residents.
The boat that I plan to make an offer on has a draft deeper than that.

Mega yachts cruise the Caribbean...with deep drafts.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:47   #573

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

Of course they do. It is just that many primo anchorages are too shallow for that kind of draft.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 22:32   #574

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GG, I have been tellin ya that the Seattle area was the place to look for these types of vessels! There are most always 3 or 4 really nice LRC Trawlers for sale there! A few mos back Connie and I were there delivering a boat, and saw a 65 ft Raised House Trawler for sale then, that was a real looker, with a great engine and a seperate get home engine! 4 cabins and crews area! If you look around and meet a decent broker, Im sure you will find what ya need ! and you won't have to spend money bringing it to the US! and think of the fine coastal cruiseing yall could do getting it back home !! Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14   #575

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
GG, I have been tellin ya that the Seattle area was the place to look for these types of vessels! There are most always 3 or 4 really nice LRC Trawlers for sale there! A few mos back Connie and I were there delivering a boat, and saw a 65 ft Raised House Trawler for sale then, that was a real looker, with a great engine and a seperate get home engine! 4 cabins and crews area! If you look around and meet a decent broker, Im sure you will find what ya need ! and you won't have to spend money bringing it to the US! and think of the fine coastal cruiseing yall could do getting it back home !! Just a thought.
I been on this boat several time: Very nicely kept. However its why more boat and to big for most marines and yards in the PNW. Shoot the Eagle is right at the board line, 58 ft and 40+ tons. However it would make a heck of a live aboard and cruising boat. Been for sales for several years.

89' Blount Marine, Year: 1966, Price: US$ 599,000, Located In Seattle,Hull Material: Steel,Twin diesel Detroit 6-71, YW# 964-2275993
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ing_id=964&url=

If the sales takes place in US water then US customers/duty applies, and the owner odes not what to be involved in the read tape. They will sell to US citizen in Canadian waters or international waters. Many of the large meg a yachts transactions and registration is out side of the US and that is quite common.

So when are you coming to Seattle to look at boats and visit me?
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:48   #576
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

That's crazy. My boat draws 3.5 ft and I'd like less.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 14:30   #577

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Ah... different parts of the Caribbean vary in their friendliness to deeper-draft boats.
Those exploring the Bahamas or the reefs off Belize love shoal draft.
Then there's our wonderful Intercoastal... sigh.
Old 12-08-2013, 14:47   #578

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I would rule many cats out because this is going to be a liveaboard and weight just kills most cats....7 people and all the typical kid liveaboard stuff? Nope not gonna sell me a cat.

Shallow draft...yep if you are assuming many popular anchorages....but there's plenty of places to tie up or anchor deep draft monos...explore the little places by dingy.

Cats are NOT necessarily friendlier in a seaway...when it gets to a certain point, that initial stability jolts the crap out of you on may of them.

Plus manu of the modern cats are like living in a public restroom...to keep them light...they are not usually as nearly "warm" as an equivalent mono.

As far as yards hauling you....you get to any length, beam or displacement....any one of the 3 and many yards cant haul you.

Many marinas don't have berths wide enough to accommodate big cats...and I don't know if I would want a bunch of kids tooling back and forth all the time by dingy in all kinds of weather so tying up is probably gonna happen more than not.

But the good news is...GG probably doesn't want one anyway.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 17:10   #579

Boat: Seaward 22

So, you are going to spend $500k+ on a depreciating asset that you can't operate for at least a year. You have no actual knowledge to know if your family gets seasick, and this asset could take YEARS to sell if you decide to get out.

Listen to deck officer. Spend less, make a compromise, and get something like the Wright. If you love it (which I hope), and want to upgrade to a bigger vessel you will have the experience to sit for your captains license (maybe), and it will be easier to liquidate the vessel.

fair winds
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 18:21   #580

Boat: too many

How's this GG?

2001 asking $310K (I'm sure you could trim that by a lot)

Not a cat and aluminum hull, so some weight savings over steel.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:25   #581

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Geez, Bob, that's even worth a look for us... and we're not even shopping! Link? What's the catch?

-Chris
Old 13-08-2013, 13:18   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Geez, Bob, that's even worth a look for us... and we're not even shopping! Link? What's the catch?

-Chris
I bet the catch is that the boat is a MY and not a trawler. Boooo....
Old 13-08-2013, 13:23   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yeah, I know u have. I was thinking to myself ever since Westwinds pointed out that Blount, this is what Bob was talking about.
Old 13-08-2013, 13:29   #584

[QUOTE=rw58ph;1309122]I been on this boat several time: Very nicely kept. However its why more boat and to big for most marines and yards in the PNW. Shoot the Eagle is right at the board line, 58 ft and 40+ tons. However it would make a heck of a live aboard and cruising boat. Been for sales for several years.

89' Blount Marine, Year: 1966, Price: US$ 599,000, Located In Seattle,Hull Material: Steel,Twin diesel Detroit 6-71, YW# 964-2275993
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ing_id=964&url=

If the sales takes place in US water then US customers/duty applies, and the owner odes not what to be involved in the read tape. They will sell to US citizen in Canadian waters or international waters. Many of the large meg a yachts transactions and registration is out side of the US and that is quite common.

So when are you coming to Seattle to look at boats and visit me? [/QUOT
E]

=
Phil, you have been on this boat? How much crew do you think that I would need?
Old 13-08-2013, 13:32   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
How's this GG?

2001 asking $310K (I'm sure you could trim that by a lot)

Not a cat and aluminum hull, so some weight savings over steel.

[IMG]http
://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Boats%20for%20GG/4349245_20130426083715489_1_LARGE_zps0ecd1dd2.jpg[/IMG]

No, I know what it is. It's a house boat. I would NEVER EVER EVER buy a houseboat!!!

Tags
paracelle