Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 17:43   #16

Re: Can You Sail (only) On This ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
....powercat that is claiming 8MPG running 6kts with one engine. i dont want to call him a liar, but it seems a bit off....
Let's see.... 6 knots is just under 7 miles (6.9046767 to be more accurate). Divide that by your 8 mpg to get your gph fuel consumption = just over 0.86 gph.

I suppose it could happen depending on the size/make of the engine and how fast it has to turn to push this critter.

Sailing or flying....any pilot should be able to calculate fuel consumption....
Caribbean53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 17:55   #17
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

ok, but plane fuel consumption is known and fixed with a small number of variables. for a given rpm, altitude, attitude, each plane has a gph that is known to be pretty accurate. so if this powercat is a Cessna 172RG, then i know exactly the fuel burn.

it is actually a 150HP pair, well here...

1999 Venturer Seawind 44 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 17:55   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: can you sail (only) on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
This boats sail rig should properly be called a stabilizer, I doubt it effects fuel efficiency much. However as a stabilizer the sail rig is probably much better and more reliable than an expensive hydraulic stabilizer. And any added boost to fuel economy is a bonus!
I would second this opinion, the sails are for stabilizing the boat when out in the ocean. I have been on motor yachts without active stabilizers in the ocean and it is really uncomfortable unless you are plowing almost directly into the waves.
- - The sails on this motor yacht are most probably used to exert a wind pressure to keep the rolling down to a reasonable amount for those who cannot afford active stabilizers.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 19:10   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

scoobert -- I trust you are doing your due diligence on both the Venturer (better known as Aventure) and the Lagoon power cats? If you haven't, I suggest you should certainly do so. Google is your friend.

There are good reasons why most (in fact, almost all) of the power cats that were so popular only a few years ago are actually no longer made -- at all.

As for the Bruce Roberts, it just simply isn't designed with sailing in mind. That is an emergency system meant to keep some steering and making slow progress in the event that everything goes down the tubes.

If you want to burn fuel, then get a boat made to do that. You want to go to places like the Drake Passage, then look at Steve Dashew's boats: DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website

You don't want to burn fuel, then get a sailboat, one that's meant to sail. Bastardized designs just don't cut it.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 19:21   #20

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
ok, but plane fuel consumption is known and fixed with a small number of variables. for a given rpm, altitude, attitude, each plane has a gph that is known to be pretty accurate. so if this powercat is a Cessna 172RG, then i know exactly the fuel burn.

it is actually a 150HP pair, well here...

1999 Venturer Seawind 44 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
all boat engines have a fixed amount that they will burn per hour at a certain RPH (revolutions per hour),,,this you will find in the manual from the manufacture of the build. If you take the RPH and times that by 24 you will have you daily burn,,,,but of course this does not take into account the current. There are schools that you can go to that will be able to get you the formulas,,,you might want to consider going to Google and in the search box type in marine schools 100ton license. This will give you a list of marine schools that can assist you on the current, deviation, variation and such,.......just like being a pilot only on the water instead of the air
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 19:27   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post

There are good reasons why most (in fact, almost all) of the power cats that were so popular only a few years ago are actually no longer made -- at all.
ID
i did not know they stopped making them?
could it be the economy like in the RV biz?
Old 12-06-2011, 19:34   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

can you sail this without using the engines?

If you are stuck on big trawler types with sails, steadying or otherwise, I have worked on many Nordhavn and really like them.
Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
Nordhavn 56 Motorsailer under construction - Trawlers & Trawlering

We repaired a big Nordy a couple of years ago that hit a semi-submerged shipping container at speed. The damage was contained entirely in the bulbous bow. When we ground it back we discovered the glass was over four inches thick, and the whole bulbous bow had been poured full of cement. The glass was shattered but the boat still drove home something like a 1000 miles. A lot of their long distance blue water trawlers use steadying sails, and they have some cool motorsailors.
Of course I think they are all lame imitations of my boat...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 20:24   #23

All ribbing aside...

I've met a couple of driver teams that cruise for a year or two until the kitty is dry, then come back and drive for 6 months before going out again. Not a bad trade for a the lifestyle.
Old 12-06-2011, 21:21   #24

Boat: C&C Mega 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There's a bit more info about this boat here

I wander why it's not for sale to U.S. citizens in U.S. waters?
I've seen that often in yachtworld, and think it has something to do with import tax or something similar?

Looking at the "transatlantic crossing" photo in the pictures, I'm imaging someone in England building this trawler thinking he'll save a lot of money putting some sails on it, and travel the world in style. But after crossing the Atlantic maybe he's figures out it didn't work that well, and can't afford the fuel to get it back to Europe.

I really am curious why these boats are often "not for sale to U.S. citizens in U.S. waters"? I wouldn't think there's anything that wrong with this particular boat without further understanding that.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 21:23   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean53 View Post
All ribbing aside...

I've met a couple of driver teams that cruise for a year or two until the kitty is dry, then come back and drive for 6 months before going out again. Not a bad trade for a the lifestyle.
precisely, please tell me they had a blog? i do expedited hot shot, coast to coast.
plan is 2 working year while living on the boat, then i do a drake and Antarctica jaunt, come up the west coast, work from CA for a year before my world tour. very cool to know someone else has done it.
Old 12-06-2011, 21:35   #26

Quote:
precisely, please tell me they had a blog?
Sorry to say I don't know if they do. One couple I met were at a sailing club in Tacoma (PSSI). He was already a sailor and had been cruising. She became his other half (and other half of the driving team) and was taking sailing lessons at the club.

Seems like a good way to go. If you have experience and do long haul you can rack up some bucks team driving and can find a job in most any port when you need to replenish the kitty.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:55   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I have removed several off topic and snarky posts.

Please stay on topic and polite. If you can't handle reading something from a particular poster without resorting to a snarky reply it is best to use the ignore option. If you are unsure how to do that please PM any member of the moderation team and we are happy to help.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:56   #28

Boat: private yacht always moving

I really am curious why these boats are often "not for sale to U.S. citizens in U.S. waters"? I wouldn't think there's anything that wrong with this particular boat without further understanding that.

has to do with taxes,,,most likely a foreign flag boat and if sold in the US to US citizen then there will be a LARGE tax due,,,this happenes with Mega yachts all the time,,,they just take a trip to the bahamas and do the paper work there,,,then come back tot he US on a temporary cruising permit
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:01   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It would be nice to see Bruce chime in on this boat.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 13:41   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

If the price of diesel hadn't skyrocketed I would be looking at something like this myself.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail