Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 22:42   #481

Boat: too many
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

GG,

I'm getting a better idea now though. Marina life is good in the nicer marinas. In San Diego if slips are available, your size boat would be in the $1000 ~ $1500 a month range so not bad at all. Fuel burn and the services of a captain will run about $800 per day while on a 200 nm per day passage. That is a bargain, my rate is $880 per day and fuel burn is 125 tons per day for a container ship. If you cruise 15% and enjoy the nicer marinas 85% then that can be done for less than $60K per year. Tack on $20K per year for insurance, haul outs, bottom paint etc, so your choice of cruising is affordable, but adds up.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 01:45   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,
.... Now even this setting will be greatly influenced by your choice of boats. Lets say you got your big 80 ton boat with the draft that such a vessel would draw, your choice of pristine anchorages will be limited, and because of that, your anchorage neighborhood (and that is what they are) will consist of other powerboats and some deep draft mono hull sailboats. ....
This is the money quote from this thread which I haven't followed in detail.

If getting away means literally being able to find pristine quiet and beautiful locations a huge deep draft boat is a non starter. And this is true every where. Mega yachts have few mooring options and even marinas.

The thing I disliked most about other boats are noisy generators and large wakes. I've been aboard mega yachts and find them so removed from what cruising is to me... they are more like cruise ships in how they separate their occupants from the sea and the shore.

Boats are meant to not waste space, but use it well. Sleeping accommodations need not be large at all and shared spaces serve multi functions and bring the occupants together. Lots of the living is out side...much more than at a house for most.

And then there's the fuel costs of large motor yachts. Going to nearby destinations can cost 1k -2k in fuel where for a large sailboat it's $10 at most. But those large sailboats often have deep drafts too.

Seems to me what might give your the best is a large sailboat with a hired captain. Perhaps you start by chartering for a year and letting the family get their feet wet and then make a more informed decision. This might allow you to experience different boats. And I mean EXPERIENCE. Advice is good, but you need to have real time experience.

Good luck.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 06:53   #483

What is considered a deep draft?

I really don't feel that a 55-65' boat is so crazy for 7 people onboard. Is it more about the steel factor and the weight or is it the length?
Old 30-05-2013, 07:49   #484

GG,

It think you should keep the draft to 6' or better 5'. I don't know power, but large sailboats often have centerboard to reduce their drafts.

Realistically cruisers tend to move in fair weather and favorable sea conditions and sailing under those conditions is not very taxing. The sail goes up usually with a motorized winch, the head sail is unfurled... wind does that. A little trim and sail for the day... or motor sail. The trades are pretty reliable and make for some great sailing. And yes a 55-65 sail boat will do fine with 7.

Frankly the cost of fuel for one of those motor yachts would be off putting to most. I met a fella on the dock a few yrs back who took hos fathers 40 something trawler or similar to Block Island from Greenport and mentioned the fuel cost him over a $1K. That's unacceptable for many reasons.

Frankly I think a sailboat would be more fun for the children. I know several children who literally grew up on sailboats... even cruised with their parents as infants. They turned out to be the most independent and self sufficient child I know and very intelligent and environmentally aware.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 08:51   #485

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Here`s the boat you need GG. We had a nice visit with Peter and his family in Plumper Cove, across from Gibsons, BC a few weeks ago. They brought Kahu into a pretty tight anchorage which tends to make me skeptical about the naysayers who claim large vessels can`t go into pretty little spots. I think the issue is more whether the vessel captain WANTS to take the vessel into tight spots than whether the vessel is capable of getting in there.

Just for reference though, Peter told us that he had 150,000 manhours into the refit. Pick your number for $ per hour and then add engines and electronics and other materials to get a rough estimate of what this vessel might be worth if it was for sale. OTOH it truly is a go anywhere boat with plenty of room for over a dozen people onboard. I`m sure Peter would be happy to do a refit for you.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 10:43   #486

We have a draft of 5ft 9in on our trawler. That is already enough to limit cruising in the Florida Keys and makes a few sections of the ICW a bit tenuous at times. Would not want to have much deeper draft. Really pleased I did not fall for the great looking "antique" steel vessel with the 8ft draft. Would have really limited docking and cruising options.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 10:49   #487
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
We have a draft of 5ft 9in on our trawler. That is already enough to limit cruising in the Florida Keys and makes a few sections of the ICW a bit tenuous at times. Would not want to have much deeper draft. Really pleased I did not fall for the great looking "antique" steel vessel with the 8ft draft. Would have really limited docking and cruising options.
Wow! That is deep for Florida cruising. 4' would be my max.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 10:55   #488

I agree. I should have made it clear that we did not get to cruise the Keys!! We went straight to the Bahamas.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 10:59   #489
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I agree. I should have made it clear that we did not get to cruise the Keys!! We went straight to the Bahamas.
Shame. The Keys are on our list this winter.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 11:59   #490

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

GG-you know I have followed your quest since its beginning here. I well understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. You made a good start with the short list you posted earlier on this thread. I would suggest adding a few other requirements (1) Price-IIRC, you are looking in the $500K range generally (2) Hull type and material-full displacement and glass, easiest to maintain over time (only my opinion for the steel/aluminum/wood folks), (3) Condition-you want as close to sail-away as you can find. (4) just a bit of flexibility on you initial list as you actually go aboard boats.

Find a good broker, give him/her the list and tell them to only bring you boats that reasonably meet those requirements. As many here have noted-time to start going on boats to start getting a feel for different boats, layouts etc. Ask your broker if he/she knows of local boats matching the list, for sale or not-and if he/she can arrange with owners to see the boat. If you see boats meeting your criteria, don't be shy about asking an owner to show you his boat. Many are happy to. This helps you look at different boats without the travelling. With a little effort, your list of acceptable boats will narrow itself down and you can start looking at specific boats as potential purchases.

As you go on different boats, you will quickly get a feel for style, layouts, functionality, etc. Again, the list will narrow. You should end up fairly quickly with an idea of brand, layout and type and can focus only on those boats.

I recall you previously looking at the 66' Cheoy Lee. I am still of the opinion that the Cheoy 60-66' would be a good boat for you and family. These are good, solid, well-built and appointed and probably come as close to meeting your requirements as any production or semi-production ever will.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 20:09   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Here`s the boat you need GG. We had a nice visit with Peter and his family in Plumper Cove, across from Gibsons, BC a few weeks ago. They brought Kahu into a pretty tight anchorage which tends to make me skeptical about the naysayers who claim large vessels can`t go into pretty little spots. I think the issue is more whether the vessel captain WANTS to take the vessel into tight spots than whether the vessel is capable of getting in there.

Just for reference though, Peter told us that he had 150,000 manhours into the refit. Pick your number for $ per hour and then add engines and electronics and other materials to get a rough estimate of what this vessel might be worth if it was for sale. OTOH it truly is a go anywhere boat with plenty of room for over a dozen people onboard. I`m sure Peter would be happy to do a refit for you.
WOW, that is my dreamboat!!!
Old 31-05-2013, 16:40   #492

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
The neat thing about Kahu is that she is a very utilitarian family friendly boat. Peter's yard builds luxury "super yachts" but they very deliberately did NOT do that level of finish on their own boat. And I particularly loved their diesel inboard RIB.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 18:38   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
The neat thing about Kahu is that she is a very utilitarian family friendly boat. Peter's yard builds luxury "super yachts" but they very deliberately did NOT do that level of finish on their own boat. And I particularly loved their diesel inboard RIB.
Yeah, I found that very interesting that they intentionally made it user friendly. But, it's still a muti million boat I would think.

Nothing like having the resources to design your own way. Pretty awesome.
Old 01-06-2013, 00:59   #494
Marine Service Provider

Hey GG. I bought my first trawler to live on 7 years ago. Best crazy decision I ever made. Fell in love with boating so much gave up my lawyer life to get a degree at the Landing School of Boat Design and Construction.

I help buyers find boats and deal with all the leg work involved. So feel free to email me. I would also think with kids the boat is going to need more safety minded things along with other parts of the design. Happy to share how I stupid my way to smarter.

Cheers
Lori
YourBOATDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24   #495

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBOATDoctor View Post
Hey GG. I bought my first trawler to live on 7 years ago. Best crazy decision I ever made. Fell in love with boating so much gave up my lawyer life to get a degree at the Landing School of Boat Design and Construction.

I help buyers find boats and deal with all the leg work involved. So feel free to email me. I would also think with kids the boat is going to need more safety minded things along with other parts of the design. Happy to share how I stupid my way to smarter.

Cheers
Lori
Sounds like a great contact for you GG.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle