Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 21:12   #421
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Any new news?
Maybe this one? - Trawler Forum
__________________

__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:30   #422
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Looks like she has upped the ante to a 100 ton steel trawler. I wouldn't want those haul out bills just for zincs that need to be welded on. Probably cheaper to have a diver/underwater welder do that. But either way, all the costs to operate, maintain, and insure is going to be low 6 figures per year.
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:10   #423
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Looks like she has upped the ante to a 100 ton steel trawler. I wouldn't want those haul out bills just for zincs that need to be welded on. Probably cheaper to have a diver/underwater welder do that. But either way, all the costs to operate, maintain, and insure is going to be low 6 figures per year.
I would like to think it could be done for less than that, Bob. There are plenty of REAL 100t steel trawlers being maintained for way less than that. Otherwise a boat grossing 200k a year and valued at 60k would never get hauled out at all. A trawler yacht needs no more maintenance than an actual trawler.

Now let me go on record saying I personally dont care for wood or steel and i am pretty lukewarm on ferro. That pretty much leaves fiberglass which is pretty tolerant of my casual approach to maintenance. I, too, have literally thousands of hours leaning on a needle gun and I dont care to do it if I am not getting paid OT for it! Not my idea of what recreational boating is all about. Nevertheless if her brood pitches in on topside maitenance it would help, and bigger zincs can last a few seasons barring ground issues. With a thorough bottom job in the first place, annual haulouts arent absolutely necessary. Hey kids... scuba lessons? Heres a nice hull scraper while youre down there... with light use the machinery is good for low maint costs. No sails, standing or running rigging to replace. A small compensation for not being able to harness the free energy of the wind for propulsion. Yeah worst case scenario 100k a year could certainly be exceeded but I think it could be kept for less than half of that. Time will tell.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:19   #424
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I would like to think it could be done for less than that, Bob. There are plenty of REAL 100t steel trawlers being maintained for way less than that. Otherwise a boat grossing 200k a year and valued at 60k would never get hauled out at all. A trawler yacht needs no more maintenance than an actual trawler.

Now let me go on record saying I personally dont care for wood or steel and i am pretty lukewarm on ferro. That pretty much leaves fiberglass which is pretty tolerant of my casual approach to maintenance. I, too, have literally thousands of hours leaning on a needle gun and I dont care to do it if I am not getting paid OT for it! Not my idea of what recreational boating is all about. Nevertheless if her brood pitches in on topside maitenance it would help, and bigger zincs can last a few seasons barring ground issues. With a thorough bottom job in the first place, annual haulouts arent absolutely necessary. Hey kids... scuba lessons? Heres a nice hull scraper while youre down there... with light use the machinery is good for low maint costs. No sails, standing or running rigging to replace. A small compensation for not being able to harness the free energy of the wind for propulsion. Yeah worst case scenario 100k a year could certainly be exceeded but I think it could be kept for less than half of that. Time will tell.
Jesus... life is so much simpler when one is poor... with a small boat..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:27   #425
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jesus... life is so much simpler when one is poor... with a small boat..
Amen. My boat cost me 2k to buy and I have been holding the line pretty good on maint costs, due to poverty.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:46   #426
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
So what ever happened?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:48   #427
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

She is plugging away on the Trawler's Forum, a sister forum to CF.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:49   #428
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 371
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Please do not restart this thread!!!
__________________
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:04   #429
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
She is plugging away on the Trawler's Forum, a sister forum to CF.
I post over there and can't remember her for quite awhile
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:34   #430
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Her last post in trawlerforum.com was April 14, 2013
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:41   #431
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I would guess that if she found an ocean crossing boat for her, her kids, and other family members she needed berths for, she would be chatting the folks on TF up quite a bit. More than likely she discovered her dream wasn't financially feasible and has moved onto other dreams.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:43   #432
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
I never believed one bit of it.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:45   #433
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I never believed one bit of it.
But you can't rain on someone's dreams, so I went along for the ride.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:50   #434
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
But you can't rain on someone's dreams, so I went along for the ride.
If she was really going to do it, she never would of been affected by other peoples comments.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:38   #435
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

It's not a dream, it's a PLAN.

The update:

My house is currently on the market for sale. As soon as it is sold I am going to view a bunch of boats. Still not completely sure what I want and still weighing out options. I have a few on the short list, but there is 1 boat in particular that I think will be the "one" if it checks out and is what it seems to be. Can't wait for the day when I can post the pic of my new boat.

Watching Yachtworld every day...
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.