Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 04:32   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Capt. Allan

Allan, sometimes you can find manufacturer's performance curves (including fuel consumption curves), maybe online...

That would at least give you predicted consumption at various RPMs, regardless of boat, tonnage, displacement, props, etc.

Ours, for example, says 1.9 Gal/hour at 1000 RPMs. (FWIW, it happens with both engines at 1000 RPMs gives us roughly 7 knots in our boat, so 3.8 GPH total, and roughly 1.8 NMPG.)

-Chris
Old 13-08-2013, 03:45   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captseamus View Post
running only one engine will get you a burnt tranny on the stopped engine after a very short period of time if your running Paragon's transmissions. Don't run with only one engine without idling the other engine for transmission lubing.
WHy not put the stopped engine in reverse so the prop doesn't move?

Am i missing something?
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 06:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post
WHy not put the stopped engine in reverse so the prop doesn't move?

Am i missing something?

Depends on the transmission. The "moving" or "not moving" part isn't usually the real crux of the issue; it's usually more about lubrication. Manufacturer's recommendations for our units says it's OK to idle (troll) on one engine -- with the other stopped -- under most circumstances but different units may behave differently.

FWIW, reversing on one gear wouldn't actually stop our prop. Engine torque is such that it would actually spin in reverse even at idle.

Bottom line is usually that the manufacturer has a clue, and will share that when asked.

-Chris
Old 13-08-2013, 06:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Depends on the transmission. The "moving" or "not moving" part isn't usually the real crux of the issue; it's usually more about lubrication. Manufacturer's recommendations for our units says it's OK to idle (troll) on one engine -- with the other stopped -- under most circumstances but different units may behave differently.

FWIW, reversing on one gear wouldn't actually stop our prop. Engine torque is such that it would actually spin in reverse even at idle.

Bottom line is usually that the manufacturer has a clue, and will share that when asked.

-Chris
Wow...i wonder why putting my transmissions in reverse going 12kts sailing and they don't turn...guess I got lots to learn...

Sorry to steal the thread a bit....but does anyone recommend a good motor yacht website? We are looking to learn more(looking at carvers & sunseekers 50'+)

Cheers

David
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 07:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post
Wow...i wonder why putting my transmissions in reverse going 12kts sailing and they don't turn...guess I got lots to learn...

Sorry to steal the thread a bit....but does anyone recommend a good motor yacht website? We are looking to learn more(looking at carvers & sunseekers 50'+)

Cheers

David

Engine torque can be your friend... unless it's working against what you want to do

You might try here: YachtForums - An Online Yachting Magazine Not a huge amount of traffic, but some; might have some Sunseeker info.

Here BoaterEd has a subsection for Carvers. Not lots of participation, but some... and mention of Carvers is not uncommon in the general sections, too. Can't remember if there's a real "owners' club" out there somewhere, but a dock neighbor with a Carver makes it sound like perhaps not so much...

-Chris
Old 13-08-2013, 07:26   #21

Yacht forums...I see ranger42c beat me to it. But be advised, it seems to be a tight network over there. More like a feeding frenzy and a dog pile. I saw them rip a friend to shreds even though he has all the licensing (rigger, +3,000 tons, mega yacht skipper, etc) and more blue water experience than you can shake a stick at. For networking be very, very careful.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote