Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 14:45   #451

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I don't know how you find some of these boats. Just when I thought that I had seen them all...
I google the model of a specific boat, for instance Choey Lee LRC or Choey Lee 44.

If I were really serious in a search, I would also look at these sites:
yachtworld.com
searchtempest.com to search craigslist
ebay.com
marinesource.com
boattrader.com
boatquest.com
boatworld.com

I think the best is to use google if there is a specific boat model to work with because people advertise in the weirdest places
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 15:44   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The catch, if you can call it that, a sailboat. I know, not what you want but hear me out. Either sail or power, you will be taking on an captain/instructor to get you to the point of being able to sail, navigate, anchor and understand all your systems. The difference in these captains is for the sailboat you would have no problem finding someone willing to take a month off their 9 to 5 job and sail with you for free, once at your destination he/she can return to their 9 to 5 and you can motor around with a better than 1000 nm range on just 200 gallons. Do this a few times and you will be confidently sailing under sail to distant places on your own. This way all your early criteria is met and live aboard and cruising expenses is a fraction of a powerboat that is large enough to offer the same level of accommodations.

Still interested or did the idea of a sailboat end your interest?
Bob,
Now you know how I feel about sail. It takes a certain person to have a love or maybe a need to sail. I have neither. I have no desire to sail whatsoever. But...I am curious to see the Wonderboat. Will you post the link?
Old 28-05-2013, 15:50   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I google the model of a specific boat, for instance Choey Lee LRC or Choey Lee 44.

If I were really serious in a search, I would also look at these sites:
yachtworld.com
searchtempest.com to search craigslist
ebay.com
marinesource.com
boattrader.com
boatquest.com
boatworld.com

I think the best is to use google if there is a specific boat model to work with because people advertise in the weirdest places
I have tried all of the above and have tried the google thing also. I have spent so much time searching yactworld, I actually notice when some boats have had price reductions. It's pretty pathetic actually. I think that you are just better at it than I am.

Please use your magic and find me a nice 3 story boat
Old 28-05-2013, 16:38   #454

Boat: too many

GG,

Do you not like how a sailboat looks or is it you don't want to depend on the winds for making passages? Or you just don't want to learn to sail? There is a boat that I like but is out of my budget but might be within your budget. We have come to the end of cheap fuel, had you decided on powerboat cruising in 1990 you would of had 25 years of affordable fuel, but as it stands now, most all of Europe is over $8 per gallon and by mid decade we will be there too. So, forgetting sailboats, and having the ease of operation of just setting a heading and ramping up throttles, I'll offer up what I would jump on if $200K cheaper than its current asking price.

Sleeps 10 in 6 berths and can circumnavigate on zero fuel burn and no sails. You work them down in price, enjoy it for X amount of years and then we'll talk about me buying it from you. Is that a plan?

Plus you can make a statement, and that is being able to move your large family and home around the world with no carbon footprint.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=74703&url=
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 22:21   #455

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Please use your magic and find me a nice 3 story boat
Well of course I can, but then you are going to tell me you do not have $3,000,000
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:02   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Well of course I can, but then you are going to tell me you do not have $3,000,000
Good answer
Old 29-05-2013, 11:12   #457

Quote:
GG,

Do you not like how a sailboat looks or is it you don't want to depend on the winds for making passages? Or you just don't want to learn to sail? There is a boat that I like but is out of my budget but might be within your budget. We have come to the end of cheap fuel, had you decided on powerboat cruising in 1990 you would of had 25 years of affordable fuel, but as it stands now, most all of Europe is over $8 per gallon and by mid decade we will be there too. So, forgetting sailboats, and having the ease of operation of just setting a heading and ramping up throttles, I'll offer up what I would jump on if $200K cheaper than its current asking price.

Sleeps 10 in 6 berths and can circumnavigate on zero fuel burn and no sails. You work them down in price, enjoy it for X amount of years and then we'll talk about me buying it from you. Is that a plan?

Plus you can make a statement, and that is being able to move your large family and home around the world with no carbon footprint.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=74703&url=
It's like a Space Cat. Seems like a pretty nice boat actually. See the solar panels on that baby. If I were in the sail market I would be very tempted. If it were within a 4 hour drive I would go view it.

I don't really want to deal with sailing. I don't want to rely on the wind. I don't want to deal with raising sails and jibbing and jabbing and all the stuff that goes along with it.

But mostly, the space in sailboats and cats is just different. They just don't seem as spacious. I will have 7 or 8 people aboard and 2 cats. Maybe even a dog one day if my kids finally get there way. I don't think the space is divided enough.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:25   #458

From personal experience and with friends who have both boats and kids, the two seldom seem to go together for very long. Sooner or later the kids grow up and have other interests and commitments. Sooner or later you end up with them showing up once in a while. Before you buy a vessel large enough to accommodate all the kids, friends and dog/cats at the same time you might want to ask yourself seriously how many years/months/weeks the kids etc will really want to spend cruising with dear old mom!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:30   #459
Marine Service Provider

It's the same with friends. They all say they want to go, but they rarely or never will.

So don't buy a boat to accommodate them either....
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:25   #460

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

I've read most of your responses and a lot of the advice given here ... I don't think you're ready to pull the plug ... too many issues and a lack of decision-making. I must admit that, as a retired military officer and police officer, I have never waffled as much as you have, even though I've been in life-or-death situations. I beginning to think that you are just wasting your time .... JMHO.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:32   #461

Boat: too many

The response from chrisjs and beachbum29 sounds like they have been there, done that. Which brings things right back to my original suggestion, a trawler small enough that you can captain and insure right from the beginning and accept tight accommodations for the family. The price difference between something you could pilot now and the 60 tonners you have been interested in, plus difference in operating costs would leave plenty of funds to keep a land based home and still cruise the Caribbean on school holidays. If the entire family takes to cruising, you can always sell the home and smaller boat to move up to the 60 ton vessel of your dreams. My vote is still for the PDQ powercat for the first boat to see if the cruising lifestyle works for you, as they hold value better than most and won't break the bank to operate. Until you have had the opportunity to clear customs, provision the boat in a foreign port, deal with pounding into head seas, having an anchor drag, loosing an engine to a clogged filter, zinc change outs, bottom paint, etc, you just can't be sure this cruising lifestyle is for you. The type of boats you are looking at are on the market for a long time for good reason. Not a bad thing as a buyer, but should the life not be for you or the kids, not a good thing for the seller, you.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:33   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
From personal experience and with friends who have both boats and kids, the two seldom seem to go together for very long. Sooner or later the kids grow up and have other interests and commitments. Sooner or later you end up with them showing up once in a while. Before you buy a vessel large enough to accommodate all the kids, friends and dog/cats at the same time you might want to ask yourself seriously how many years/months/weeks the kids etc will really want to spend cruising with dear old mom!!
Chris,
This a very valid point and one that we have been discussing and thinking about extensively. I know that ALL 5 of my kids will be with me for at least the next five years for sure. Then who knows after that. Do I buy a boat for now or later?
Old 29-05-2013, 12:36   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
I've read most of your responses and a lot of the advice given here ... I don't think you're ready to pull the plug ... too many issues and a lack of decision-making. I must admit that, as a retired military officer and police officer, I have never waffled as much as you have, even though I've been in life-or-death situations. I beginning to think that you are just wasting your time .... JMHO.
Dude,
If wasn't ready to pull the plug, there wouldn't be a Coldwell Banker sign on my front lawn.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:40   #464

Quote:
The response from chrisjs and beachbum29 sounds like they have been there, done that. Which brings things right back to my original suggestion, a trawler small enough that you can captain and insure right from the beginning and accept tight accommodations for the family. The price difference between something you could pilot now and the 60 tonners you have been interested in, plus difference in operating costs would leave plenty of funds to keep a land based home and still cruise the Caribbean on school holidays. If the entire family takes to cruising, you can always sell the home and smaller boat to move up to the 60 ton vessel of your dreams. My vote is still for the PDQ powercat for the first boat to see if the cruising lifestyle works for you, as they hold value better than most and won't break the bank to operate. Until you have had the opportunity to clear customs, provision the boat in a foreign port, deal with pounding into head seas, having an anchor drag, loosing an engine to a clogged filter, zinc change outs, bottom paint, etc, you just can't be sure this cruising lifestyle is for you. The type of boats you are looking at are on the market for a long time for good reason. Not a bad thing as a buyer, but should the life not be for you or the kids, not a good thing for the seller, you.
Wasn't that bought that I wanted 80 tons?

Believe me, I hear what your saying. It all boils down to what is best and what one really wants. It's a daily tug of war that I'm sure isn't going to end until the very day that I purchase the boat.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:45   #465
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Dude,
If wasn't ready to pull the plug, there wouldn't be a Coldwell Banker sign on my front lawn.
It depends on how it's priced...

To sell or hoping for the moon?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle