Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2008, 16:20   #16

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I used paint for many years which I found needed reapplying very often as we anchor alot when away, until was suggested by another to try the plastic link insert markers one can buy but to epoxy them in. They have been successful with none coming out (but I think they are only available for up to 3/8 inch chain or thereabouts). I can never remember the colours in the heat of the moment so have a laminated card mounted where I can see it through the hatch.
Can you explain and/or give a link as to what this plastic link insert marker is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
For our own anchoring needs we have markings every 10m starting at 20m, with last at 60m. Chain length is 75m and I have the last 2 metres or so painted white (epoxy undercoat lasts forever) so I don't accidently run it all out of the locker being left with the short rope bitter end piece out over the windlass gypsy, especially at night or in heavy weather when it is a hard job manhandling chain back onto the boat to get it back onto the gypsy.
Have others had good success with other paint types (besides epoxy undercoat mentioned above) and what is the best prep for the different paints when the anchor chain is galvanized?

Thanks all,
Extemp.

Old 07-12-2008, 16:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Paint never last very long and just try to figure it out in the dark. IMO not for serious anchoring. Use a method that will be obvious and can be determined at night and even by feel if necessary. But be sure it will run through the windlass.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 17:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Can you explain and/or give a link as to what this plastic link insert marker is?
The ones we see here in the chandlers are by Oscalati Nautica segna catena 6 mm bianco .

As Chuck says, anything relying on colour can be difficult at night unless you have good deck lighting (we can floodlight our decks to almost like day). But even in the day it is easy to miss the plastic markers if one lets the anchor freefall very fast but that no real problem as it is easy enough to winch the surplus chain back in again if one loses track of the markers. I will keep using them in the future.

But beyond the above we cannot use anything that extends outside of the chain links as markers as they won't fit reliably down our chain pipe (common on vertical windlasses having an integral chain pipe with a 90 degree bend in it) and may be something for others to watch out for.
Old 07-12-2008, 18:01   #19
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the problem with color systems...

...is that you screw yourself up when you reverse the chain to extend its life. A better system is to go with a white section of ten links every ten meters. Then just count how many white streaks play out. The added bonus is that this is a much better system at night, especially if you have to re-anchor and the chain is muddy.
Old 07-12-2008, 19:18   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
We sprayed about 6 links with orange epoxy paint every 25 feet then put one white band of 4-5 links on each side of the orange band for every 100 feet (at 100 ft: white-orange-white; at 200 ft: white-white-orange-white-white, etc.). The orange paint is readily visible even in low-light conditions. We repaint every couple of years, depending on wear.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 19:22   #21

My markings noted below are 15" for each color. Hard to miss when each marking consists of 2 and is over 2 1/2' long. you can see these with a flash light or moonlight, but no marking is visible in blackness. My double yellow is easy to note because it's the lightest pairing and I usually set down 100' and when I end for end it's still double yellow to be 100'.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:39   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A chain marking system ~ By Andina Foster
Anchor Chain Marking System

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05   #23
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
- Can you explain and/or give a link as to what this plastic link insert marker is?
-The ones we see here in the chandlers are by Oscalati Nautica
Have a look at:

Rainbow Chain Markers

You may have more chance to find them on Google under the brand name OSCULATI:
segna catena 6 mm bianco

You may also try:

SwissTech Shop - Kettenmarkierungen 8mm

Joćo Nodari
Old 08-12-2008, 16:50   #24

Andina Foster's system makes no sense to me or I would forget it and it would be hard to explain to someone else who was tasked with laying out the chain.

I'm prejudiced - my system is simple, elegant, you don't have to paint it and buy special markers - just three different colors of "small stuff" and it is completely windlass friendly.
Old 08-12-2008, 20:48   #25

Haven't work this out on paper yet to see if it could work or makes ANY sense but I'll through it out there anyway.
What if you use a different colour for each depth of water that one might anchor in. For example, for 10 to 15 feet of water (use 12 ft average) you might use the colour green. You would then use 1 tag, flag or paint strip for a 5 to 1 scope, 2 tags, flags, or paint strips for a 7 to 1 scope and 3 tags, flags, or paint strips for for a 10 to 1 scope.
You would to the same for 20 feet of water but use a different colour and from there you might jump to 30 feet (use a third colour) and then go to 50 feet for the theoretical depth.
Those with more experience may choose different depths (guidance accepted), but what do you think.
Of course you would have a corresponding chart to tell you what amount of chain is actually out if you require.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 08-12-2008, 20:57   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
This whole thing seems that it can get extremely complicated. Anchoring among other things should be simplified as much as possible and some of these ideas, I would not be able to keep straight let alone try and explain it to someone else.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 21:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
This whole thing seems that it can get extremely complicated. Anchoring among other things should be simplified as much as possible and some of these ideas, I would not be able to keep straight let alone try and explain it to someone else.
Well I won't defend it as I was just trying to think outside the box and haven't given it that much thought.
However, I kind of thought it was simpler then knowing the length (feet) of chain to count and watch for. You would just need to know the depth of water your anchoring in and you would always need to know that. Then the scope ratio you want out and you would always need to know that. Then your just watching for a single colour (one, two or three stripes or tags).
I guess you could get in some real trouble if you forgot the colour you were going for.
Anyone else?

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 09-12-2008, 21:27   #28

Too much time on your hands?

Not exact and may not be the right water depth to target.
Anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Scope Chain Marking.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	6151  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:39   #29

My crib sheet for anchoring:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf anchor 5-1 v12.pdf (123.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Too cool, defjef !

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: