Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42   #1

Caterpilla Engine Question?

Hello gals and guys,

I have a few questions about Cat engines if anyone has any experience with these engines and would like to chime in.

How many hours would you say until an overhaul is needed?

I've heard many a time that DD run forever if cared for, is this the same for Cats?

Why does everyone say that Cats are top shelf?

What exactly is done during an overhaul? How much do they cost roughly?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45   #2
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Caterpilla Engine Question?

i am a diesel mechanic, but need a ton more information.
model would be a good start, otherwise an overhaul can run form $8000 for an inline 6 to $250,000 for the V12 from a dozer.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Cats in general are good and will run forever if well cared for, too... although they've had a (very few) not so good. Would need model info.

Detroits are 2-stroke, so potentially a little slobbery (a technical term)...

-Chris
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
On a commercial fishing vessel Cats are regularly seen with 15000-20000 hours before an overhaul.
That being said, commercial engines are de-rated in both hp and rotational speed from their pleasure craft rated brethren. What I'm trying to say is a pleasure craft operated in a manner that keeps the engines operating under less stress than full throttle all the time will last longer. In essence the answer is it depends.
Cats vs Detroits. Cars are 4 stroke, Detroits are usually thought if a 2 stroke (with the MTU exception and newer models). A 4 stroke will be both quieter and more efficient in the size range your looking at, 2 strokes can produce more power from a smaller engine, sometimes.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 19:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i am a diesel mechanic, but need a ton more information.
model would be a good start, otherwise an overhaul can run form $8000 for an inline 6 to $250,000 for the V12 from a dozer.
Caterpillar model 3406, six cylinder
Old 07-07-2013, 19:52   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Hours?
Old 07-07-2013, 20:32   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Very common engine with some known issues. Used in f650, fl60 trucks. Its a love hate engine. Google "3406 common issues"
Old 07-07-2013, 20:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Very common engine with some known issues. Used in f650, fl60 trucks. Its a love hate engine. Google "3406 common issues"
Scoobert, both the 3306 and 3406 are not the best truck engines. They don't seem to like the variable loading. However, in genset or marine applications where they run at a more or less constant loading 90% of the time, they can go 50,000 hours. IMHO, this makes them one of the best trawler engines out there, but then I would think so. I have a 3306.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:58   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Scoobert, both the 3306 and 3406 are not the best truck engines. They don't seem to like the variable loading. However, in genset or marine applications where they run at a more or less constant loading 90% of the time, they can go 50,000 hours. IMHO, this makes them one of the best trawler engines out there, but then I would think so. I have a 3306.
:P as i said, love-hate. Your on the love side. Personally i would have a cummins. But i am a cummins fan boy. I am sure the engine will be fine as long as you get lucky and get a good one. Rebuild will cost 8-12,000.
Old 08-07-2013, 17:37   #10

Quote:
Hours?
2000 hours
Old 08-07-2013, 17:44   #11

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic.

Delfin, did you recently add an avatar pic? I'm very surprised that I havn't noticed your boat before.

Awesome! Seems a lot like what I have been heading toward. Is it steel or wood? Actually, it reminds me of that wood Malahide I that I really liked.
Old 08-07-2013, 17:57   #12

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic.

Delfin, did you recently add an avatar pic? I'm very surprised that I havn't noticed your boat before.

Awesome! Seems a lot like what I have been heading toward. Is it steel or wood? Actually, it reminds me of that wood Malahide I that I really liked.
2000 hours would the Dixon 63 on Yachtworld, I assume. While Scoobert is correct that there are mixed feelings on the CAT 3406, I have spoken with the original designers of the engine, who confessed they really built it for the specific purpose of powering gensets and being able to tolerate low power loads for long periods of time. This was because the engine was developed for the North Slope pipeline project, where equipment was never turned off for months at a time and had to be able to coast along without getting completely gummed up. When put in a truck it could develop issues, and in some dozers depending on on the transmission (I gather). In a genset, they routinely go 35,000 to up to 60,000 hours, which is a couple of lifetimes for most trawler owners whose use mimics that of a genset. At least that's what I was told, and this was confirmed by our local IH dealer we bought a lot of trucks from. This is kind of similar to the Lehman 135 that was a complete flop as a truck engine, but is a standard in many cruising boats. Different loading makes a big difference in longevity.

Delfin is steel, and her website has a fair amount of information on her and other Romsdals, which are cousins to the Malahide.
Old 08-07-2013, 18:16   #13

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Personally I like the Magnetohydrodynamic Drive, silent and undetectable!!

Oh! You meant the other type of Caterpillar.
Old 08-07-2013, 18:50   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GG, Those Cat engines have been in PNW fishing boats for a long time, and have proven to be very long running engines. Cat also has a pretty fair parts program world wide! It helps if ya really maintain them with good oil and filters. Most well bilt boats of the type your looking for, have hands off oil changeing systems bilt in to there engine room, which helps out a big bunch for someone like yourself. Except for the smaller V-8 "3208 " Cat engines, most of the Marine Cat engines have very long life historys. Just an old diesel mechanics 2 cents
Old 09-07-2013, 16:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
GG, Those Cat engines have been in PNW fishing boats for a long time, and have proven to be very long running engines. Cat also has a pretty fair parts program world wide! It helps if ya really maintain them with good oil and filters. Most well bilt boats of the type your looking for, have hands off oil changeing systems bilt in to there engine room, which helps out a big bunch for someone like yourself. Except for the smaller V-8 "3208 " Cat engines, most of the Marine Cat engines have very long life historys. Just an old diesel mechanics 2 cents
Hands off oil changing. Sounds good to me!

Tags
engine