Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 20:32   #406

Boat: too many
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yea but that Hatt won't cost ya 25,000 a year in up keep ! That 40 + year old steel hull is past its prime! and the Glass hatt will be in useable shape 20+ yrs from now and the other will be a rust pile !! And really it's under powerd! of course thats my opinion ! based on 50 + yrs of running large boats of both these types !! and the Hatt will cross oceans with planning and maybe an additional fuel tank of say 500 gals ! sure lots of room to add one !! LOL I guess it depends on what you think looks seaworthy, but looks like don't mean much in rough conditions !! Most any vessel you find in the sizes your talking about, will be comfortable, but will it last without spending big bunchs of time and money should be something you will think about !!
Like I said Bob, for me too many needle gun hours on steel ships for me to embrace them for personal use, plus they are heavy.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:49   #407

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Sorry guys (and gals),
If I was going to buy a boat in the neighborhood of 80', it would be something more like this.

Galati Yacht Sales (Anna Maria, FL)
I went past that girl hundreds of times while she was tied up at Seabrook in the Kemah Channel (at least 2+ years). She really is a beauty! I always admired the hot tub! The only people I ever saw on her were the cleaning staff. Galati moved down to Galveston (Offats Bayou), I suppose she's there now. I ought to cruise over there and have a look. I always assumed $600K left about $300K to bargain with...but then I work in $100 boat bucks.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:56   #408

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

If you do not load a diesel at 40% power or more, it can slobber. What does the term 'engine slobber' mean in reference to a diesel engine?
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:00   #409

The Hatt is kinda interesting. Setup as a dock queen/ floating condo and a fair bit of that does not appeal, to me at least. eg A permanently enclosed cockpit is something I would revise. But that major refit should have sorted a bunch of potential R&M issues, so looking forward it might not need all that much to be spent in the next few years. In contrast, there is a big whack of cash for the other one straight after purchase - shipping, stabilisers, electrical work.

The Hatt is powered for semi displacement high speed cruise - 2 x 650HP? But with its waterline length and light displacement for its length, it would likely only need about 180HP for 10kn cruise. Not sure how feasible it is to run on just one engine, or to mod so that is practical. In part this depends on how the 12' extension was done. If it was just a stern extension without moving props/rudders it could be a dog.

Even if the gallons per nm equation can work with the big 12's there would be a bunch of other work to do before it would be ready to cross an ocean. But that could be deferred until closer to the time it was actually needed. I'd want to inspect it, just to be able to contrast another option and be comfortable with the final choice.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:03   #410
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Bash,

Being on the receiving end of those radar reflectors on the bridge of a container ship, they kinda work. Without one a small 'glass sailboat doesn't show up above my sea clutter. With the reflector about 1 in 20 sweeps it manages to reflect my signal.
We're talking a 75' steel hull displacing 250,000 lbs. Do you really think a radar reflector is going to add to its radar signature?

(If the answer is "yes," it's time to get one for that container ship of yours. I recommend a Firdell Blipper--it may not add anything to your visibility, but it sounds kinda cool, don't it?)
Old 19-02-2013, 21:13   #411

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We're talking a 75' steel hull displacing 250,000 lbs. Do you really think a radar reflector is going to add to its radar signature?

(If the answer is "yes," it's time to get one for that container ship of yours. I recommend a Firdell Blipper--it may not add anything to your visibility, but it sounds kinda cool, don't it?)
I understood what you said and agreed. Then I referenced what a small 'glass sailboat gives as a signature. A 75' steel hull would show up just fine even with a lot of sea clutter.

People ask me if reflectors work on their small boats, yes they do about 1 in 20 sweeps.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:05   #412

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Perhaps I misunderstood GG's intent from her previous posts but I was under the impression that she wanted to moor the boat on the northeastern shore of the US as her primary residence for her family of 5, including her mother. I had not thought that she intended to do some extensive offshore cruising except to deliver her new home from wherever she purchased it back to the NE US. If my understanding was correct, I still feel that the Hatteras would be a very viable option both from a location standpoint minimizing cost of delivery, ammenities, ease of living aboard, maintenance, as well as offshore capable if she took the notion to cruise, say, the Caribbean. Steel vs fiberglass, I'd vote for FG.
However, if she has fallen in love with the steel boat which I gather is located offshore, she should probably follow her heart. Otherwise she will always be thinking about what might have been. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:09   #413

If the 82 foot Hatt has a John Deere 4045DTFM installed producing 120 horsepowre as a third engine for displacement speeds, burning about 6 gallons per hour at 9 knots with the two Detroit 12V71 reserved for water skiing, the slobbering problem is taken care of. Think of the wake jumping you could do with those big engines running.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:57   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Like I said Bob, for me too many needle gun hours on steel ships for me to embrace them for personal use, plus they are heavy.
With your statement here, decided to google CF about various hull materials. Looks like fiberglass can take the most abuse. If properly prepared and maintained, steel and wood can compete, but be careful about the inspection: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-91703.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-54900.html
Old 21-02-2013, 10:20   #415

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
If the 82 foot Hatt has a John Deere 4045DTFM installed producing 120 horsepowre as a third engine for displacement speeds, burning about 6 gallons per hour at 9 knots with the two Detroit 12V71 reserved for water skiing, the slobbering problem is taken care of. Think of the wake jumping you could do with those big engines running.
20 years ago I spent 8 months crewing on a 88 footer (18' stretch on 70' Westport hull) that I helped build. The thing had 8v92's (twin turbo, 750 h.p. each). At full speed of 18 knots, the swim step was three feet below sea level. The wake looked like Hawaii's Pipeline (slight exaggeration). The owner/driver of the vessel "marched to his own drum" and frequently drew out the middle finger of the owners of boats and docks that we passed.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:30   #416
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

20 years ago I spent 8 months crewing on a 88 footer (18' stretch on 70' Westport hull) that I helped build. The thing had 8v92's (twin turbo, 750 h.p. each). At full speed of 18 knots, the swim step was three feet below sea level. The wake looked like Hawaii's Pipeline (slight exaggeration). The owner/driver of the vessel "marched to his own drum" and frequently drew out the middle finger of the owners of boats and docks that we passed.

Steve
Sounds like a badazz cruiser
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:46   #417

There are motor-generator sets that take 60 Hertz and convert to 50 Hertz. Looks like a good way to have a trawler setup for 50 Hertz at a marina that has 60 Hertz power. These can also be setup to isolate the two sides like an isolaiton transformer would do.
Power line isolators & power line conditioners
Georator build part

Here's a second supplier but not sure about isolaiton setup:
Motor Generators, Motor Generator From Visicomm Industries
Old 12-03-2013, 17:47   #418

I did a search on motor sailer 4 and 5 cabins steel and got several hits. I am thinking a motorsailer with short mast is much like a trawler with sail stabilization so possibly worth consideration

1992 Motor Sailer Steel 80 | Carnival Cruises, Cruises, Cruise Deals and Cheap Cruises, Cruise Reviews and Videos four cabins

1982 Gallian Motorsailer | Carnival Cruises, Cruises, Cruise Deals and Cheap Cruises, Cruise Reviews and Videos five cabins
Old 12-03-2013, 19:45   #419

The motorsailer is designed to go downwind with the westerlies with higher cabins that let in more light. Here's another:

Long Range Steel Cruise Motorsailer Trawler For Sale - Buy Trawler Product on Alibaba.com
five cabins, EUR 160,000 $208,574.54 US Dollars
Old 22-03-2013, 19:18   #420
Marine Service Provider

Any new news?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle