Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 18:15   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Captain Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a great delivery captain out of Florida with lots of experience? If you know someone, please pm me. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 20:00   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
beachbum29's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 106
Did you buy a boat?
__________________

beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:02   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
Everestmaritime's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Since you are probably going to need a captain up in Boston anyway, why not try to find somebody locally. This way you will get to know them before the trip.
Also, about painting the bottom, have you thought about doing it yourself? It is a great DIY project for a beginner and will save you a lot of money.
__________________
Everestmaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:13   #4
Registered User
 
CPseudonym's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Boat: Owens
Posts: 204
What happened to your friend that was a captain, female acquaintance if I recall. Finding a delivery captain in Florida is almost as difficult as finding a cab in New York City. There will be a bulletin board in the marina office with about 20 cards pinned to it. Ask the harbor master sitting behind the desk which one he would recommend to narrow it down to 5-6 for you to call.
__________________
Insert witty line here

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:21   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,769
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Captain Recommendation

if you have a facebook account, this guy has been around a while and is a good soul--sails well also----

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.rust.986?fref=ts
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:32   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 371
Re: Captain Recommendation

GG
You are either looking at a "fast" trip offshore, non-stop, 24x7, to Boston, that will take 8 days, or a slow trip via the ICW that will take about 4 weeks. Both figures assume 7kt cruise. The "fast" trip assumes you really have a vessel in condition and upkeep ready to run 24x7 offshore a couple hundred miles in a beeline from FL to Block Island , then up the coast to Boston. So, you will either need a captain for a week or a month. Figure that a captain will also most likely insist on a "mate" since there is no experience on your side, and may not take kindly to having too many passengers (kids). The cost for the slow trip could be significant. The risk for the fast trip could be significant unless you ensure the boats condition and maintenance, and have a suitable weather window (no hurricanes) before departure.
Also, you might check out the postings on this site related to FL taxes etc in the event the boat does not leave FL within 30 days of purchase.
As usual, not trying to be negative, just realistic.
__________________
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:36   #7
Registered User
 
rw58ph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Posts: 485
Re: Captain Recommendation

I would find one in you area as you will probably need one later Al they probably can recommend other service, mechic yard, heater installer etc.
__________________
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:42   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 371
Re: Captain Recommendation

I think the roles of delivery captain/crew are not necessarily the same as the "teacher" you will need In Boston. No real benefit from trying to combine. Your delivery captain should also get involved in making sure the vessel is seaworthy enough for the trip, so having a local FL captain may be an advantage - somebody who could supervise repairs/maintenance between the purchase and departure from FL.
__________________
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:26   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Captain Recommendation

Sent you another PM with a recommendation. Just what your looking for. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:00   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Captain Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG
You are either looking at a "fast" trip offshore, non-stop, 24x7, to Boston, that will take 8 days, or a slow trip via the ICW that will take about 4 weeks. Both figures assume 7kt cruise. The "fast" trip assumes you really have a vessel in condition and upkeep ready to run 24x7 offshore a couple hundred miles in a beeline from FL to Block Island , then up the coast to Boston. So, you will either need a captain for a week or a month. Figure that a captain will also most likely insist on a "mate" since there is no experience on your side, and may not take kindly to having too many passengers (kids). The cost for the slow trip could be significant. The risk for the fast trip could be significant unless you ensure the boats condition and maintenance, and have a suitable weather window (no hurricanes) before departure.
Also, you might check out the postings on this site related to FL taxes etc in the event the boat does not leave FL within 30 days of purchase.
As usual, not trying to be negative, just realistic.
Chris,
This info is not negative at all!!! It's great, in fact, thanks.

I did figure that the captain would probably want a mate and most of my kids will not accompany, so I should be good there
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:04   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Captain Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I think the roles of delivery captain/crew are not necessarily the same as the "teacher" you will need In Boston. No real benefit from trying to combine. Your delivery captain should also get involved in making sure the vessel is seaworthy enough for the trip, so having a local FL captain may be an advantage - somebody who could supervise repairs/maintenance between the purchase and departure from FL.
YUP! This is why I decided to go with a Florida based captain, rather than Boston based. I figure that I can have the captain check the boat out, make recommendations and check any work done before departure. It will be easier if they are already in Florida.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:07   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Captain Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
What happened to your friend that was a captain, female acquaintance if I recall. Finding a delivery captain in Florida is almost as difficult as finding a cab in New York City. There will be a bulletin board in the marina office with about 20 cards pinned to it. Ask the harbor master sitting behind the desk which one he would recommend to narrow it down to 5-6 for you to call.
She just had a baby Bad Timing.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:14   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 777
Re: Captain Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everestmaritime View Post
Since you are probably going to need a captain up in Boston anyway, why not try to find somebody locally. This way you will get to know them before the trip.
Also, about painting the bottom, have you thought about doing it yourself? It is a great DIY project for a beginner and will save you a lot of money.
I thought about painting the bottom myself. I figured that I had better watch the pros do it the first time, then I will know exactly how for next time

I would be unsure of how much to sand the bottom.
__________________
GalaxyGirl
5KidsAndaBoat
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:21   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 371
Re: Captain Recommendation

Trust me!!! You never even want to consider painting the bottom of a 65ft trawler unless you are in dire financial straits!! Mind you if you can encourage the kids to do it, that's different!!
__________________
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:51   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,769
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Captain Recommendation

gg--both the guys i sent ye can and do cover everything you will need ---as well as teaching nicely.
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain, men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.