Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 19:36   #1

Coast Guard Auxiliary

Since my boat is not fixable for this season, I was thinking about volunteering with the local Coast Guard Auxiliary. The Flotilla that I was looking at is not on the coast. It is geared for inland lakes with a focus on boater education.

I would like to get feedback (both pro's and con's) and what to expect in joining the Auxiliary.

Thanks for the help.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Coast Guard Auxiliary

Go to a meeting, listen to what your local unit is involved with, meet the people doing the stuff you'd like to do. That will give you the best idea of where (and if) you'll fit in.

Like any volunteer organization, the Auxiliary is what the individuals in your local unit make it. It's the people who make or break the comradery and sense of accomplishment you get from participating.

If you like to do public education, be aware that there's a qualification process. Professional qualifications (teacher or instructor in the business world) may speed things up, but the Auxiliary has their own way of doing everything, so don't expect to be turned loose on a class right away.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote