Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2007, 15:42   #1
cruiser

Commercial Boat Svcs In VA Area?

One of the big, bad commercial powerboats I'm looking at converting is in VA. It's a government surplus vessel. It currently has no power, but I think it has a propshaft and prop. We'll see when I go take a visit next week.

Anyway, it looks like I have to move the vessel over to some commercial marina and install an engine over there. I'm looking at installing a 250hp Detroit Diesel (Pat, pipe in any time about the DDs).

Does anyone know of any commercial marine yards in VA? I don't even know the exact location of this govt vessel yet, but I'm going to find that out soon. I probably need a tow over to the commercial yard and then a crane and probably some welding and engine mount help since I won't have much in the way of tools with me, should I buy it.

Does anyone know any commercial yards down there?

Also, see additional thread on powering the beast...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 16:58   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I just noticed that every boat you are considering doesn't have a mast!!

What's up with that?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 03:36   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
I just noticed that every boat you are considering doesn't have a mast!!

What's up with that?
Good observation, Rick!

It's because we did what you are supposed to do when planning to puchase a vessel. We started from scratch and said, "what are we using this boat for?"

Answer?

We are using it as a floating home to work from for 10+ years. We will keep it in the Northeast USA and *possibly* ship it over to Europe to putter around the canals if we make enough $$ - but probably not. We will likely just live and work from the boat for a long LONG time to come.

We also analyzed our current use of our great sailling cruising yacht. What does it do? It sits at anchor while we work. We don't sail. When you live aboard and work, you don't have time to putter around sailing. Also, it's the last thing you want to do. You are more inclined to take a vacation to go skiing or to hike mountains than to go out sailing because you LIVE on the water. Going sailing loses its charm as a vacation and becomes a chore.

So with that analysis in place, we need a floating island to live and work from. If it doesn't go places often, there is no diesel consumption. Why bother messing around with sails?

Make sense?

PS: I have been an avid sailor for more than 20 years. If I get the "urge" to go... I figure I'll keep a little Laser or something on this new boat, or rent one out for the day.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote