Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 07:47   #1
CCG

Canvas or Hardtop?

Hi all. I hope I'm on the right topic site. I own a 381 Chris Craft Catalina, 1989. The canvas is in fair condition, but the problem is, the visibility from the helm is terrible! While at the helm I can see just the top of the windshield and then the canvas starts. I had an estimate to have it reframed and with new canvas and eisenglass from the windshield up a few feet. I'm also considering a hardtop but not sure how that would change the appearance of the boat's lines. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else able to resolve this problem? There is a pic in my album portfolio with me at the helm, so you'll see what I mean.

Any suggestions are welcome!, please! I plan to cruise up the intercoastal soon and want to have this done before the trip.
CCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:47   #2

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Re: Canvas or Hardtop?

We love our hardtop, but considering the expense, I would be inclined to just raise the front of the top to increase headroom and visibility take a look at this one: 38' Chris Craft 381 Catalina Photo 1 photo
as an example of what I am talking about. Love those CC's.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:50   #3
CCG

That's it! That is exactly what I want! I will need a new windshield though. I just paid to have it reset after I transported it by truck (had to take it off for transport). Do you happen to know of anyone who could do that kind of work and you would recommend? I have a 5k quote on just reframing and new canvas, but what I want is in the pic you sent. Once I get her renamed and restriped, she would look like a new boat.

LOVE MY CHRIS CRAFT!!!
CCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 12:59   #4

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

You don't need a new windshield! The added clear part is included with and part of the canvas top (Eisenglass or similar) and just attaches to the top of the windshield you already have. $5K could be the right price or not, I can't say, the price on tops is dependent on the material used (1" or 1.125" stainless for frames for exampe) and number of windows. there are many fabrics with varying costs. We just had our enclosures replaced and chose "Stamoid" material but it was 20% higher than the "Sunbrella" material we had in the pas, so all that comes in to play. Just ask around the docks there are good canvas shops all over, I think.

Tags
canvas

« SIBs | LA to Hawaii »