Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 20:01   #241
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
GG
Hope it works out for you. Suggest you get your surveyor to estimate cost of repairs and maintenance that he will inevitably list, and which your insurance company will likely require to be completed. Or get some quotes at wherever the boat is located. It can add up to large sums pretty quickly.
sure will, thanks.
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:16   #242
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: No longer Overwhelmed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
As a boater for over 60 years and coming from a professional maritime family, I find, without question, this entire thread to be preposterous. I don't like to rain on anyone's parade, but, this woman is going to be a hazard to navigation. I've followed the entire thread and the whole thing is just so far out that it defies description. The entire concept is over the top. GG indicates that financing is not a concern but then indicates that she found a boat within her "budget." People who really do buy boats like what she is describing, don't have a budget. Anyone can get experience and I hope she does before someone gets hurt. For those of us who have lived aboard for extended periods of time, we know that it's not for everyone. Living aboard in New England during the winter would be a challenge for the most experienced boater.
Naysayer, nayser, fly away home.

Sorry...You're too late. We passed the "She's crazy, Can't be done" stage a couple of weeks ago. We are now at "Helpful advice during purchase".
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:20   #243
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: No longer Overwhelmed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Welcome to CF Barpilot….. hope you found a comfortable mattress for your own PWB.
Seems like you might need a few good night’s sleep to remind you what it is like to take a dream and make it your goal…

We have all been there and some of us still remember the ridicule of those who underestimated us

Galaxy Girl.... best of luck in finding the right boat... we are here to help!
Nick
Thank You Nick!!!
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:37   #244
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I had a brief conversation with the NA/Builder. He says the boat burns 4 gallons per hr at 8 knots with a 4,000 mile range. He said slow down to 6 knots and double the range. It has twin John Deere engines and the entire boat is spray insulated. Engine room is also insulated. I was VERY pleased with this info, which of course, I will verify with the surveyor. The insulation was a nice surprise, as our winters in New England can get pretty ugly.
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:11   #245
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,712
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Here's the part of your plan that seems questionable to me: the hiring of a delivery skipper who is qualified also to teach you everything you're going to need to know--in two months! It seems to me that you're looking at this like a person purchasing a large SUV, in that there is the underlying assumption that all you do is drive it around and take it into the shop when it needs it. There's a lot more to seamanship than just learning the rules of the road. Possibly that is part of Bar Pilot's concern.

In terms of underlying assumptions that others might question is that if you have large funds, you can pay for whatever needs to be fixed. For the very wealthy, if they have a conscience, then the thing you can never "fix" with money is the sadness to horror you might feel having caused an accident in which young people were crippled or slain. ...Bar Pilot knows of times this has happened -- and so do I.

So say "fly away nay sayers!" if you wish, but there are a lot of un-addressed issues here.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II
__________________
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:44   #246
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I had a brief conversation with the NA/Builder. He says the boat burns 4 gallons per hr at 8 knots with a 4,000 mile range. He said slow down to 6 knots and double the range. It has twin John Deere engines and the entire boat is spray insulated. Engine room is also insulated. I was VERY pleased with this info, which of course, I will verify with the surveyor. The insulation was a nice surprise, as our winters in New England can get pretty ugly.
I'd love to see a nice sailing-vs-trawling sequence about this point. Fuel isn't going to get any cheaper in the future. This is such a massive financial obligation, IMO. Sure, you've got access to money today, but how fragile is that? In this economy, you can be frozen out of a market in a few years based on global competition. It only takes 2 or 3 months for the Indian outplacement firms to spin up a new practice.

Maybe GG has access to a guaranteed stream of income, perhaps she's won a lottery, but for my money, I'd hate to be saddled with a $16/hr money-burner whether I have the money or not - particularly when you are plodding along at barely-better-than-lagoon speeds. I believe a well equipped sailing cat with wind can do much than 8 knots - What speed does 4 gph translate to in a sailing cat under motor?
__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:55   #247
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Here's the part of your plan that seems questionable to me: the hiring of a delivery skipper who is qualified also to teach you everything you're going to need to know--in two months! It seems to me that you're looking at this like a person purchasing a large SUV, in that there is the underlying assumption that all you do is drive it around and take it into the shop when it needs it. There's a lot more to seamanship than just learning the rules of the road. Possibly that is part of Bar Pilot's concern.

In terms of underlying assumptions that others might question is that if you have large funds, you can pay for whatever needs to be fixed. For the very wealthy, if they have a conscience, then the thing you can never "fix" with money is the sadness to horror you might feel having caused an accident in which young people were crippled or slain. ...Bar Pilot knows of times this has happened -- and so do I.

So say "fly away nay sayers!" if you wish, but there are a lot of un-addressed issues here.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II

Maybe you should go back and read the ENTIRE thread before commenting. I'm not going to explain my position, yet again, to someone who is late in the game.
I think that some of you out there either have horribly miserable lives and take pleasure from annoying others, or maybe believe there is no room left at sea for a new boater, in your twisted ways of thinking. I suppose you were never a new boater yourself? You popped out of your mama's belly holding an oar, right?
You know of the "horror" of boating accidents, huh? I am concerned about your ability to sail and endangering my family.
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 22:06   #248
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I'd love to see a nice sailing-vs-trawling sequence about this point. Fuel isn't going to get any cheaper in the future. This is such a massive financial obligation, IMO. Sure, you've got access to money today, but how fragile is that? In this economy, you can be frozen out of a market in a few years based on global competition. It only takes 2 or 3 months for the Indian outplacement firms to spin up a new practice.

Maybe GG has access to a guaranteed stream of income, perhaps she's won a lottery, but for my money, I'd hate to be saddled with a $16/hr money-burner whether I have the money or not - particularly when you are plodding along at barely-better-than-lagoon speeds. I believe a well equipped sailing cat with wind can do much than 8 knots - What speed does 4 gph translate to in a sailing cat under motor?
I respect your perspective, on the sail vs. power argument, but, sail just isn't for everyone. Certainly not me. There will always be a what if, and life is just way too short too worry about everything that could possibly go wrong. I could die with all my money in the bank being afraid to spend any of it. You can't take it with you, remember? So, are you going to enjoy your short time on this planet, or sit in your rocker, old, wrinkled, sucking on a pipe and wondering what you could have done?
__________________
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 22:18   #249
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I respect your perspective, on the sail vs. power argument, but, sail just isn't for everyone. Certainly not me. There will always be a what if, and life is just way too short too worry about everything that could possibly go wrong. I could die with all my money in the bank being afraid to spend any of it. You can't take it with you, remember? So, are you going to enjoy your short time on this planet, or sit in your rocker, old, wrinkled, sucking on a pipe and wondering what you could have done?
I agree with the sentiment, but I'm in my rocking chair now wondering what I could have done in a trawler that I could not have done under sail. At 8 knots, I'm not seeing any quantitative benefit, though I can respect that some people just don't want a sailboat... I know I don't like motoring, even if there is a quantitative benefit at the time!

Here's one "what if" you don't have to worry about. It's much easier to lose money and suffer declining incomes than it is to find money and experience accidental increases in income. Though trends vary across the decades, one general trend remains true - death, taxes, or inflation will get you in the end - maybe all three!
__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 22:29   #250
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Hey guys,

It is all academic at this point. GG has set her mind on boating, if she chooses a 120,000 lb displacement trawler, then her insurance underwriter will cover her when she meets their requirements, until then it will be her hire that will be USCG licensed. Florida is full of power boaters with no license because their vessels can be insured for liability with minimum skipper requirements due to their pleasure boat status and size. This is just one of the reasons I've tried to talk her down in displacement, but she knows what she wants, and that is 100,000+ lb displacement boat.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38   #251
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,466
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Maybe you should go back and read the ENTIRE thread before commenting. I'm not going to explain my position, yet again, to someone who is late in the game.
I think that some of you out there either have horribly miserable lives and take pleasure from annoying others, or maybe believe there is no room left at sea for a new boater, in your twisted ways of thinking. I suppose you were never a new boater yourself? You popped out of your mama's belly holding an oar, right?
You know of the "horror" of boating accidents, huh? I am concerned about your ability to sail and endangering my family.
Well GeeGee, as it happens Ann didn't come into the sailing world until about 30 years ago, so no oar grasping birth was involved. During those years she worked her way up from rail meat on small racing boats to being a competent skipper/navigator/cruiser. She has now logged well over 100,000 miles and has earned the position of questioning your plans to start from scratch in a large and powerful motor yacht. I sincerely doubt that she will be a major threat to your family's safety.

As for myself, I think that you will need more than a two month delivery trip to become a well versed skipper, to say nothing of learning to maintain the various systems that comprise a vessel such as you are purchasing. You sound like an intelligent and generally competent person, one that has succeeded in many endeavours in life. This background could lead you into underestimating the rigours of the tasks that you face. Time will tell, and honestly, I hope that you are successful and happy in your new life with your kids. I'm just not certain that that's how it will play out.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:58   #252
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I see some valid concerns in the last several posts, but GG is not, IMHO, going overboard. The two month delivery is indeed time enough to learn the basics if she is a quick study. It's not like she is going to immediately load up the groceries and circumnavigate. Once safely docked she will have plenty of time to take baby steps... a well-concieved day trip out in the bay, an anchoring drill, a little sunning or fishing, plenty of time for baby steps. There has been enough discouragement and enough ENcouragement. Now it is time to offer support with well-thought advice and answers to the questions that she doesn't know to ask just yet. I think this can work.

Anyone who really thinks they know better, might ought to volunteer to crew on the delivery, because it is probably gonna happen. If not with this boat, then another one. She has got the bug.

As for sail vs power, I think everyone knows where I stand on that issue, but you can't ram sail down her throat and expect her to just take it. Maybe she will get curious and come around to the light one day. Meanwhile she is comfortable with the idea of starting the engines and turning the steering wheel, but not with staysails and mizzens and sheets and halyards and vangs and cunninghams and outhauls and dutchmans and lazy jacks and travelers and such. I say let it go.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22   #253
Registered User
 
Greggegner's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Why over play this? GG isn't leaving for a round the world by herself after two months stepping on the boat. It will take time to develop the skills, but taking a 100k pound boat out on a nice day in the harbor isn't that dangerous to the people on board. The dock might get a bang when she gets back. As long as she continues to match her trips to her skill this just isn't that bad.
__________________
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:06   #254
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I dont beleive the stated fuel burn can be near correct, maybe 4 gph per engine? It seems this large boat is more fuel thrifty than a marine trader 40? Correct me if I'm wrong but a lehman 120 in a MT uses 2.2 gph at just under 5 kts, 5.3 at 8ish and creeps to 7.3 gph at full throttle, roughly a bit over 10 kts. and this is per engine. Now in dead calm these will be slightly lower. I recently met a fellow who did a delivery in less then ideal conditions, bash through large waves and wind, to maintain a decent speed and steerage he ran it pretty hard and used around 6 gph per engine. Theres no way GGs crew could live in 40' MT, so I'm guessing her new boat will be much large. How then can it use so little fuel? Does 4 gph seem low to anyone else for a boat this size?
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48   #255
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
There's a whole lot of pontificating going on in this thread...
__________________

beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.